Origin of this website's name?

Senor Azul
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1491 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Perhaps this cartoon was the inspiration for the name of this website? Check out the book that Bullwinkle is reading about 12 seconds into the video. And, of course, that is Bullwinkle J. Moose performing as his alter ego Mr. Know-It-All.

• Like 4

I believe he is actually recalling it from when he watched it on its original airing.

Sorry, @Senor Azul.  I got called “old” on another forum today for posting Lynda Carter Wonder Woman gifs ... just paying it forward!  :cheers:

Seriously though, I do recall watching Rocky and Bullwinkle in a little 25-cent “nickelodeon” (no, not capital “N” like the network) at K-Mart as my parents checked out.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:08 PM, SJA said:

50 > 60 year old cartoons are the best! . . . not like the crap of today :-(

You do realize every adult has a problem with cartoons that weren't aired during their generation?

The same is true for music, books, and transportation to school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

You do realize every adult has a problem with cartoons that weren't aired during their generation?

The same is true for music, books, and transportation to school.

Sure do, . . . and damn glad I'm an "old schooler!

Popeye.jpg

I still find it disheartening to see how soft (SAWFT for my southern brethren in blue) the younger generations have become.  I was just talking with a co-worker on Friday about how we grew up in a time where violent cartoons, jungle gym's on playground macadam, and standing up in the front seat of a car as a child. But I digress........ 

22 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I still find it disheartening to see how soft (SAWFT for my southern brethren in blue) the younger generations have become.  I was just talking with a co-worker on Friday about how we grew up in a time where violent cartoons, jungle gym's on playground macadam, and standing up in the front seat of a car as a child. But I digress........ 

Not just violent cartoons, but the most violent TV show in history which happened to be a cartoon -- Looney Tunes!

Or has that been surpassed finally?

• Like 1

Two counter-examples:

• My kids (they're all in their early 20's now) all really enjoyed the Looney Toons DVD's I bought.
  • Although I would still argue that much of today's pop music sucks, there are a couple of bands my kids have introduced me to, that I really enjoy.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:47 AM, Senor Azul said:

Perhaps this cartoon was the inspiration for the name of this website?

I use to love the reruns of Rocky & Bullwinkle when I was a kid and there were actually Saturday morning cartoons. I'd have to go to one of the UHF stations to get it.