The COVID-19 Thread - Discussion & Cancellations

The Man in Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 660 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Thanks to @The Man in Blue for starting this thread, as disappointing as it could be.  I'm going to make this thread "sticky" until this is all over (Hopefully sooner than later).   This will be a place for all to go to discuss what's happening in your area, game cancellations, etc, etc ...  Free for all is the best overall forum for this type of topic.   Hopefully we all don't miss our school seasons!  Be well, -  Thunderheads

ON EDIT:  Under NO circumstance whatsoever will Political discussions, opinions or disputes be tolerated here.  PLEASE ... this entire ordeal that's upon us IS APOLITICAL.  Let's keep it that way! :nod: 

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/12/major-league-baseball-to-suspend-baseball-operations-indefinitely/

Major League Baseball to ‘suspend baseball operations indefinitely’

Major League Baseball has decided to “suspend baseball operations indefinitely” in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. That means it will suspend spring training, effective tomorrow, and will almost certainly delay to the start of the 2020 regular season. The decision was made on a conference call which concluded moments ago. An official announcement is expected to come shortly.

15 hours ago, umpstu said:

I didn't want it to happen, but it should happen.  It's for real.

There's no doubt it's real.   Unfortunately, it's been blown WAAAAAYYYYYYYY out of proportion, to the point where we now have absolute pandemonium among the population.  People are acting as though this is apocalypse and while it's for 'real' .... the panic is ABSURD.     Again, ... REAL, ...but the reaction is absurd.   Thanks media.  Don't believe me, don't agree.... fine.   Just let me know how you're next shopping trip to Target/Costco, or ANYWHERE for that matter goes.  :rolleyes: :banghead: :bang: :no:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

My area of Ohio (Licking and Knox County) is postponed until at least 4/6, then it will be a wait-and-see approach.

Same with Michigan.  Assignor has sent out mass-email to all ADs to see where teams/games stand.  So far, only one official cancellation due to 'no school'.  Michigan schools shut down for 3 weeks

• Like 1

Little League International issued guidance to shut down league operations until April 6--not mandatory, but with the explicit note that leagues had better be in contact with local health departments if they were making a decision otherwise.  Looks like everyone in VA District 4 complied (including ours).

JuCo games in my area suspended until at least April 1. NAIA games are at the discretion of the hosting school (at least for now). High schools are (again, at least for now) still on.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the doubleheader I had yesterday was my last game of the season.

IHSA (Illinois High School Association) has cancelled all post season events, including “The Original March Madness” state basketball tournament.

www.ihsa.org

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) announced on March 12, 2020, that it has canceled its remaining winter State Series postseason tournaments, which include Boys Basketball, Scholastic Bowl, Drama & Group Interpretation, Music, Debate and Journalism, over concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

My 8th grade volleyball Sectional Final was canceled last night, along with the rest of the state series.   

From the notes from our local superintendent and the Regional Office of Education, I will be surprised if kids go back to school on Monday.

And today is my first day substitute teaching (prep period now) ... :meditation:

While running the risk of being duplicative, I'll add that not only did MLB stand down, but also the NCAA has cancelled all sports and tournaments this Spring.  High schools in places where I have friends have suspended (but not yet cancelled). 

And I just got a note from my Little League assignor that says that Hq LL has recommended standing down as well.  Consequently, my league has suspended operations until April 14th.  

FWIW.

Mike

Las Vegas

1 hour ago, kylehutson said:

JuCo games in my area suspended until at least April 1. NAIA games are at the discretion of the hosting school (at least for now). High schools are (again, at least for now) still on.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the doubleheader I had yesterday was my last game of the season.

...and my local NAIA league just "suspended indefinitely"

Well the good news is that the SCHSL has not canceled high school sports in South Carolina, yet.  So now, thanks to Coronavirus, we have four college umpires working a high school game tonight.  The game is scheduled to be played at the Columbia, SC, minor league stadium.  We all won't be paid (they only pay for 2 umpires during the regular season), but we said "screw it...we'll divide the money up into fourths.  Let's just go have fun!"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

LL in our area is closed until at least 4/6, per the recommendation of LL HQ.

HS - My son's district has cancelled all games, but they can practice. Many other districts are cancelling, or they are currently moving to a 'no fans in attendance' policy, although in the next week or so, I bet that changes.

As for the hysteria... if our media could stop being a debate channel and get back to actual reporting of facts, and if our leaders could stop bickering and actually lead, much of the hype surrounding these events could be quelled. As it is, the lack of information, conflicting information or just passing of bad/poor information is driving people to react, thus the fun at the local Target or Costco.

Stay safe.... wash your hands and wait for the zombie apocalypse. 

• Like 6

NJ high school is pretty much shut down until at least 4-1. Still have one scrimmage not canceled on 3-26. One conference I work in has cancelled through 4-9.

Can someone explain to me why we can't play a baseball game outside on an open field with maybe 20-30 people watching, but we can still cram ourselves into a tin can like sardines and fly across the country breathing the same air for 3+ hours?? :WTF:shrug:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Can someone explain to me why we can't play a baseball game outside on an open field with maybe 20-30 people watching, but we can still cram ourselves into a tin can like sardines and fly across the country breathing the same air for 3+ hours?? :WTF:shrug:

I know what you mean.

In OH, if school is out or cancelled for any reason, then all school events have to be cancelled for that day as well.  So, the governor gave them 3 weeks off, so that means sports gets a 3 week break as well.  I understand they can practice, but no games or competitions.

2 hours ago, lawump said:

Well the good news is that the SCHSL has not canceled high school sports in South Carolina, yet.  So now, thanks to Coronavirus, we have four college umpires working a high school game tonight.  The game is scheduled to be played at the Columbia, SC, minor league stadium.  We all won't be paid (they only pay for 2 umpires during the regular season), but we said "screw it...we'll divide the money up into fourths.  Let's just go have fun!"

Spring breaks are coming soon. I think they're going to try and get school in this coming week, then cancel the next three (week before, week of, week after Spring Break - at least for this area).

Even if they have to cancel early this coming week, it allows students at least a day to pick up books, computers, etc. they might need before the extended, probably online, time away from school.

Just my thought as a parent with children in SC schools.

We're just coming out of spring break here, but TASO just announced that the private school league/conglomerate/association in Texas has killed all spring sports until 12 April.

And don't go so rough on this being a "media thing," gang.  The people hoarding TP are enormous [bad redacted word] [less bad redacted word]s, with NO help from outside sources.  It's been happening in other countries, and despite everyone laughing at all the memes, that say VERY explicitly that TP's not a need or requirement in relation to this, Americans are showing that we can be just as stupid as EVERYbody else, when we set our minds to it.

So in my day job, I work for a national ISP. We just announced that if schools close and students need to be shifted to distance/on line learning, we will provide them, assuming they are not already customers, free basic internet for up to 60 days.

When the cable industry starts to be proactive, I get worried!

Now if Waffle House closes, I know were screwed.

• Like 1