Draw a line....Here's Your....Arrow?

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1031 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

33 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

Maybe I'm too long in the tooth to have fun anymore?

Is it wrong of me to just be in the camp of simply running the kid and moving on with the rest of the game? 

Absolutely not wrong of you.  Things have already gone horribly wrong if you are ejecting, do not make yourself part of the spectacle.  What this ump did is no better than what the kid did.  All he did was just show the kid “I can do this and you can’t because I’m the umpire.”

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, johnnyg08 said:

Maybe I'm too long in the tooth to have fun anymore?

Is it wrong of me to just be in the camp of simply running the kid and moving on with the rest of the game? 

On 3/11/2020 at 3:58 AM, Thunderheads said:

John, ...I'm with you ....

Ditto!

Yeah, no need to two Picasso's out there. Just a nice easy overhand toss, to make sure is manager knows what just happened, then a quiet word with the scorekeeper. 

Me, I'd have the scorecard in my hand as I flail over my head, just so the skipper knows he's leaving, and needs to modify his linenup, too. 

Let me post my thoughts using my perspective as an assignor:  If my state high school league sent me this video, it is going to be difficult for me to defend you (the umpire).  I'm going to hear from the league that "your umpire is supposed to be the adult and not sink to the kid's level."  I'm also going to be told, "if you want me to defend your umpires when they eject a kid for drawing a line in the dirt, then I have to punish your umpire when he does the same thing."  Don't get me wrong, our high school league will suspend the player.  But, I'm willing to guess that you (my umpire) are also going to be suspended...and there's not much I'm going to be able to do to stop that.

IMHO, there are things we used to be able to do (things that were "arrows" in our quiver of "preventative umpiring") that we can no longer do now that every moment of every game is being recorded by someone.  (I, personally, believe FYC's have to go the way of the dodo bird (if they haven't already) because of videos.)  In this age of "everything ends up on Youtube"...just eject the kid and move on.  It makes my (the assignor) life so much easier.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m just gonna make a guess that this umpire made some other mistakes that preceded this incident. 

1. When he showed up for the game it was probably a few minutes late (because he knows the coach so it won’t be a big deal, at least that’s what he’ll tell you). 

2. Before starting the game (that he showed up late to) he probably went straight to the dugout of this team and talked for another 5 minutes cause he needed to catch up with the coach.

3. Between innings I’m willing to bet that he stands by the fence talking with the people sitting next the backstop while the pitcher throws his 20 warm-up pitches. 

Alone these issues might not seem like a big deal but they boil down to 1 main problem, over-familiarity. I’d put money on it and guess that he’s umpired 100’s of games with this particular player. Unfortunately that is just a guess and we don’t get that side of the story, we just get the video clip that makes him look like a child. I’m sure he meant this in good fun but there are ways to have fun without sacrificing professionalism. I’m not gonna knock him for the single action that we saw in this video, I’m just gonna knock him because I’m sure there are tons of other little things he does that undermine his own authority. And all of those little things are what makes partners like him miserable to work with. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:15 AM, lawump said:

(I, personally, believe FYC's have to go the way of the dodo bird (if they haven't already) because of videos.)  In this age of "everything ends up on Youtube"...just eject the kid and move on.  It makes my (the assignor) life so much easier.  

New guy question:  What is an FYC?

1 minute ago, mac266 said:

FYC = F*co You Call. It is a call, usually on a pitch, that used to be used as revenge and retaliation by umpires for indiscretions by players or coaches.

With the advent of tv for many games. And everyone having a recording device. The practice has pretty much disappeared as it is obvious when it is being used.

1 hour ago, mac266 said:

Don't ever do it. Our job is to officiate the game, which requires impartiality and fairness (in the broad sense of the latter). An FYC is the complete opposite of that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Young_Ump said:

Don't ever do it. Our job is to officiate the game, which requires impartiality and fairness (in the broad sense of the latter). An FYC is the complete opposite of that.

Thanks for the warning, but I already figured that.  Don't forget, I'm a retired cop (not a rookie...RETIRED...retired early, but retired nonetheless).  We were taught early about "attitude tickets" and "attitude charges," etc.  I suppose that would be along the same lines.  My skin is quite a bit thicker than the average rookie umpire, I imagine.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, mac266 said:

Thanks for the warning, but I already figured that.  Don't forget, I'm a retired cop (not a rookie...RETIRED...retired early, but retired nonetheless).  We were taught early about "attitude tickets" and "attitude charges," etc.  I suppose that would be along the same lines.  My skin is quite a bit thicker than the average rookie umpire, I imagine.

It is probably pretty similar. All of us have a point where we get pissy or angry. Even with "thick skin."

The FYC (or F*ck You Call since no one has written it out) was used as a retaliatory call to "get a point across." More often than not, it was a pitch called a ball that was obviously a strike to punish an act by the defense that was deemed uncouth by the umpire.

It was also often used as a baiting technique to invoke a reaction that would lead to an ejection. 

• 10 months later...
Let me post my thoughts using my perspective as an assignor:  If my state high school league sent me this video, it is going to be difficult for me to defend you (the umpire).  I'm going to hear from the league that "your umpire is supposed to be the adult and not sink to the kid's level."  I'm also going to be told, "if you want me to defend your umpires when they eject a kid for drawing a line in the dirt, then I have to punish your umpire when he does the same thing."  Don't get me wrong, our high school league will suspend the player.  But, I'm willing to guess that you (my umpire) are also going to be suspended...and there's not much I'm going to be able to do to stop that.
IMHO, there are things we used to be able to do (things that were "arrows" in our quiver of "preventative umpiring") that we can no longer do now that every moment of every game is being recorded by someone.  (I, personally, believe FYC's have to go the way of the dodo bird (if they haven't already) because of videos.)  In this age of "everything ends up on Youtube"...just eject the kid and move on.  It makes my (the assignor) life so much easier.  

Couldn’t agree more. As a sports admin & assignor, I always told my officials, “don’t do anything that I can’t defend; and if you’re not sure what that means, there’s your answer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk