Running lane is not there, now what?

BigVic69
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1515 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I work with little leagues that very often do not have a 1st base running lane marked. Is there a presumed running lane half way up the baseline that the runner must adhere to in order to avoid "interference" from a thrown ball? ie stay out of fair territory.  How do you all handle this?

Little league does not specifically speak of a running lane.

7 answers to this question

The running lane is always there: the chalk line is a convenience for players, coaches, and umpires.

You are correct that the "running lane" is not in the rule book. LL 6.05(j) refers to a BR running outside "a three-foot line," which is the one usually marked in chalk. 

But that line is still there, and the rule still in force, whether there's a chalk line on the ground or not. Same as foul lines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BigVic69 said:

Little League does not specifically speak of a running lane.

Really, how about 6.05(j) ?

If the lines are not drawn, walk halfway up the first base line and draw a 3 foot line with your foot from the foul line to the right.

37 minutes ago, Lou B said:

Really, how about 6.05(j) ?

If the lines are not drawn, walk halfway up the first base line and draw a 3 foot line with your foot from the foul line to the right.

Maybe just a small mark for my reference, but I'm not dirtying up my nice shiny plate shoes to do someone else's job. Nope, I'll just make my best guess, and they'll just have to live with it. 

• Like 1

Thank you, and funny as ever, I am more concerned with batter-runner creeping onto the "fair" side of the foul line "half way up" the line.  Where he should be.

It is not my fault if the line was not drawn, right?

A police officer once told me, "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Running to 1st base is the only one with the "3 foot, but not on the left side (fair territory) ".

29 minutes ago, BigVic69 said:

Rules, who needs stinken rules. ( a play on blazing saddles)

The funny thing is that I have 6.05(j) highlighted in my kindle LL rulebook. Ha ha.

Never in Baseball have rules kept a coach from loosing their minds, eh?

See you all on the Diamond

LOL ... Blazing Saddles is a classic!  However ...

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre? (and many variations and parodies since)