Mag pads on other masks?

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1524 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anyone tried mag pads on another mask? I’m curious to see how they’d fit and look.

I know Max has them in his AS 4000 Steel version, but was wondering if anyone tried these in a Nike/Adidas or something else.

Thanks 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, finally had a pair of mag pads laying around to test this out...

Here's an Icon with AS MAG pads.   Honestly, I thought they'd look a lot larger on here.  They fit great and feel great and now offer more protection.  Just need to black out that AS logo.

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

why black out the logo?

LOL - it's not an AS mask.  Plus, I'm one of those "no logo" guys as much as possible. Just feels odd to have a visible logo on a different maker's gear to me.  That'd be like sticking a Wilson "W" on an AS CP - just feels odd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

LOL - it's not an AS mask.  Plus, I'm one of those "no logo" guys as much as possible. Just feels odd to have a visible logo on a different maker's gear to me.  That'd be like sticking a Wilson "W" on an AS CP - just feels odd.

Fair ... but just think .... Team Wendys .... they don't make masks :D 

5 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Fair ... but just think .... Team Wendys .... they don't make masks :D 

True, which is why it's not odd.  And their logo is small.  Honig's is same color as pads so I barely notice theirs as well, and they're my 1st choice for most masks.

The LUC-Mag pads have one thing going for them that convinces me to pick my FM4K out of my gear bag on a cold morning instead of my usual +POS ZRO-G or DynAlum... 

I already said it. Cold.

I trust and use nothing but Team Wendy's on all my masks... except the FM4K, and man, does it come in handy when the temperature drops below 50º. The TWs have this tendency to harden like concrete in cold temps (as we've discussed).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

... man, does it come in handy when the temperature drops below 50º. The TWs have this tendency to harden like concrete in cold temps (as we've discussed).

This is the reason I went to the Wilson memory foam pads. But I think I am going to go back to the TW, even though the first half of the baseball season here in the wet north is usually under that 50 degree threshold. I find that the TW pads loosen up for me by the end of the first or second AB. And find them more protective (whether they are or not) than the Wilson pads.

• Like 1

Did you all see the video from Ray @ Umplife on his FB page?  Looks like he's going to be getting into the replacement pad business.  He wants to offer pads similar to the Mag pads but with the reinforcement on the top pad as well as the bottom pad.  I think it sounds great and am looking forward to the product!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AL-Ump said:

Did you all see the video from Ray @ Umplife on his FB page?  Looks like he's going to be getting into the replacement pad business.  He wants to offer pads similar to the Mag pads but with the reinforcement on the top pad as well as the bottom pad.  I think it sounds great and am looking forward to the product!

I did and I prefer Honig's pads anyhow, so this is a win-win for me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AL-Ump said:

I'm not finding that - what's the date of that FB post?  I'd love to check out that top pad!

13 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

I'm not finding that - what's the date of that FB post?  I'd love to check out that top pad!

Feb 4 @ 3:49PM

No pics yet.  He mentions the Honig's pads and the AS pads,  then talks about putting a plate in them on both top and bottom pad.

Ray.jpg

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Feb 4 @ 3:49PM

No pics yet.  He mentions the Honig's pads and the AS pads,  then talks about putting a plate in them on both top and bottom pad.

Ray.jpg

Sounds as though he's going to use Honig's pads (his preference) as the guinea pig pads for his "plate" to test out ....

• Like 1