The Man in Blue

The COVID-19 Thread - Discussion & Cancellations

1 minute ago, yawetag said:

That's not 6 feet around - it's barely 3 feet!

RE: NCAA Registration that @Kevin_K posted. So you lose your registration for this year and only get a 25% reduction next year? Wow.

That's what it sounds like.  It's going to happen with every state here eventually for high school as well

4 hours ago, yawetag said:

RE: NCAA Registration that @Kevin_K posted. So you lose your registration for this year and only get a 25% reduction next year? Wow.

I don't think that's bad at all. Some did get to do some games.  ( I didn't). We got our books, we get access to the great videos and rule interps on Arbiter. 

As for our State and high school goes, I wouldn't count on NJ giving us a red cent back for this year, or lowering costs for next year. 

• Confused 1

On 4/1/2020 at 8:37 AM, yawetag said:

That's not 6 feet around - it's barely 3 feet!

My thought on both topics!

That is just so very generous of the NCAA!  :sarcasm:

I received an e-mail from our local USA Softball organization that they are cancelling the remaining clinics and waiving the requirement to attend ... we just need to go ahead and send them the $100 registration fee to be eligible for this year.  :big_no  I’m guessing they don’t plan on refunding anything either when the inevitable plug comes out.

So glad I hadn’t paid anybody yet ... 

• Like 1

Nebraska (NSAA) cancelled all spring sports.

Edit:   They are rolling our 2020 registration fee to 2021.

Edited by BLarson

On Monday, 3/30, PIAA announced that it is continuing to postpone the basketball and swimming championships, rather than cancel them, and postponing any decision about spring sports.

I have no idea about the summer baseball leagues I work, but I haven't paid that assigner's fee yet. If PIAA can postpone decisions, so can I.

My honest opinion: The only state that even might have a shot at a season is Iowa, since they don't start until summer anyway.

• Like 2

Michigan Governor has closed k-12 schools for the school year.  Supposedly, the MHSAA will announce it's direction no later than tomorrow, however other MHSAA brothers are reporting their Arbiter App blowing up with cancellations, with some already completely wiped out :no: 

We are done here in Alabama. The AHSAA has basically said nothing but the Gov. has closed every school in the state.  

Quite frankly I'm far more concerned about my "real" job at this point.

I URGE all of you to file a claim under the Payroll Protection Prorgam.  As umpires you are an independent contractor and we are all covered.  Also, if you are part of a small business (owner/employee) you can get relief there as well. In most cases the amount you receive will be forgiven if you comply with the rules.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/PPP--Fact-Sheet.pdf

Good luck guys.

They've closed Texas schools through at least 4 May, but for the life of me, I can't imagine why they'd bother trying after that (can't remember how deep into the year they usually go).  So I'm trying to just reconcile myself with losing the rest of the year.  At least I got a dozen or so in before the hammer dropped, and I seemed to be making a name for myself - a good one, I mean! - with my new group, so maybe something to build on, post-dystopia.

16 minutes ago, ousafe said:

WA state just closed schools until fall.  So the HS season is cooked.  Sorry @BT_Blue

Just saw the tweet thread from Inslee. I think this is the right decision in all honest. I can also file the ending of the HS season as the most obvious "no duh" thing ever. Like I said, I didnt expect it to happen anyway.

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

Just saw the tweet thread from Inslee. I think this is the right decision in all honest. I can also file the ending of the HS season as the most obvious "no duh" thing ever. Like I said, I didnt expect it to happen anyway.

Yup.  Toughest in our household is my older son lost his senior season (Garfield), and his chance to play in T-Mobile (he was injured last year).  Just bites.  But obviously the right thing to do.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ousafe said:

Yup.  Toughest in our household is my older son lost his senior season (Garfield), and his chance to play in T-Mobile (he was injured last year).  Just bites.  But obviously the right thing to do.

Well THAT'S interesting! Your boy still might not get to play at T-Mobile. But he still might get his senior season.... somewhat. 

IMG_20200406_172207.jpg

Food for thought:  For all of you, young and old alike, lamenting this year's temporary loss of sports, senior proms, partying, and other activities due to this crisis, I can safely guarantee if you're lucky enough to grow older,  you most likely will experience many more disappointments in your lives. It's part of life folks.

SJA :-(

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ousafe said:

Senior in high school myself. Losing this season (both playing, and the fact that it would've been my first baseball season working school ball) was/is crushing. It really, really sucks. Especially since I'm not good enough to play anywhere else, so this is pretty much the end of my playing career. 

• Sad 1

On 4/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, kylehutson said:

My honest opinion: The only state that even might have a shot at a season is Iowa, since they don't start until summer anyway.

I'm down to go work some games

17 hours ago, ousafe said:

I hate that for your son, and all seniors. In Alabama they have canceled graduation ceremonies.

Misery loves company. I'm working from home and spend more time talking with folks about this "situation" than work related stuff. It's impossible to comprehend all of the folks effected in so many different ways.  Things you don't even consider...  I went for a drive, just to get out of the house for a couple of hours and parking lots are empty

• Like 1

American Legion Baseball National Tournaments (World Series and Regionals) Canceled

https://www.legion.org/baseball/248077/legion-baseball-registration-open-2020-season

"With the unpredictability of the current worldwide COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, the manner in which the virus spreads, its duration and the resulting public health regulations and restrictions across the nation, The American Legion is facing an improbable situation. The Americanism Commission, in consultation with National Commander James William “Bill” Oxford, announces cancellation of all 2020 American Legion Baseball national tournaments, inclusive of all eight 2020 Regional Tournaments and the 2020 American Legion World Series. Questions regarding regular season play within your department should be directed to your department baseball committee chairman. The awarding of American Legion Baseball scholarships for 2020 have also been completely suspended.

