Draw a Line - Win a Prize

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1501 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

29 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

I think the head of the bat was exactly where the pitch was. Could have been a strike or not. PU head height would be critiqued as a little too low and heel toe a little too far back. I had a select ball guy draw a line on me that was where the pitch was. He dragged the bat an inch outside the plate. I let him go with a warning and a laugh. 

23 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Was there something earlier in the game that led up to this?

Nothing visible to us on TV. However, both catchers were holding pitches way too long on ball calls. At different times neither looked happy with the calls. I can’t tell you if either bench was giving him crap, but that said, Vanderbilt from what  I’ve seen over the past few years, can be pretty “chatty”.  I watched  the game, and it looked to me like the batter  dotted the spot where he thought the pitch was, then dragged it back. I’m not passing judgment on a D1 umpire doing the plate on a big stage nationally televised game. Watching it  live, I thought it was a worthy EJ. BTW, I thought his zone was spot on all night. 

I have no issue with the ejection. And as I have said on other forums. The batter has ZERO reason to draw a line there. Unless it is to protest the location of the pitch.

What is astonishing to me, is the number of umpires that are KILLING him for the ejection. You can tell exactly where the divide is, in terms of ability and level of ball worked, between those that are good with the ejection and those that are destroying him for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

I have no issue with the ejection. And as I have said on other forums. The batter has ZERO reason to draw a line there. Unless it is to protest the location of the pitch.

What is astonishing to me, is the number of umpires that are KILLING him for the ejection. You can tell exactly where the divide is, in terms of ability and level of ball worked, between those that are good with the ejection and those that are destroying him for it.

Maybe the guys that are killing him for it should work a few games in MLB, because Ramon has...SMFH.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Maybe the guys that are killing him for it should work a few games in MLB, because Ramon has...SMFH.

Let's start with them working anything over 12u travel ball. Maybe a low level varsity game in the city of their choice. I mean, I'VE never worked anything higher than D3. And I'm totally good with this ejection.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I’m not killing him over it, but I can’t say I 100% see it in the video.  I also was not there and asked what the “game history” was before I made any personal judgment.  It very well could be a good EJ, or it could have been a bit of a jump.  I can’t say.  To me, the bat drop was deep in the box and the line was drawn perpendicular-ish and going away as he backed out, not through the path of the ball.  That’s not where/how I have traditionally seen line drawing.  Then again, it may just “be good cover” from the kid.

Where I take some exception with your statement is the elitist attitude.  I’ll apologize if you don’t agree, but that is something that really bothers me in the baseball umpiring culture and something I try to change when I can.  Congratulations, you’ve worked D3 baseball.  That doesn’t mean you are automatically right and that others are below you.  Experience may be a key divider in opinions, but experiences are not.

Rather than just tossing out your credentials and looking down your nose, why not share your experience and wisdom to explain why  you think that and help foster the next generation of umpires who may not have encountered it?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 12:26 AM, The Man in Blue said:

Was there something earlier in the game that led up to this?

Other than just the rah rah atmosphere of having the 2 teams from the 2019 CWS finals playing each other to start the 2020 season, and 2019 winner Vandy just choking a 3-2 lead as the home team in the top of the ninth on a 2 run dinger, nothing much.

However, since this is an in game ejection, what does 2.26 e, or whatever say about a 4 future game player ejection, or is it just a 1 future game ejection, or just an ejection for that current game?  Freshman first (have i mentioned I would love to eject auto correct before?) game welcome to the NCAA.

And just remember, the opening bell went off for all umpires for their performance evaluations for the 2020 season and possible post season considerations at the end of the year.

And, if we start firing everyone for a calls/or situations, that stand or are overturned, there will be no one left and we will be waiting for Yoda and the clones/robots. Or, we will all get fired and rehired a google amount of times. Where's George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin when you really need them?

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

I’m not killing him over it, but I can’t say I 100% see it in the video.  I also was not there and asked what the “game history” was before I made any personal judgment.  It very well could be a good EJ, or it could have been a bit of a jump.  I can’t say.  To me, the bat drop was deep in the box and the line was drawn perpendicular-ish and going away as he backed out, not through the path of the ball.  That’s not where/how I have traditionally seen line drawing.  Then again, it may just “be good cover” from the kid.

Where I take some exception with your statement is the elitist attitude.  I’ll apologize if you don’t agree, but that is something that really bothers me in the baseball umpiring culture and something I try to change when I can.  Congratulations, you’ve worked D3 baseball.  That doesn’t mean you are automatically right and that others are below you.  Experience may be a key divider in opinions, but experiences are not.

Rather than just tossing out your credentials and looking down your nose, why not share your experience and wisdom to explain why  you think that and help foster the next generation of umpires who may not have encountered it?

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. And the D3 comment was in relation to Steve saying that people should try and work a few games in MLB like the umpire in question has. I was pointing out that one doesnt need to work the highest level to agree with the umpire's actions. I would NEVER look down my nose at someone just because I worked a certain level. That would be really stupid and short sighted of me. I dont normally list my accomplishments and levels worked because, frankly, unless it was D1 or pro ball... no one cares.

As for the batter in the clip. Yes... I think it was a clever attempt on his part to disagree with the umpire and draw a line. But not in the normal way. And a guy with less experience might have missed it.

The umpires I was talking about are the "ump show" or "he wanted to be the show" or "no one comes to watch the umpire" type commenters. Of which there are NONE of them on here. 

I am currently in a "discussion" with someone on facebook asking just how far they allow someone to go before they do something about it. And so far, as long as they are walking away/not looking at the umpire/keeping their head down, they can say and do just about anything. Including stuff that most umpires would eject for. Let alone people as experienced and interested in learning as we have on this page.

Does that make more sense now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. And the D3 comment was in relation to Steve saying that people should try and work a few games in MLB like the umpire in question has. I was pointing out that one doesnt need to work the highest level to agree with the umpire's actions. I would NEVER look down my nose at someone just because I worked a certain level. That would be really stupid and short sighted of me. I dont normally list my accomplishments and levels worked because, frankly, unless it was D1 or pro ball... no one cares.

As for the batter in the clip. Yes... I think it was a clever attempt on his part to disagree with the umpire and draw a line. But not in the normal way. And a guy with less experience might have missed it.

The umpires I was talking about are the "ump show" or "he wanted to be the show" or "no one comes to watch the umpire" type commenters. Of which there are NONE of them on here. 

I am currently in a "discussion" with someone on facebook asking just how far they allow someone to go before they do something about it. And so far, as long as they are walking away/not looking at the umpire/keeping their head down, they can say and do just about anything. Including stuff that most umpires would eject for. Let alone people as experienced and interested in learning as we have on this page.

Does that make more sense now?

I do agree with the elitist comment.  Not abut you, but the attitude is rampant in baseball.  

3 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I do agree with the elitist comment.  Not abut you, but the attitude is rampant in baseball.  

Very much so. But, of course, we aren't the only ones. Thankfully it is something that doesn't show up on this site to often. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Man in Blue said:

@BT_Blue :cheers:  My apologies for misreading the tone of your posts.  

While I stand by my comments, it does sound as if we are on the same page.  (Though I disagree that walking away is free license for a coach/player to keep carrying on.)

I knew that was what happened. So zero hard feelings.

The guy in was talking all but said unless a blatant, he is doing zip. I even asked if a player with his head down, not looking at him, or walking away, declares to everyone that the umpire's mother was not married when he was born or that she was a female dog he would STILL do nothing.:Facepalm:

• Like 1

"The guy in was talking all but said unless a blatant, he is doing zip. I even asked if a player with his head down, not looking at him, or walking away, declares to everyone that the umpire's mother was not married when he was born or that she was a female dog he would STILL do nothing.:Facepalm:    "

But, you better believe the player in the example above, talking to the plate umpire who hears the words, using that phrase above, or any other of the 13 terms/phrases George Carlin says are not permissible, the catcher standing right beside of or in front of the PU and the on deck batter will hear the words also. So, at least 4 people heard and know what was said.

You take the chance with the thought that gaining respect and credibility with action, can also be lost with inaction.

So, when the resolve is tested, a decision has to be made. Sometimes, against any of our wishes, time off by the offender is needed for the rest of the day.

I watched a good chunk of this game and the at bats prior to this. I saw no hints or history. (We can't hear the dugout)

I do find it humorous that we some how absolve a D1 freshman as some innocent soul who just couldn't and wouldn't...Give me a break! 

I'm not popular for this, but I have no issue w/ the ejection.

Try to get cute with an experienced umpire who knows what he's doing and you win a prize. 

Lesson learned to everybody else who saw the video. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

However, since this is an in game ejection, what does 2.26 e, or whatever say about a 4 future game player ejection, or is it just a 1 future game ejection, or just an ejection for that current game? 

I don’t have my book handy and NCAA site is down but I believe it goes this way. 

4-game suspension is for a pitcher, or player who’s last defensive position was F1. (Think removed pitcher running his mouth from dugout).  Multiple ejection through the year may get a regular player to a 4 game suspension (school would handle that) 

This one would carry the standard rest of this game, and then 1-game player suspension 

13 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

I watched a good chunk of this game and the at bats prior to this. I saw no hints or history. (We can't hear the dugout)

I do find it humorous that we some how absolve a D1 freshman as some innocent soul who just couldn't and wouldn't...Give me a break! 

I'm not popular for this, but I have no issue w/ the ejection.

Try to get cute with an experienced umpire who knows what he's doing and you win a prize. 

Lesson learned to everybody else who saw the video. 

You should have seen one of the responses I got to this. Basically saying that the umpire should have let it go because of the inning, score, location, teams, time of year, freshman player, etc. And that the umpires knew or should have know all this and just let the kid go with a "talking to.":Facepalm::smachhead::bang:etc

I"m having a hard time thinking the end of the bat is where he thought the pitch was and then drew the line behind him ....   FOR ME, that looks like frustration on the players part with himself.    BUT .... BUT ..........you can't do that in any way shape or form (as he's learned) our you'll get sent packing!

• Like 2