Sign in to follow this  
udbrky

What are legal requirements of a head first slide

This has come up in our association meetings. The rule book does not define a legal non-feet first slide.

So if the player slides head first, what is the requirement to be legal?

- not leading with the shoulder/hands

- in a direct line

I'd say in a straight line on a force play, and just like a feet first slide, be on the ground before there's contact with a fielder. That's all I got. :shrug:

4 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I'd say in a straight line on a force play, and just like a feet first slide, be on the ground before there's contact with a fielder. That's all I got. :shrug:

How about a tag play?

2-32 f says it has to be on the ground, but on a force play. Seems like a legal slide is a legal slide, no matter what type of play.

5 minutes ago, udbrky said:

How about a tag play?

2-32 f says it has to be on the ground, but on a force play. Seems like a legal slide is a legal slide, no matter what type of play.

I think he'd still have to be on the ground before any contact. Otherwise I have interference, probably MC for diving into a fielder. On a tag play, he wouldn't need to be in a straight line. He can certainly dive to the side of the base away from the fielder and reach for the bag with his hand. An example would be sliding to the 3B foul side of HP and reaching a hand for the plate while F2 is fielding the throw up the 1B line. 

4 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I think he'd still have to be on the ground before any contact. Otherwise I have interference, probably MC for diving into a fielder. On a tag play, he wouldn't need to be in a straight line. He can certainly dive to the side of the base away from the fielder and reach for the bag with his hand. An example would be sliding to the 3B foul side of HP and reaching a hand for the plate while F2 is fielding the throw up the 1B line. 

I mean not going towards the fielder

12 minutes ago, udbrky said:

I mean not going towards the fielder

Do you mean, for example, he dives to home plate to score and the first thing to hit the ground is his hand on the plate? 

1 minute ago, Richvee said:

Do you mean, for example, he dives to home plate to score and the first thing to hit the ground is his hand on the plate? 

Well when I said straight line, I meant not veering at the fielder.

The play we were discussing i can't find. It was Kent State @ Indiana and PU ruled it an illegal slide. He took off F2's glove and at the point of contact, his knee maybe was just starting to tough the ground.

2 minutes ago, udbrky said:

Well when I said straight line, I meant not veering at the fielder.

The play we were discussing i can't find. It was Kent State @ Indiana and PU ruled it an illegal slide. He took off F2's glove and at the point of contact, his knee maybe was just starting to tough the ground.

Interesting. Love to see the play. Do you know for sure it was called an illegal slide, or did PU call INT for pulling the glove off/slapping at the ball? 

2 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Interesting. Love to see the play. Do you know for sure it was called an illegal slide, or did PU call INT for pulling the glove off/slapping at the ball? 

The presenter was a friend of the umpire who called him immediately after the game and he said it was ruled an illegal slide. 

• Like 1

That's interesting. I really don't see support for calling it an illegal slide in the NCAA rule book. I know this isn't a force play, but 8.4 force play slide rule says

a runner must slide on the ground before the base.

Then it goes on under exception (1) to say

"on the ground means either a head first slide or a slide with one leg and buttock on the ground before the base."

That pretty much says it doesn't matter what hits the ground first on a head first slide. I can't find any other references to illegal slides in the NCAA book. I could be missing it. ....

4 hours ago, Richvee said:

That's interesting. I really don't see support for calling it an illegal slide in the NCAA rule book. I know this isn't a force play, but 8.4 force play slide rule says

a runner must slide on the ground before the base.

Then it goes on under exception (1) to say

"on the ground means either a head first slide or a slide with one leg and buttock on the ground before the base."

That pretty much says it doesn't matter what hits the ground first on a head first slide. I can't find any other references to illegal slides in the NCAA book. I could be missing it. ....

Well going by your line of thinking you’re always “sliding head first” if your foot is on the ground. 

The interpretation for a legal head first slide is the runner’s chest/torso in contact with the ground before contact with the defender.

9 hours ago, JSam21 said:

Well going by your line of thinking you’re always “sliding head first” if your foot is on the ground. 

The interpretation for a legal head first slide is the runner’s chest/torso in contact with the ground before contact with the defender.

I don’t follow your first paragraph. I simply quoted the rule which defines a legal feet first slide, and says nothing about defining a legal vs illegal head first slide. 

As for the interpretation of a legal head first slide , that sounds 100% logical.It's exactly what I said in my original response.  I’ve never seen it. That sure doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Do know where I can find it?  

15 hours ago, JSam21 said:

That's the NCAA definition, but I'm looking for NFHS.