New NFHS DH Rule

Guest Fish
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1512 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I have a question  about new DH Rule:
Lets say the coach wants to courtesy run for his pitcher as allowed; the pitcher is listed as the DH/P in the 9 man batting order. Does using a CR now eliminate the DH for the remainder of the game  because  3.1.4b-2: "The DH is terminated for the remainder of the game when the starting defensive player/DH is substituted for either as a hitter or runner"?

Can it be argued that a CR is not really a substitute or is he for this rule?
Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

6 answers to this question

Guest Guest Fish

Upon further review of Rule 10 Speed up Rules for Courtesy Runners; Item 3 states that neither the pitcher nor the catcher will have to leave the game under such circumstances.

Sorry, I thought I had a good question for discussion....

Help me a little further; Rule 10.3 is for a CR, not a substitute hitter and it says a CR doesn't affect the lineup role of the pitcher (or catcher).  Although maybe Rule 10.3 hasn't been updated for the role  of a DH/P, this player is still part of a normal lineup; that's what the new DH rule did - make it one of a couple normal lineups; traditional DH or DH/P.   I think a coach would have a legitimate argument to allow a CR for his P/DH relying on Rule 10.3 (Speed Up Rule).

No disrespect with your answer, and maybe I'm not seeing it (10.3) correctly, I think these two rulings (3.4.1b and 10.3) contradict each other.

Thanks

The coach has two choices here - he can verbally eliminate the DH, which makes whoever is in the defensive spot of the P/DH now just the sole, single player occupying that batting order spot, or he can send in a pinch runner, which also eliminates the DH as any offensive substitute to the P/DH will. The difference is, if the coach verbally eliminates the DH, the player is now eligible for a courtesy runner if otherwise allowed.

This case just came down from NFHS (today I believe):

SITUATION 3: Jones is listed as the player/DH. Having pitched in the first two innings, he comes to bat in the third inning and hits a double. With Jones on second base, the coach tells the umpire that he wants to end the role of DH for Jones. He is ending the use of a DH for the game, making Jones only eligible to be the pitcher. The coach now wants to have a courtesy runner run for Jones. RULING: This is legal. The coach may end the role of the DH, leaving the previous player/DH as only a defensive player. As Jones was the pitcher of record, having pitched in the last half-inning, he is eligible for a legal courtesy runner. (3-1-4b, Suggested Speed-Up Rules – Courtesy Runners 1)

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/baseball-rules-interpretations-2020?ArtId=379049&fbclid=IwAR1LRQogFosvJLWQNghtYivyZVFhiGg-yAgVBvwWA6PgRZ7ztDCK_XB3Cxs

6 hours ago, Guest Fish said:
I have a question  about new DH Rule:
Lets say the coach wants to courtesy run for his pitcher as allowed; the pitcher is listed as the DH/P in the 9 man batting order. Does using a CR now eliminate the DH for the remainder of the game  because  3.1.4b-2: "The DH is terminated for the remainder of the game when the starting defensive player/DH is substituted for either as a hitter or runner"?

Can it be argued that a CR is not really a substitute or is he for this rule?
Thanks

Can't (I don't think) CR for the P/DH.  If you eliminate it, then the player is just a P and can have the CR.

21 hours ago, Guest Fish said:

Help me a little further; Rule 10.3 is for a CR, not a substitute hitter and it says a CR doesn't affect the lineup role of the pitcher (or catcher).  Although maybe Rule 10.3 hasn't been updated for the role  of a DH/P, this player is still part of a normal lineup; that's what the new DH rule did - make it one of a couple normal lineups; traditional DH or DH/P.   I think a coach would have a legitimate argument to allow a CR for his P/DH relying on Rule 10.3 (Speed Up Rule).

No disrespect with your answer, and maybe I'm not seeing it (10.3) correctly, I think these two rulings (3.4.1b and 10.3) contradict each other.

Thanks

As a batter, he's the DH, not the pitcher. 

• Like 1