wolfe_man

Throat Guards and Mask Pads

2 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

curious how many masks is too many ?

LOL - it depends on the user.  I have four and I can only wear one at a time. :smachhead:  As a rule, I like 2.  One go-to mask and one backup.

OK that's where I am at however my 1st mask is pretty cheap and I think I may want my back up now to be more up to standards but thinking that's a next yr investment.

16 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Ask @JoHart10, or @acpar72... Wolfe's already piped in... I've got five that I rotate between, with another four in packaging to supply to any of my colleague or new umpires in Arizona here. I fully plan on purchasing at least 2 more (they'll replace 2 in my active rotation). The most important thing, though, is I always carry 2 with me to each and every game venue. In case I break a strap, I don't have to hold up the game and change parts... just grab the new mask. Likewise, if I'm on a game, and one of my colleagues on an adjacent field in the complex forgets or loses his mask, he can always borrow one of 'em (all the guys here in the Valley know this).

And this is despite not having a Titanium (yet), Magnesium (double yet) or Force3 Defender in my entire lineup!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I'll join the fray!

I've got 4 right now. A chopped/powdercoated Nike Ti, a chopped/powdercoated Diamond, a steel Wilson Dynalite, and just came into a Wilson Ti that I dont know what I want to do with.

I am more than interested in dealing any of these away. I just need to get off my duff and do it.

• Like 2

I think my biggest challenge is I like all of mine, but I am really bad about only using the one I like best, so the other 3 sit there most of the time unused - or in many cases are never used at all.

I am a mask junkie - Luckily, I prefer steel or AL over titanium, so it has not been a financial hard hit over the years. I try to buy one mask and new mask pads at least once a year. i will throw out old worn pads, but generally i will keep the frames, just maybe take them out of the lineup. I let a frame go every once in awhile to a fellow association member. MAYBE i will actually sell off one or two in the near future. BUT right now, I have FIVE in rotation:

1) "ICON" steel frame with Tan TWs for any color any level - My go-to daytime setup when the weather is warm enough for TWs

2) Nickel colored (powder coated) Plus-POS Zero-G (looks like an ICON) steel frame with Black TWs for all colors except Navy, all levels - My go-to evening/night setup when the weather is warm enough for TWs

3) Charcoal colored Plus-POS Zero-G steel frame with Black TWs and 4 inch Plus-POS TG for all colors except Navy, all levels - foul weather go-to (looks good with the foul weather jacket for one of my Associations) when weather is warm enough for TWs

4) Black Wilson AL with Tan Wilson Leathers and 6 inch Wilson TG for all colors all levels - my go-to in daytime setup weather too cold for TWs (the type of weather where the couch cushions feel awesome)

5) Old Wilson Steel Frame with throat (rake??) chopped, painted Soft Iron (a cool dark metallic), with Wilson Black/grey wrap around leathers and a six inch Mizuno TG  all colors except Navy and all levels - Looks great in the evening/ night games when its cold out, like with a Plate Coat and Gloves

Once we turn the corner on weather, the two rigs with the Wilson Leathers get put away until fall, and I add a Black Plus-Pos Zero-G steel frame with Tan TWs and 4 inch Plus-POS TG to the mix (I like the tan pads/black frame look)

Finally, I have two rigs not in the lineup, but I pull each out for at least a few games each year: both are Diamond AL frames, one has Black TWs and 4 inch TG, and I will use it in crappy weather (wet or crazy hot/humid) over the summer, and one has All-Star Leather Navy/tan pads and Navy Honigs harness and 4 inch TG i will use if i pick up any Junior High school ball games (almost all the "new" guys at that level only have Navy, still the "required" color, and most of them rarely do any base work, so I take the plate and let them get some base work in)

Yup, i am a mask junkie (heck, GEAR junkie)

• Like 3

Guys, ...as much fun as it is to discuss masks and choices, etc ... this is a BUY SELL TRADE POST.......

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Guys, ...as much fun as it is to discuss masks and choices, etc ... this is a BUY SELL TRADE POST.......

LOL I wondered how long we'd get away with it.  It is MY post Thunder FWIW. :smachhead:

I don't really expect to sell these anyhow... guys just don't buy TG's and pads off here anymore it seems.  It's kind of dried up. I'm sure it'll pick back up come a month or two when season is closer.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

LOL I wondered how long we'd get away with it.  It is MY post Thunder FWIW. :smachhead:

I don't really expect to sell these anyhow... guys just don't buy TG's and pads off here anymore it seems.  It's kind of dried up. I'm sure it'll pick back up come a month or two when season is closer.

Yeah, I figured that out, LOL. I did that out of respect for your post.  Plus, conversations like this don't belong here, so I'm helping keep the proper conversations located in the correct place (if that makes sense)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Yeah, I figured that out, LOL. I did that out of respect for your post.  Plus, conversations like this don't belong here, so I'm helping keep the proper conversations located in the correct place (if that makes sense)

Go ahead and lock it please. I'll sell on FB or just keep the pads. Thanks!

31 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Go ahead and lock it please. I'll sell on FB or just keep the pads. Thanks!

I can keep it for you.  It's a valid post, I just want it to be kept as a "selling" post, not a "how many masks I have" post :D

8 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I can keep it for you.  It's a valid post, I just want it to be kept as a "selling" post, not a "how many masks I have" post :D

I understand. Let's lock it up for now.  Thanks!