Sign in to follow this  
Umpire in Chief

Site being down Jan 21 & 22.

I just want to give you an update as to what's been happening. 

Someone got into an @umpire-empire.com email account and sent out thousands of spam email. The company I lease the server from shut down the site for violation of the TOS. Go figure spamming is frowned upon. They realize this was not done by me and reopened the site.

First level support just told me to change the passwords for all things relating to the site, email addresses and more, which I did. The initial passwords were fairly secure, the new ones were VERY secure. BUT that said, early this morning they struck again and the site was shut down again.

I did not believe a hacked PW was the root cause and the second instance confirmed my belief. 

I have been working with advanced level support and am having a complete threat analysis done as I type this. They tell me this should be able to identify the root cause and exactly how people are getting in. 

Important things to know.

• This appears to be an issue regarding an email vulnerability and not the forum software
  • Emails which were sent were sent to random people - not U-E members
  • Email addresses of our members remain secure in the forum SW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Appreciate everything you do UIC!  Keep up the good work!

You know us low-level umpires are high-value targets ... :beerbang

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank goodness.

I am not too proud to admit that I was starting to experience withdrawal symptoms...

• Like 3