Referee.com Case Play of the Day

yawetag
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1476 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10 hours ago, yawetag said:

Looks like referee.com is beginning a "Case Play of the Day" through an email list (https://www.referee.com/freecaseplays/).

Might pick and choose a few each week to post here as well. Give our brains a chance to think while sitting at home.

Please do...my first thought when I saw the title was "What did they get wrong this time?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Please do...my first thought when I saw the title was "What did they get wrong this time?"

Mine too. But if they use this system to vet rulings before publishing them in the magazine, their content will benefit.

They're 1 for 1.

APPEAL LOST?

PLAY

With a runner on first, B1 hits a single and R2 scores. The defense announces it will appeal that R2 missed third. With a live ball, the pitcher prepares to make his appeal when B1, who has stopped at first, breaks for second. F1’s throw is (a) in time to retire B1, or (b) not in time.

RULING

In NFHS, a dead-ball appeal should be made, but if a live-ball appeal is made, the appeal opportunity is not lost in either (a) or (b). In NCAA, the appeal also is not lost in either (a) or (b), but in pro the appeal is lost in either case (NFHS 8-2-6; NCAA 8-6b4; pro 5.09c)

The play reads, "With a runner on first" and "R2 scores" but says nothing about other runners on base, so it sounds like there was only one baserunner. Prossibly a minor editorial oversight, or did I misread the play?

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

The play reads, "With a runner on first" and "R2 scores" but says nothing about other runners on base, so it sounds like there was only one baserunner. Prossibly a minor editorial oversight, or did I misread the play?

You did not. It was something missed I  editing evidently.