Ejection of Michigan player

SeeingEyeDog

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2020/2/15/21138987/michigan-batter-ejected-bat-swipe-baseball-unwritten-rules-nonsense-vanderbilt

I completely understand why this player was ejected. And yet, my read on this was not challenging PU's call but, disgust with himself. Perhaps the message here then is don't put an umpire in that kind of position to make a decision about your intent...?

I don't call college ball and I have no ambition to do so. I have encountered players who have waived their bat out where the last pitch was that they were caught looking at and met that with a, "We'll have none of that today, sir..." and that was the end of it.

Pardon my ignorance, is this where we are in leagues where the players shave?

I'm of the school to interpret things a little more loose than when I was coming up.....back then any line drawn or action like drawing was an instant EJ.  However, not knowing what was said, I cant rule this EJ out as valid...........when I started, I was amazed at the things that were said to me and my partners and the thought that as long as they didn't look at you, they could say anything they wanted...........pretty common then......

I don't tolerate abuse..........   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stan W. said:

I'm of the school to interpret things a little more loose than when I was coming up.....back then any line drawn or action like drawing was an instant EJ.  However, not knowing what was said, I cant rule this EJ out as valid...........when I started, I was amazed at the things that were said to me and my partners and the thought that as long as they didn't look at you, they could say anything they wanted...........pretty common then......

I don't tolerate abuse..........   

I threw a coach last year who kept insisting he never raised his voice - so in his mind he could say anything as long as he kept a civil tone.  Told him it did not matter, when I said we're done, we're done and it was time to play ball.

Amazed at how so many guys think they can say/do anything as long as they are walking away.  I see this comment and hear it from announcers all the time.  It's like a get out of jail card.  "He was walking away Joe, how could they toss him for that?"

Like this...Leah Remini Goodbye GIF by TV Land

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 6:16 PM, Thunderheads said:

I don't have the details either, but I think based on what I saw, ... PU though it was a line drawn for the pitch and it clearly wasn't.  The other option is what @maven brought up .... he may have said something also

It clearly wasn’t? What’s he doing, moving a rock? 

I could say it “clearly was”, but it’s just an opinion. It’s a video open for interp. For the record, I do think he meant it as a line/I’ll show you where that pitch was. 

7 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

It clearly wasn’t? What’s he doing, moving a rock? 

I could say it “clearly was”, but it’s just an opinion. It’s a video open for interp. For the record, I do think he meant it as a line/I’ll show you where that pitch was. 

After watching the video, yes, it clearly wasn't .  Why did he draw a line as if he was tracing the back line of the batters box?  His "drawing" didn't make sense.  Please notice I'm not saying I don't understand the EJ, I do

On 3/2/2020 at 6:02 AM, Thunderheads said:

After watching the video, yes, it clearly wasn't .  Why did he draw a line as if he was tracing the back line of the batters box?  His "drawing" didn't make sense.  Please notice I'm not saying I don't understand the EJ, I do

Why? To denote where he thought the pitch was - inside.

It’s clearly what he was doing. 

He doesn't look back at him, and his body language seems like he's not still thinking "wtf man that wasn't a strike" when he gets ran. 

This could be one of those instances where the player has a rep and they tossed him because of that.

7 hours ago, udbrky said:

He doesn't look back at him, and his body language seems like he's not still thinking "wtf man that wasn't a strike" when he gets ran. 

This could be one of those instances where the player has a rep and they tossed him because of that.

Frosh. First game. No rep. I still think it’s a valid EJ. I think he pointed the bat to where the ball was, then just dragged the bat. Not exactly drawing a line, but “pointing” the bat at a spot. Same deserved consequences 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:44 AM, Thunderheads said:

he thought the pitch came in and went PARALLEL TO THE BACK LINE OF THE BOX? :HS 

He put his bat down to show him where the pitch was. He dragged/drew as he moved backwards to make it "not obvious" what he was doing. It didn't work. I don't see how this is that hard.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Richvee said:

Not exactly drawing a line, but “pointing” the bat at a spot. Same deserved consequences

Just for my own future reference, if a player points at the spot where he thought the pitch was, or steps there etc., he should be run?

24 minutes ago, Young_Ump said:

Just for my own future reference, if a player points at the spot where he thought the pitch was, or steps there etc., he should be run?

If you have to ask this question, you should be ejecting. After a bit more experience, you'll be able to find those times where you may be able to use other tools--but a line being drawn is always, always ending that batter's day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young_Ump said:

Yup

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

If you have to ask this question, you should be ejecting. After a bit more experience, you'll be able to find those times where you may be able to use other tools--but a line being drawn is always, always ending that batter's day.

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Yup

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

He put his bat down to show him where the pitch was. He dragged/drew as he moved backwards to make it "not obvious" what he was doing. It didn't work. I don't see how this is that hard.

Jesus people relax .... I never said he shouldn't have been tossed, did I?  Let me go back and check, ....NOPE. Never said it.

He got tossed and deservedly so, I've stated that.  FOR ME, it just looked odd.   To be quite honest @Thatsnotyou .... YOUR description above actually made me look at it differently and I see your point with it.

"I don't see how this is that hard" ..............  It's not at all.  It was just a unique/different 'line draw' that you could look at in slo-mo over and over again and discuss.  I don't see how my initial comment got so much blow-back. :rolleyes: