Foul ball attempted to catch while standing in fair territory deflected

Guest Coach Darryle
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1477 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Coach Darryle

I had this "discussion" a few days ago.  A pop us is hit down the 3rd base line behind 3rd base.  The 3rd baseman has both feet inside fair territory, the ball looks like it is going foul, but the 3rd baseman tries to catch it and it goes off of his glove and lands in foul territory.  I'm claiming the ball is now fair.  Others are saying it is a foul ball.  Who is right?  I also claim that it doesn't even matter if it was in the infield and it happened.

3 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Guest Coach Darryle said:

I had this "discussion" a few days ago.  A pop us is hit down the 3rd base line behind 3rd base.  The 3rd baseman has both feet inside fair territory, the ball looks like it is going foul, but the 3rd baseman tries to catch it and it goes off of his glove and lands in foul territory.  I'm claiming the ball is now fair.  Others are saying it is a foul ball.  Who is right?  I also claim that it doesn't even matter if it was in the infield and it happened.

On a ball touched in flight, the position of the ball when first touched is what determines if it is fair or foul. If any part of it is over fair territory, it is fair. If not, it is foul.

12 hours ago, Guest Coach Darryle said:

The 3rd baseman has both feet inside fair territory, the ball looks like it is going foul, but the 3rd baseman tries to catch it and it goes off of his glove and lands in foul territory

On a pop-up where a fielders FEET (or any other part) are has no relevance to your question.  The fielder could be laying in fair territory with only his glove in foul territory.  KISS (keep it simple stupid) was the ball OVER fair (fair ball) or foul (foul ball) territory when it was FIRST touched in flight.  Does not matter where it finally hit the ground.