NFHS 2020 Rules/ PoE / Baseballs

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1483 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ This has crossed my mind too.  I can't afford traveling for waste of time and loss of funds.

Looks like more people besides me will be sending questions surrounding this rule to their assignors :nod: 

1 hour ago, Stan W. said:

I travel a long way to make the games I am assigned. I lose plenty of game assignments due to foul spring weather...........they have not said anything about umpire compensation if the teams aren't compliant............It looks like I will be buying the cheapest dozen of compliant baseballs I can find. Far better to trade a team 2 compliant balls for what they have than to travel home unpaid.........  

For states that are taking a stand on this issue, this needs to be part of the equation: if a school does not have legal baseballs, the kids can't play AND the school must still pay the umpires.

Kids not playing, meh. AD will get some phone calls. Paying umpires for showing up? ACK! We gotta buy some fricking baseballs! Today!

I have my state's bulletin at home and will check for our guidance on this topic.

• Like 1

Michigan and Pennsylvania seem to be "don't play" states. But Ohio is going with "play and report" this year. Weird.

The bulletin sent to interpreters is wrong: the state meeting presentation has different info, and Ohio is a "don't play" state.

6 hours ago, Stan W. said:

I agree its going to happen..........just like the nocsae catchers gear.........I know they had 3 years ....If the home team does not have any compliant baseball  we were told to ask the visitors if they had any correct baseballs and if so play the game.....if not the game does not get played.......

I travel a long way to make the games I am assigned. I lose plenty of game assignments due to foul spring weather...........they have not said anything about umpire compensation if the teams aren't compliant............It looks like I will be buying the cheapest dozen of compliant baseballs I can find. Far better to trade a team 2 compliant balls for what they have than to travel home unpaid.........  

If the teams don't have correct baseballs, just ask if they have cash. $20 from each team, that way there are no favorites. 

Ohio's state rules meeting just came out - no games if baseballs do not have the NOCSAE/NFHS mark.

Oh - and for all those questioning the NOCSAE catcher's gear - this has not changed.  Coach - are all of your players legally and properly equipped?  If yes, then we are done.  We do not check gear or bats - but we do check baseballs!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, GreyhoundAggie said:

I agree its a bit stupid when they say its ok for scrimmages but not ok for regular games.

I'm less liable magically for a scrimmage?

I'll double check again but at our meetings we were told play the game and file a report if the wrong balls are provided. 

How are the non-certified balls safer for “sub-varsity” games?

I have always had a personal beef with the “it’s just” attitude (just JV, just 7th grade, just 12u, and on and on).  However choosing not to apply safety-based rules to any level is asinine (and asi-ten!).  Directing umpires not to do it is just negligent.

• Like 1

I'm doing more digging in OH. Our online rules meeting said no mark - no game, but I'm hearing from others who received a letter stating we play and report.  I have reached out to my assignor and local association for clarification.

It's clear as mud.

• Like 1

Rather than buy baseballs, keep a 1-2 from the first few games you have, assuming those ones go off with the right balls. Sure, they’re used, but you’ll have something legal so you didn’t waste an hour drive, game fee, etc. 

States have to be crystal clear on this. Because you know the backlash/pressure we’re going to take if we hold our ground and say “sorry, can’t play” over a baseball. 

How are the non-certified balls safer for “sub-varsity” games?

I have always had a personal beef with the “it’s just” attitude (just JV, just 7th grade, just 12u, and on and on).  However choosing not to apply safety-based rules to any level is asinine (and asi-ten!).  Directing umpires not to do it is just negligent.
My only assumption is that the younger kids aren't playing with the same intensity, speed, (bat and pitch) .....so the safety factor drops now the potential NOCSEA standard?

Only thing I can think of

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

I'm doing more digging in OH. Our online rules meeting said no mark - no game, but I'm hearing from others who received a letter stating we play and report.  I have reached out to my assignor and local association for clarification.

It's clear as mud.

I can explain that. The interpreters received an early draft of the bulletin that had the "play and report" guidance.

After that, Dan changed his mind, perhaps for consistency with surrounding states, perhaps with guidance from OHSAA legal counsel, perhaps just whimsically. Who knows. But when they built the online presentation, the guidance had changed to "do not play."

That's going to be the bottom line.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 10:45 AM, maven said:

I can explain that. The interpreters received an early draft of the bulletin that had the "play and report" guidance.

After that, Dan changed his mind, perhaps for consistency with surrounding states, perhaps with guidance from OHSAA legal counsel, perhaps just whimsically. Who knows. But when they built the online presentation, the guidance had changed to "do not play."

That's going to be the bottom line.

This is a mess. Assignor wasn’t sure either.  Updated: Assignor comes back after talking to local rules interpreter - they're saying play and report.  I am sure this will be hot topic at our first association meeting in 2 weeks.

I agree with you - Dan is final word and said no mark - no game.

Here is the question from the NJ recertification test:

Question #26

The home team provides the umpire-in-chief with three new baseballs that have the NOCSAE stamp but not the NFHS authenticating mark.

• a. Umpire(s) shall ask the visiting team to provide 3 legal baseballs.
  • b. Umpire(s) shall declare a NO CONTEST and not start the game.
  • c. If the home team and visiting team cannot provide baseballs with the NOCSAE stamp and NFHS authenticating mark, the umpire(s) shall play the game and immediately report the home team to state association.
  • d. A and C are correct.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, maven said:

So I guess this is the open topic. Feel free to quote this post and update it directly. Here's the list AFAIK:

"Don't Play" states:

CA, MI, NC, OH, PA, SC

"Play and Report" states:

NJ, TN, TX, NY

Just had my state interpreters' meeting this weekend - NY is a "play and report" state.