Sign in to follow this  
Gil

Viral Insult - Umpires Allegedly Ordered to Pay MiLB

Minor League Baseball purportedly asked its umpires to write checks to the league office as umps remain out of work, the opposite of the cash flow direction MiLB is taking with its players. Whereas MLB will pay players and major league umpires remain under contract, the story is different in Minor...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Going to be an unpopular opinion ... but if you were give an advance on a per diem, I think sending it back is not an unreasonable request.

The unemployment thing is not just unreasonable though, but I would question the legality.  These are the issues that blur that line between “employee” and “independent contractor”.

while it would be a great bit of charity to allow them to keep it, it is supposed to be reimbursement for expenses that won't be incurred, so I can't get too outrageously outraged over this one.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Going to be an unpopular opinion ... but if you were give an advance on a per diem, I think sending it back is not an unreasonable request.

The unemployment thing is not just unreasonable though, but I would question the legality.  These are the issues that blur that line between “employee” and “independent contractor”.

These guys are employees and subject to a collective bargaining agreement. No blur there.

@LMSANS thank you — I thought they were, but then I was second-guessing myself.

I assume the difference then is that players are employed by the teams while umpires are employed by the leagues.

16 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

@LMSANS thank you — I thought they were, but then I was second-guessing myself.

I assume the difference then is that players are employed by the teams while umpires are employed by the leagues.

Actually, I think the umpires are employed by MiLB. The players can be employees of the big league team or the local team. Again the CBAs talk about these things or provide a basis for the discussion.