The Man in Blue

NFHS offering free online courses during “stay at home” time

We received an e-mail from IHSA today stating NFHS is offering free online officiating courses through July 1.

We may not get back on the dirt this year, but we can still get better!

I haven’t checked any out yet, but the link is https://nfhslearn.com/courses

• Like 1

Just looked, and while there are courses for officiating softball, basketball, football & volleyball, I couldn't find a course for officiating baseball. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Why don't they have a class for Underwater Basket Weaving?

I mean, they seem to have everything else on there......:Facepalm:

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2020 at 7:51 AM, Mad Mike said:

Why don't they have a class for Underwater Basket Weaving?

I mean, they seem to have everything else on there......:Facepalm:

Wasnt that a major at Ohio State back in the day?

Well, it looks like my last year of HS Ball................turned into just that.     LAST YEAR!

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear that AA.  Thank you for the time you have given to it though!

I still have more years left in me (hopefully), but they won’t be here.  A few days ago I accepted a spot in a program that will be taking me to Mississippi for a few years (at least).  It isn’t so much that I have worked my last games here, it was that I didn’t know that at the time.  I will miss the guys and gals that I have worked with over the last near-decade.

Appreciate it when you are out there ... every day, every game, every pitch.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Sorry to hear that AA.  Thank you for the time you have given to it though!

I still have more years left in me (hopefully), but they won’t be here.  A few days ago I accepted a spot in a program that will be taking me to Mississippi for a few years (at least).  It isn’t so much that I have worked my last games here, it was that I didn’t know that at the time.  I will miss the guys and gals that I have worked with over the last near-decade.

Appreciate it when you are out there ... every day, every game, every pitch.

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not leaving Little League though.  With 2 replaced knees, a 2 level neck fusion, and from having Uncle Sam chew me up for 12 years, physically, it's just time.  I don't feel I can get around on a bigger diamond, like I used to with a 2 man rotation.  I can't keep up with a 15-18 year old runner very well.  When I feel that I can no longer give the players what they deserve, it's time to step aside.  Granted, when comparing field size to speed of plays........I just don't have as far to go on a little field.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, Aging_Arbiter said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not leaving Little League though.  With 2 replaced knees, a 2 level neck fusion, and from having Uncle Sam chew me up for 12 years, physically, it's just time.  I don't feel I can get around on a bigger diamond, like I used to with a 2 man rotation.  I can't keep up with a 15-18 year old runner very well.  When I feel that I can no longer give the players what they deserve, it's time to step aside.  Granted, when comparing field size to speed of plays........I just don't have as far to go on a little field.

Are they including this new training right now in your area yet?

https://www.readingeagle.com/sports/high-school/piaa-doubles-penalty-for-in-game-ejections/article_68a5438a-b00f-11ea-921c-03ba9cf67ac7.html

The increased penalty has been criticized because some believe it unfairly punishes football more harshly. A two-game suspension in football represents 20% of a 10-game regular season, but only 9% of a 22-game basketball schedule.

I'm OK with just making the penalty 20% of your season across the board.  :stir