Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fish

New NFHS DH Rule

Question

Guest Fish
I have a question  about new DH Rule:
Lets say the coach wants to courtesy run for his pitcher as allowed; the pitcher is listed as the DH/P in the 9 man batting order. Does using a CR now eliminate the DH for the remainder of the game  because  3.1.4b-2: "The DH is terminated for the remainder of the game when the starting defensive player/DH is substituted for either as a hitter or runner"?

Can it be argued that a CR is not really a substitute or is he for this rule?
Thanks

6 answers to this question

Guest Guest Fish

Upon further review of Rule 10 Speed up Rules for Courtesy Runners; Item 3 states that neither the pitcher nor the catcher will have to leave the game under such circumstances.

Sorry, I thought I had a good question for discussion....

The provision of the CR rule you're citing applies to a normal spot in the lineup.

With a F/DH (1-player DH), anyone batting for the DH terminates the role of the DH.

Guest Fish

Help me a little further; Rule 10.3 is for a CR, not a substitute hitter and it says a CR doesn't affect the lineup role of the pitcher (or catcher).  Although maybe Rule 10.3 hasn't been updated for the role  of a DH/P, this player is still part of a normal lineup; that's what the new DH rule did - make it one of a couple normal lineups; traditional DH or DH/P.   I think a coach would have a legitimate argument to allow a CR for his P/DH relying on Rule 10.3 (Speed Up Rule).

No disrespect with your answer, and maybe I'm not seeing it (10.3) correctly, I think these two rulings (3.4.1b and 10.3) contradict each other.

Thanks

The coach has two choices here - he can verbally eliminate the DH, which makes whoever is in the defensive spot of the P/DH now just the sole, single player occupying that batting order spot, or he can send in a pinch runner, which also eliminates the DH as any offensive substitute to the P/DH will. The difference is, if the coach verbally eliminates the DH, the player is now eligible for a courtesy runner if otherwise allowed.

This case just came down from NFHS (today I believe):

SITUATION 3: Jones is listed as the player/DH. Having pitched in the first two innings, he comes to bat in the third inning and hits a double. With Jones on second base, the coach tells the umpire that he wants to end the role of DH for Jones. He is ending the use of a DH for the game, making Jones only eligible to be the pitcher. The coach now wants to have a courtesy runner run for Jones. RULING: This is legal. The coach may end the role of the DH, leaving the previous player/DH as only a defensive player. As Jones was the pitcher of record, having pitched in the last half-inning, he is eligible for a legal courtesy runner. (3-1-4b, Suggested Speed-Up Rules – Courtesy Runners 1)

https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/baseball-rules-interpretations-2020?ArtId=379049&fbclid=IwAR1LRQogFosvJLWQNghtYivyZVFhiGg-yAgVBvwWA6PgRZ7ztDCK_XB3Cxs

6 hours ago, Guest Fish said:
I have a question  about new DH Rule:
Lets say the coach wants to courtesy run for his pitcher as allowed; the pitcher is listed as the DH/P in the 9 man batting order. Does using a CR now eliminate the DH for the remainder of the game  because  3.1.4b-2: "The DH is terminated for the remainder of the game when the starting defensive player/DH is substituted for either as a hitter or runner"?

Can it be argued that a CR is not really a substitute or is he for this rule?
Thanks

Can't (I don't think) CR for the P/DH.  If you eliminate it, then the player is just a P and can have the CR.

21 hours ago, Guest Fish said:

Help me a little further; Rule 10.3 is for a CR, not a substitute hitter and it says a CR doesn't affect the lineup role of the pitcher (or catcher).  Although maybe Rule 10.3 hasn't been updated for the role  of a DH/P, this player is still part of a normal lineup; that's what the new DH rule did - make it one of a couple normal lineups; traditional DH or DH/P.   I think a coach would have a legitimate argument to allow a CR for his P/DH relying on Rule 10.3 (Speed Up Rule).

No disrespect with your answer, and maybe I'm not seeing it (10.3) correctly, I think these two rulings (3.4.1b and 10.3) contradict each other.

Thanks

As a batter, he's the DH, not the pitcher. 

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this