ID this mask please...

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1513 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It’s a Wilson Titanium, of that first version that was released as part of the Platinum product family. That mask has a helluva forward rake on that chin guard, no? That’s to accommodate that ridiculous, unnecessary billow pad on the Platinum CP. You mentioned that it’s low profile... is it flatter than a hubcap?

Uh-huh. 

And yes, it’s really a Titanium. The bar ends being solid and the faceting on the wicket (inverted U) are the giveaways. Hollow steel, made back then, doesn’t do that. This is the mask that gouged Wilson and caused such a headache for Wilson’s customer service reputation and profit margins (along with the  Shock FX). The original leather pads had likely long since been swapped out or deteriorated, so those Champro pads ended up on it instead.

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

It’s a Wilson Titanium, of that first version that was released as part of the Platinum product family. That mask has a helluva forward rake on that chin guard, no? That’s to accommodate that ridiculous, unnecessary billow pad on the Platinum CP. You mentioned that it’s low profile... is it flatter than a hubcap?

Uh-huh. 

And yes, it’s really a Titanium. The bar ends being solid and the faceting on the wicket (inverted U) are the giveaways. Hollow steel, made back then, doesn’t do that. This is the mask that gouged Wilson and caused such a headache for Wilson’s customer service reputation and profit margins (along with the  Shock FX). The original leather pads had likely long since been swapped out or deteriorated, so those Champro pads ended up on it instead.

Thanks Max! Good to hear from you again on here.  I was 99% sure it was a Wilson Ti, but wanted verification.

I should have it today or tomorrow, but I thought the rake looks really forward too.  It just looks small in the pics, but I'm sure it's because of the forward lean. I have a Samurai Shovel I can put on it - or more than likely I'll move the mask on to someone else who wants one.

I think it's low profile just off pics, but I may be wrong.  The big ear guards are what made me think this was a LP, but I may be wrong.  I'll try to get a side profile shot once I have it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:12 AM, MadMax said:

Uh-huh. 

Sorry but the rake as some call it or the extended throat guard as I do is not to accommodate the "billow pad."  It was angled to accommodate an additional 4" or 6" throat guard attachment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, acpar72 said:

Sorry but the rake as some call it or the extended throat guard as I do is not to accommodate the "billow pad."  It was angled to accommodate an additional 4" or 6" throat guard attachment. 

That's what I always thought too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, acpar72 said:

Sorry but the rake as some call it or the extended throat guard as I do is not to accommodate the "billow pad." 

“Rake” refers to the angle off of plumb vertical that a structure incurs. So, the extended chin guard (or “throat guard”, as you call it) is raked abruptly forward in the case of the Platinum Edition DynaLite masks. Most modern masks have a forward-raked extended chin guard so as to accommodate an actual, dangling throat guard attached. Masks used to be devoid of “extended chin guards”, especially in the amateur ranks, so as to accommodate a dangling throat guard. Jorge Posada, though, was fond of propping his mask upon his head, and commissioned a new mask design that didn’t need a dangling throat guard that would otherwise hang in his face when he had the mask propped upon his head. Enter the iconic Nike Titanium, and its oversized, extended chin guard, with no rake and oriented straight down, that could pass as its own throat guard.

Fine for pros, but not for amateurs. Some amateur organizations still require a dangling throat guard. So, most mask manufacturers – who also made a good deal of margin profits from dangling throat guard sales – trotted out new mask designs that had all the appeal of the Nike, complete with extended chin guards raked forward to allow the attachment of dangling throat guards.

So I misspoke. I forgot one component and assumed @wolfe_man knew what I was talking about. The Platinum Edition mask’s extremely raked forward chin guard is to accommodate a dangling throat guard. The billow pad on a Platinum WestVest is there to accommodate a dangling throat guard, inhibiting it from clacking against the plastic breastplate. So, two radical alterations (sorry, “design enhancements”) to two separate products to accommodate a $5 piece of plastic. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MadMax said:

“Rake” refers to the angle off of plumb vertical that a structure incurs. So, the extended chin guard (or “throat guard”, as you call it) is raked abruptly forward in the case of the Platinum Edition DynaLite masks. Most modern masks have a forward-raked extended chin guard so as to accommodate an actual, dangling throat guard attached. Masks used to be devoid of “extended chin guards”, especially in the amateur ranks, so as to accommodate a dangling throat guard. Jorge Posada, though, was fond of propping his mask upon his head, and commissioned a new mask design that didn’t need a dangling throat guard that would otherwise hang in his face when he had the mask propped upon his head. Enter the iconic Nike Titanium, and its oversized, extended chin guard, with no rake and oriented straight down, that could pass as its own throat guard.

Fine for pros, but not for amateurs. Some amateur organizations still require a dangling throat guard. So, most mask manufacturers – who also made a good deal of margin profits from dangling throat guard sales – trotted out new mask designs that had all the appeal of the Nike, complete with extended chin guards raked forward to allow the attachment of dangling throat guards.

So I misspoke. I forgot one component and assumed @wolfe_man knew what I was talking about. The Platinum Edition mask’s extremely raked forward chin guard is to accommodate a dangling throat guard. The billow pad on a Platinum WestVest is there to accommodate a dangling throat guard, inhibiting it from clacking against the plastic breastplate. So, two radical alterations (sorry, “design enhancements”) to two separate products to accommodate a $5 piece of plastic. :rolleyes:

I followed and understood.  

For the record, you called it a chin guard with a forward rake. Your exact words <as shown above> were: "That mask has a helluva forward rake on that chin guard, no?"

I find it amusing we have to correct each other all the time.  It's why I (mostly) stay out of the rules forums.