Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dumbdumb

First female MLB coach

Recommended Posts

Last of the big 3 sports to have one...

NBA, 2014
NFL, 2015

MLB, 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maven said:

Last of the big 3 sports to have one...

NBA, 2014
NFL, 2015

MLB, 2020

About time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I should be relieved or happy that no one here has made a comment on her appearance yet and it's been over half a day.

That alone is a little sad in itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for her and her accomplishments, and I'm sure she's well qualified for the role...but this appears specious.

I'm calling bullSH*# here.

Is she a Life Coach....this sounds like some team's attempt to sound woke and make it look like they're being progressive, when, in fact, they're using a female in a role most teams have already done, without specifically putting "coach" in the label - trainers, physiotherapists, health advisors, technicians, pyschologists, positive reinforcement specialists, etc.  Females hold those roles all over MLB...and any one of them could easily be re-labelled to "coach" in the right scenario.   

When I see a female advising MLBers on how to hit, or walking out to the mound to settle down a pitcher, or standing in a box waving runners to the next base, then I'll celebrate MLB's "progressiveness"...or, baby steps now, when they actually hire a female coach who is going to be able to be on the bench during a game (SF has 13 "coaches" and only 7 are allowed on the bench).  I think this is a mirage.   

 

May even be an attempt by MLB to build up some good will against the cheating scandal, as the story was broken by an MLB.com writer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, maven said:

Last of the big 3 sports to have one...

NBA, 2014
NFL, 2015

MLB, 2020

And it is absolutely ridiculous that MLB will be the last to have an on-field official.  And, more than likely, they will be at least more than a decade behind the NFL and more than two decades behind the NBA.

Frankly, baseball should have been the first.  It is not like one can even make an argument that women are physically unable to officiate baseball...not when baseball is the least physically demanding sport (of the three) to officiate.  Its not like we have to run up and down a court (or field) all game long, or risk being crushed by a linebacker trying to make a tackle.  Clearly women can run up and down an NBA court with world-class NBA athletes for 48-minutes, and women can handle getting out of the way of huge NFL players hurtling toward them.  There really is no excuse for women not to be in MLB by now.  The reason there is not has been the toxic male culture that existed in MLB ownership and league offices (now MLB office), and among many of the past professional (MiLB and MLB) umpires. 

It'll be interesting to see if things have changed as more and more women go to umpire school, and a new generation has taken over MiLB UD and MLB UD.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lawump said:

And it is absolutely ridiculous that MLB will be the last to have an on-field official.  And, more than likely, they will be at least more than a decade behind the NFL and more than two decades behind the NBA.

Frankly, baseball should have been the first.  It is not like one can even make an argument that women are physically unable to officiate baseball...not when baseball is the least physically demanding sport (of the three) to officiate.  Its not like we have to run up and down a court (or field) all game long, or risk being crushed by a linebacker trying to make a tackle.  Clearly women can run up and down an NBA court with world-class NBA athletes for 48-minutes, and women can handle getting out of the way of huge NFL players hurtling toward them.  There really is no excuse for women not to be in MLB by now.  The reason there is not has been the toxic male culture that existed in MLB ownership and league offices (now MLB office), and among many of the past professional (MiLB and MLB) umpires. 

It'll be interesting to see if things have changed as more and more women go to umpire school, and a new generation has taken over MiLB UD and MLB UD.

Same words can be used for D1 men's Collegiate or they would be there also. I will let you have the pro shortcomings which I totally agree with, and I will remind about the collegiate baseball shortcomings for officiating men's collegiate D1 with 450 Conference game staff positions on a full schedule weekend (and that does not include the Conferences that have 4 man crews which pushes the total needed with a full 150 game schedule to over 500 positions over the weekends) not to mention the non- conference positions during the week and only 1 recent hire to Non-Con last year that worked LLWS and is military like she couldn't have handled this level until just last year, give me a break. And of course not to mention the basketball shortcomings until the recent PAC 10 with just 1 hire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lawump said:

Frankly, baseball should have been the first. 

This is all I would quibble about. Umpiring used to be all about projecting authority, and men—especially athletes, especially pro athletes—usually don't recognize women's authority (a defect, but there it is). 

In the era of "get it right," women are just as good at that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, maven said:

 

In the era of "get it right," women are just as good at that.

And in many cases, women get it right (in a lot of things) more than men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:29 PM, maven said:

In the era of "get it right," women are just as good at that.

Just ASK them

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Just ASK them

Yes, the (them) men i have been listening to for all these years have been the only ones I have heard, in the vain that it is all about the men are the only ones who are and can get 'it' right, no matter the 'it' topic or situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lou B said:

I was told the computer that calls balls/strikes is female!  :)

The one giving me directions on my phone is a woman.  She's correct every time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So,, which Major/Power 5/6 D1 Baseball Conferences (Big 10/Big 12 has reached out/offered her a spot on their staff???

And which Independent Professional League has reached out to hire her for after the Collegiate season is over???

And, will she even have the time to pursue umpiring anymore??

Or, is this just a part time Spring job/position??till MiLB starts????I

https://athletics.millikin.edu/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/jen-pawol/724

What's up???

https://www.evolve2excellence.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...