Guest Coach Darryle

Ball bounces a few times before hitting batter

Question

Guest Coach Darryle

I get into a "discussion" about this every year at least once.  A kid bounces a pitch in front of the batter.  The batter is trying to get out of the way.  It hits the batter.  It is a hit by pitch, take first and it's a dead ball.  I have others saying it is a ball and live.  They are trying to have their kids run around the bases and/or steal home.  Please set them right.

14 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Guest Coach Darryle said:

I get into a "discussion" about this every year at least once.  A kid bounces a pitch in front of the batter.  The batter is trying to get out of the way.  It hits the batter.  It is a hit by pitch, take first and it's a dead ball.  I have others saying it is a ball and live.  They are trying to have their kids run around the bases and/or steal home.  Please set them right.

Hit by pitch.   Umpire shall call "Time, and award the batter first base.  This is a dead-ball situation.  If other runners are on base, everyone advances if forced to do so.

Yes, BUT... Your title says "bounces a few times" (I'm thinking lower-level rec league stuff) - if the pitch does indeed bounce more than once, the batter can't just stand there stock-still and expect a base. That is "permitting a pitched ball to touch him" - dead ball, and a ball to the batter.

The first part of the rule is REAAAALLLLLY easy....ANY pitch that hits a batter is a dead ball.   

The second is the judgment part - determining whether or not it was as strike, or if the batter allowed himself to be hit, or if he should be granted first base.

11 hours ago, Guest Coach Darryle said:

Please set them right.

Please set who right?  Are you asking us to send a random memo to thirty million parents explaining the rule?   With whom are you having these discussions?

Are you running across umpires who are getting this wrong?

• Like 1

If you are playing something sanctioned, everybody here is already on it.

However, if it is low-level or a house league, make sure you check your rules.  I have seen rec leagues with house rules that it is a dead ball, but never a HBP if it bounces first.  When I’ve seen it, it was always been a “reactive house rule” to expectations of atrocious pitching.

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Please set who right?  Are you asking us to send a random memo to thirty million parents explaining the rule?   With whom are you having these discussions?

Are you running across umpires who are getting this wrong?

Look, we can get this done - we're ALL gonna have a lot of free time on our hands soon, the way this is playing out.  @beerguy55, I'll take south-central Texas, and just door-knock - always remaining 6' away from everyone I talk to, of course.  Let's get a sign-up sheet going, fellas!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

The original post says the batter was trying to get out of the way he didn't just stand there and let the bouncing ball hit him.

I've got HBP, dead ball, batter to first, runners advance if forced.

I cannot think of a situation off the top of my head where a batter hit by pitch is not a dead ball situation. I'm sure someone will come up with an exception here, which is partially why I'm posting it. I don't think it's going to happen, but I am curious.

1 hour ago, WilsonFlyer said:

I cannot think of a situation off the top of my head where a batter hit by pitch is not a dead ball situation. I'm sure someone will come up with an exception here, which is partially why I'm posting it. I don't think it's going to happen, but I am curious.

No one will, because there is none.

A rare absolute in baseball.

As has already been said: the only thing a bounced pitch cannot be is a called strike.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, maven said:

the only thing a bounced pitch cannot be is a called strike.

What about pitch that bounces and the batter swings his leg up and kicks it while it's in the strike zone?

56 minutes ago, Young_Ump said:

What about pitch that bounces and the batter swings his leg up and kicks it while it's in the strike zone?

What about it?

13 hours ago, Young_Ump said:

Ohh never mind. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. Sorry.

I suffer from that too..

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.