Hockey Coach Fired, Ref Doing OK.

Sut'n Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

40 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Not defending the coach but to me it looked like the ref pushed him to the ice 1st... that should be a firing too should it not?

If it's true that the coach spit on him, that started it

55 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Not defending the coach but to me it looked like the ref pushed him to the ice 1st... that should be a firing too should it not?

Hard to tell (as it is with most of these videos) ... but that is what it looked like to me.

14 minutes ago, udbrky said:

If it's true that the coach spit on him, that started it

Ehhh ... it started before that.  Regardless, spit doesn't mean I get to knock your @$$ down (even if you deserve it).

In the video it does appear the ref made the first direct physical contact; however, the scenario in total seems to be: the coach is being a jerk, ref appropriately ejects coach, coach, rather than leaving, goes onto ice where he confronts and gets belligerent with ref and then spits on him, ref responds by shoving coach, coach ends up on ass, coach gets up and goes Rocky on ref. 

Question is should the ref share some of the blame?

As I see it, if a coach gets himself ejected, refuses to leave, and then gets in the official's face and spits on him, the coach is a very real physical threat and has earned being treated as such. No blame on the ref.

• Like 1

Ok admittedly I only watched without sound a couple of times I missed the phlem flying portion of it but still. My thing would be in front of kids like that "to turn the other cheek"  move away from the guy and put distance between he and I.  Not to lay hands on him.  That to me for youth sports is too far.  You are an example for the kids, to me that was a bad example of how to handle that situation.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:53 PM, The Man in Blue said:

Hard to tell (as it is with most of these videos) ... but that is what it looked like to me.

Ehhh ... it started before that.  Regardless, spit doesn't mean I get to knock your @$$ down (even if you deserve it).

Anyone spits on me they are going down!!! :wacko:

• Like 1