"The decision to cancel was extremely difficult but deemed necessary, first and foremost in the interest of health and safety, and in the face of uncertainty. As Americanism Commission Richard Anderson noted, “These times are unparalleled. And while it is distressing to think of all those youth across the nation who are disappointed to learn of the cancellation of American Legion programs this year, it would be a much, much greater tragedy if even just one of those youth were to fall ill during a program. The Americanism Commission feels this is the right thing to do".”

17 hours ago, Biscuit said:

Senior in high school myself. Losing this season (both playing, and the fact that it would've been my first baseball season working school ball) was/is crushing. It really, really sucks. Especially since I'm not good enough to play anywhere else, so this is pretty much the end of my playing career. 

That does suck. We'll be happy to keep you on this side of the playing field, though. It's refreshing to see young guys getting out there and getting good on the third team

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lawump said:

American Legion Baseball National Tournaments (World Series and Regionals) Canceled

https://www.legion.org/baseball/248077/legion-baseball-registration-open-2020-season

"With the unpredictability of the current worldwide COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, the manner in which the virus spreads, its duration and the resulting public health regulations and restrictions across the nation, The American Legion is facing an improbable situation. The Americanism Commission, in consultation with National Commander James William “Bill” Oxford, announces cancellation of all 2020 American Legion Baseball national tournaments, inclusive of all eight 2020 Regional Tournaments and the 2020 American Legion World Series. Questions regarding regular season play within your department should be directed to your department baseball committee chairman. The awarding of American Legion Baseball scholarships for 2020 have also been completely suspended.

"The decision to cancel was extremely difficult but deemed necessary, first and foremost in the interest of health and safety, and in the face of uncertainty. As Americanism Commission Richard Anderson noted, “These times are unparalleled. And while it is distressing to think of all those youth across the nation who are disappointed to learn of the cancellation of American Legion programs this year, it would be a much, much greater tragedy if even just one of those youth were to fall ill during a program. The Americanism Commission feels this is the right thing to do".”

I feel like this one, in particular is a bit premature. Teams can't even start practicing until HS season is done. It almost seems like a race to see who can be the most proactive, even if that means it's not warranted. I'm not saying it won't be warranted, just that we don't know yet. It seems a little ... trigger-happy?

Don't get me wrong. I have asthma, and I'm not doing anything to endanger myself or others. But there has to come an end to this at some point.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

I feel like this one, in particular is a bit premature. Teams can't even start practicing until HS season is done. It almost seems like a race to see who can be the most proactive, even if that means it's not warranted. I'm not saying it won't be warranted, just that we don't know yet. It seems a little ... trigger-happy?

Don't get me wrong. I have asthma, and I'm not doing anything to endanger myself or others. But there has to come an end to this at some point.

It's more about being realistic about long-term planning, and recognizing that some things that are occurring two/three months from now need to start work today, which they can't.   And the reality is it will be at least another month before anyone knows where things are headed, before there's any hope of most people leaving their homes for more than just groceries...It's trying to give people notice, rather than keeping them in limbo.

Here in Calgary the city has closed all city-run events, and access to all city-owned parks and recreational facilities, until June 30.  So, sports teams here can't play or practice until then.  With Provincials starting in early July, those realistically are going to be a challenge to happen - for Calgary-based teams, they're done.   Then Nationals.  Well, work on that would be going on right now...not to mention there might not be any way for teams to qualify.  And nobody can plan any kind of travel.    I see the same thing happening in the states...planning and certain activities would need to be happening now.

I personally think things like the NFL preseason, the tennis US Open and Little League World Series are not happening, or in serious jeopardy.  Even if things are back to "normal" by end of June...or mostly normal...there won't be enough time to properly plan and execute some of those things.

This pandemic is going to last 18 months...even if we flatten the curve, we're only kicking the can down the road, to make things more manageable, so everyone isn't in the hospital this weekend...we're still going to have to social distance and take other precautions, even if most of us get back to work by June...I suspect in both our countries it will be mandatory to wear masks in public until at least the end of the year.   Until either an anti-viral treatment or vaccine is developed.

So what would that mean for amateur baseball?  Even if businesses started opening in June.   A baseball that is touched by 25 people over the course of a game.  Where social distancing is impossible.  You gonna be six feet behind the catcher?  How about the plate meeting?  You willing to ump a game where a single player or coach is not wearing a mask?  How many would be?  Think any parent wants their kid sitting in a dugout with 15 other kids?

This summer is over...the sooner people accept it the better.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Think any parent wants their kid sitting in a dugout with 15 other kids?

Based on some of the comments posted on Facebook to my state's athletic association? Yes.

The level of unbelief (disbelief?) some people have toward the seriousness is amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

Based on some of the comments posted on Facebook to my state's athletic association? Yes.

The level of unbelief (disbelief?) some people have toward the seriousness is amazing.

Absolutely ^that.  People are failing to grasp that it isn't about whether or not they get sick as an individual, but what continuing the rapid spread can do.

I've already seen people pointing to New York and saying "see, it's going down, it's over!"  We still have the rest of the country to go.  Illinois announced it's largest one-day death total (so far) yesterday.

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Absolutely ^that.  People are failing to grasp that it isn't about whether or not they get sick as an individual, but what continuing the rapid spread can do.

I've already seen people pointing to New York and saying "see, it's going down, it's over!"  We still have the rest of the country to go.  Illinois announced it's largest one-day death total (so far) yesterday.

We're not there yet, but we are pretty close. The model by the University of Washington has the peak occuring a week from today, with a number of states already surpassing that point. 

Don't get me wrong, the Corona Virus is serious, but there's also been some unnecessary alarmism. Unless something changes drastically, there's no reason we can't be back to mostly normal life by June, or July at the latest.

• Like 1