Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike23

Money

Question

Guest Mike23

How much can a USABL umpire make per spring season? How many hours do umpires usually work per day? I know the pay rate is approx.  $25-$40 per hour for USABL, but just tring to get an understanding of the business side of umpiring.  Thank you.

11 answers to this question

Well... that would probably be a question that you would need to ask the assigner for that organization. How much money you can make varies greatly on the level you are working, your availability, and the amount of games you want to do in a day. 

It can even vary by venue in the same area/city.

Not only can the pay rate vary, but the number of games you can work/are expected to work will vary by venue (or assignor).  Some places will work you every game (round) all weekend long, others have a strict 2-on,1-off policy.

When people ask me that question, I've always answered  "It pays too little to live on........and after equipment, uniforms, registrations, dues and insurance fees, Id probably do better financially if I was a greeter at Walmart......"

BUT.........who can explain the hold baseball has on me... I love the game, I love the sights, the plays, the comebacks, the sounds and love being on the field.......

• Like 1

$40.00 per hour for umpiring amateur baseball? On what planet does that happen? I've done the math every which way and you can expect anywhere from $18.00 to $22.00 per hour gross pay. Maybe sometimes $25.00 per hour on a good day. No one factors in taxes, travel time, time between games, expenses. It usually works out to be about $10.00 or less per inning on all levels.

USABL in my area pays about $90.00 for an excessively long 9 inning game, usually 3 hours or more. Both my boys play adult baseball and I know many of the umpires. It's at least a 4 hour commitment, that would get you about $22.50 per hour gross, not including taxes and expenses. If you do a DH, you'll spend at least a 8-9 hour day making $180.00. You can do the math.

It's a decent part time job to make some extra money, that's about it. You can't earn a living just with umpiring amateur baseball, heck, even in the minor leagues it's usually poverty city. Yes, I know a few minor league umpires.

High school and college pay the best in my area, but it's still a part time gig.

No one I know that umpires amateur baseball, owns a home, maybe is married, has kids(maybe some in college), and owns a decent car or two, officiates full time as their primary source of income. They either:

1. Have a full time good paying job and umpire on the side for extra money.

2. Are retired with a good pension and umpire on the side for extra money.

3. Have some source of external income and umpire on the side for extra money.

Unfortunately, the people that I see umpiring baseball as their main source of income look like they are living out of the back of their cars, or live with their parents. I'm not judging people for what they do, but that's just my observation. I realize it could be different in other areas, but unfortunately I live in a very expensive state and that's just the way it is out here. Yeah, $20- 25.00 per hour sounds decent, but coupled with the fact that you can't work consistently 8 hours per day, 40+ a week umpiring baseball, and that it is gross income, it's not great money. Oh yeah, and forget about any benefits, you're an independent contractor. About the only perk is getting to write off some expenses, but most people don't really understand what that means.

YMMV, but that's the reality of the situation.

• Like 2

My son makes double pay, but still could not "live" of it if he were flying solo.

How? I give him my money as well.  I tell him that my pay is being outside with my son while doing what we love.

He knows the rules, is firm with his calls, and has gained an understanding of the games dynamics, as well as the respect of the coaches.

I give him my pay, he is 17, a big kid, a good student, and I get to work with my boy. We only work on the weekends and have a great time.  I am lucky in that we quiz each other all the time, and role-play situations.

He is much more confident student, and i am a proud papa.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, it's all amateur sports officials. In a typical weekend of volleyball, I can make $400 or more. But I'm there for about 14 hours on Saturday and at least 8 on Sunday, not including the travel to and from the venue. It comes out to $18-20 per hour. In that weekend, I'm officiating anywhere from 12-16 matches, each lasting 45 minutes to an hour.

I'd say it's not worth it, but who am I to talk...I was putting in 20-40 hours per week of coaching, eight months a year, for free.

Anyone doing any of this for the money isn't good at math.

• Like 1

I umpire and I also work as a basketball coach and referee at a rec center. I could legitimately have more/better hours and make more money at other jobs. 

But those other jobs aren't umpiring the great game of baseball. Those other jobs aren't getting to coach kids and make an impact in their lives. Yeah I make pretty good money for a teenager, and its being saved for college, but its not as much as I could make... And I don't care. Umpiring and coaching are two of my favorite things I've done in my life. I don't, and never will regret it.

It's a hobby that pays me money vs. a hobby that I have to pay to do.  I could golf for 5 hours and pay $xxx or officiate for 5 hours and earn $yyy (the amounts depend on the sport and the level -- but it's almost always more that $20 / hour, including travel). 

Trying to turn it into some type of full-time job would remove lots of the intrinsic benefits from the hobby -- and probably make me a worse official.

• Like 2

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this