Sign in to follow this  
Phu Bai

Any Call here

Question

Hot Stove stuff
   Clip of Kershaw getting "upset"(around 1:40 mark on clip) regarding a strike call.....during the next play after muffing a grounder, he slams the ball to the ground then throws the all into the dugout
  From a rules standpoint should any base runners be allowed to advance?

5 answers to this question

The video of Kershaw throwing the game ball out of play took place in a game played on August 18, 2015, in Oakland. I checked the box score and the play-by-play and Kershaw was not charged with an error and the runner at first was not awarded any bases. The A’s use their third base dugout so it appears that Kershaw threw the ball into his team’s dugout (the first base dugout) for whatever reason.

I agree with Mr. Lou B that a call would depend on whether or not time had been given. My guess is that the batter-runner requested time upon returning to first after overrunning it and time was granted by the U1. If time had not been granted then, yes, an award of two bases TOT would be the proper call.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Phu Bai said:

From a rules standpoint should any base runners be allowed to advance?

Not from a rules standpoint, no.

MLB umpiring is not a useful guide for amateur umpires.

• Thanks 1

Being he immediately puts his glove up to catch a different ball, I would suppose "time" was called.

4 hours ago, yawetag said:

Being he immediately puts his glove up to catch a different ball, I would suppose "time" was called.

That was my thought also, as another ball is on its way to him pretty quick.  I’m assuming he was tossing it to the ball boy (or whomever) as it was being rotated out of play.  He may have been a little over-aggressive.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this