The Knees!

Vegas_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1509 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2019 was not a great umpiring year for me!  In February I had orthoscopic surgery on my left knee.  I missed a good part of the season, but I finally got into groove.  Then I did Fall ball, and that went OK. But then my right knee started to give me fits!  In early November, I had the right side scoped.  With two months of inactivity and the holidays. I gained a lot of weight.  

Luckily, I made a faster than average physical rehab period, as my healing moved right along.  I am now in the conditioning phase where I am pounding the leg press, leg curl, and some aerobic stuff.  The good news is that the large muscles are coming along fast.  But the smaller fast twitch muscles are not tuned up yet.  I need to start balance and core exercises.  My plan is to get back into jogging in about 4 more weeks with gym visits in the mean time.

I think I can do the plate, but I am not sure yet of the A to B pivot or busting out from behind the plate; that motion is just not quite ready yet.  I think with some good knee supports, I'll be able to jump right into the season.

With orthoscopic surgery, you have to be patient!  If you have stem cell channels, you can't stress the joint until you are ready.  At my age, I am happy to be so mobile at all!  Just focusing the rehab for the game of baseball!  

See you on the diamond!

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 3