Justin

Local training questions

Hi all,

My local high school group has been in turmoil for the past few years, and I've recently been asked to take charge of new candidate training, which has been largely non-existent in the past. I have six 2-hour classroom sessions to cover (field training is being handled by another unit in the next county over). What are your ideas for a basic structure to this course? Does anyone here have materials they're willing to share to help me get this off the ground? What are the major points I should cover, and in what order do you typically cover them? I'm a high school teacher in "real life," but this is my first attempt to teach umpiring past one-on-one conversations.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Hi all,

My local high school group has been in turmoil for the past few years, and I've recently been asked to take charge of new candidate training, which has been largely non-existent in the past. I have six 2-hour classroom sessions to cover (field training is being handled by another unit in the next county over). What are your ideas for a basic structure to this course? Does anyone here have materials they're willing to share to help me get this off the ground? What are the major points I should cover, and in what order do you typically cover them? I'm a high school teacher in "real life," but this is my first attempt to teach umpiring past one-on-one conversations.

What specific topics are you looking to cover in each class?

Please have a session on "what to expect" for your organization. Structure it from the moment someone is interested through their first few years. No group I've been a part of did anything similar and I always wish I had known how everything works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Hi all,

NFHS I believe has some training's of 2 man system rotations on a power point that is good for training.

Something else that is good to talk about is a "pre game plan" training.  So giving the expectations of an umpire from getting an assignment to putting a ball in play.  All the steps that lead up to the PU starting a game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yawetag said:

Please have a session on "what to expect" for your organization. Structure it from the moment someone is interested through their first few years. No group I've been a part of did anything similar and I always wish I had known how everything works.

This is going to be separate from rookie training, but we are holding a "New Member Orientation" that will include all new members, including rookies and transfers. First time we're doing something like this so I'm interested to see how it works out.

• Like 1

Im somewhat confused on the initial post.  Id like to help out the original poster but am not sure what exactly he is referring to.

Is this a "rookie class" being held in the classroom and then field work is being done by some other group?