Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chayim Phillips

Catch and Carry on a Thrown

Question

Guest Chayim Phillips

How does professional baseball treat this situation?

A fielder on fair or foul territory catches a thrown ball and then carries that ball into an out-of-play [dead ball] area.

Does the ball remain alive and runners can advance at their own risk?  Or, does the ball become dead and runners advance one base without liability to be put out?  Or, does professional baseball treat it differently?

Up until the revision of Official Rule 5.12 (b) (6) in 2016, the ball remained alive.  As you remember, Official Rule 5.12 (b) (6) now says:

(6)  When a fielder, after catching a fly ball, steps or falls into any out-of-play area. All other runners shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder entered such out-of-play area.

With this revision, we are longer sure how professional baseball treats a thrown ball.

3 answers to this question

The point has never been covered in OBR.

Wendelstedt recommends applying the NCAA rule. Ball is live unless the fielder falls down, in which case the ball is dead and runners advance 1 base.

Hmmm..... I've been out of the game for a while now, but I thought it was two bases from the time of the carry.  "Catch and carry" requires a "catch" and that's defined as a batted ball in flight.

• Like 1

I believe NCAA also changed catch and carry to match OBR. The dugout is now dead ball territory for OBR and NCAA so it would be a throw going into dead ball territory. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this