aaluck

COVID-19 about to Cancel HS in Alabama

Question

Guys, this whole coronavirus is about to shut baseball (youth and HS) down here in Alabama.  Our city officials are meeting today and will decide what to do about the Dixie Youth.

This spring/summer is going to suck.  I look forward to umping.   

Anyone else effected yet?

14 answers to this question

Texas

Highschool - Shutdown

District 14 - LL is shutdown

My boy and I crew together and we were looking to working this weekend.

Stupid virus!

• Like 1

They haven't officially shut down HS ball in Texas. But i have no doubt it is coming.

We've been told its up to the individual schools as of now, but i can't imagine they aren't going to err on the side of caution.

NC shut down effective midnight tonight until April 6 at which time it will supposedly be re-evaluated. Go figure there's rain today. Who'da thunk it, right?

Well they just shut down the youth season, didn't specify how long.  As of now my HS games are still on for this afternoon.

1 hour ago, BigVic69 said:

My boy and I crew together and we were looking to working this weekend.

Me too.  Look forward to it every spring.  We did get a couple of HS games in together.

Some New Jersey Athletic conferences are cancelling their schedules through April 13. There is no state wide mandate as yet. 

Our LL District is on hiatus until 4/6, but unless something drastic changes, that date will most likely move again.

HS - my sons district cancelled all sporting contests, although teams can still practice. I was scheduled to umpire at Anaheim Stadium on Monday for a HS game, but one of the schools district just posted they are cancelling all sports contests as well... so although my Arbiter still shows the game as current, it is not going to happen.

Several of our districts are stating games can commence provided no fans are in attendance... should make for quiet games :cool:.

I bet within the next day or so, these districts will come around and cancel these contests as well. I know many umpires who, regardless of the districts stances will not work games due to the increased risk factors... especially when you consider a HUGE swath of our umpires are in the higher risk age category. 

Sucks for Seniors, but such is life.

Stay safe my friends. 

Kevin

LL shut down in accordance with school closing.  School district shutting down until 3/30 (for now).  My 1st game WAS scheduled for 3/20...............so I get it.

PIAA to meet this weekend to determine action on spring sports.

On the lighter side, my wife sent this to me today.........

facebook_1584113670505_331845705015950.jpg

• Like 2

As of Saturday night it looks like we are shut down. HS, college and youth. Good luck guys. Stay safe and see you next year. 

On 3/13/2020 at 7:25 AM, aaluck said:

Guys, this whole coronavirus is about to shut baseball (youth and HS) down here in Alabama.  Our city officials are meeting today and will decide what to do about the Dixie Youth.

This spring/summer is going to suck.  I look forward to umping.   

Anyone else effected yet?

All games in my area canceled until April 10.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:46 AM, Mudisfun said:

Our LL District is on hiatus until 4/6, but unless something drastic changes, that date will most likely move again.

HS - my sons district cancelled all sporting contests, although teams can still practice. I was scheduled to umpire at Anaheim Stadium on Monday for a HS game, but one of the schools district just posted they are cancelling all sports contests as well... so although my Arbiter still shows the game as current, it is not going to happen.

Several of our districts are stating games can commence provided no fans are in attendance... should make for quiet games :cool:.

I bet within the next day or so, these districts will come around and cancel these contests as well. I know many umpires who, regardless of the districts stances will not work games due to the increased risk factors... especially when you consider a HUGE swath of our umpires are in the higher risk age category. 

Sucks for Seniors, but such is life.

Stay safe my friends. 

Kevin

I've been wondering why it is ok for the teams to practice, but not play and just allow the 2 umpires to attend and no family members.

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

I've been wondering why it is ok for the teams to practice, but not play and just allow the 2 umpires to attend and no family members.

It's not.  But that isn't stopping people.  Ignorance is a deadly weapon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, umpstu said:

One of the schools here emailed saying schools closed until April 13, they have to then get 10 practices in for players to be eligible to play in a game.