SeeingEyeDog

Instructions for tailoring pants, please?

Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time poster...I just bought 2 new pairs of Smitty Poly-Spandex pants to start the season. One pair of PU and one pair of BU. Offhand, I am extremely impressed with their quality and I'm looking forward to wearing them.

I've read a little bit elsewhere online that it's advisable to wear your plate shoes and shin guards when getting the PU pants hemmed at the tailor and also wearing your base shoes for the BU pants. And that you want the rear edge of your pants one half inch to one inch off the ground. Are cuffs or regular hem preferred? If cuffs, how tall should the cuffs be? Is there anything else I should be telling the tailor directly in terms of type of thread used or the way the pants are stitched to form the hems?

~SED 

56 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time poster...I just bought 2 new pairs of Smitty Poly-Spandex pants to start the season. One pair of PU and one pair of BU. Offhand, I am extremely impressed with their quality and I'm looking forward to wearing them.

I've read a little bit elsewhere online that it's advisable to wear your plate shoes and shin guards when getting the PU pants hemmed at the tailor and also wearing your base shoes for the BU pants. And that you want the rear edge of your pants one half inch to one inch off the ground. Are cuffs or regular hem preferred? If cuffs, how tall should the cuffs be? Is there anything else I should be telling the tailor directly in terms of type of thread used or the way the pants are stitched to form the hems?

~SED 

Welcome!

Where did you read about wearing your plate shoes and shin guards when at the tailor?  If it was on this site, then that same info should have recommendations/instructions also.  NO CUFFS!!!!!!! 

If all you're having done is getting it hemmed, you may consider doing it yourself. You'll need someone to help measure it, but hemming is actually very easy to do, even if you're not a handy semster (I don't think that's a word...)

I always have a pro hem my pants. I get mine a little shorter in the front, than the back.

I have them hem up a lot of material as the extra weight on the plate pants tends to pull them down, and keep them from binding up and looking goofy.

And yeah, wear your shin guards and plate shoes when getting fitted.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kylejt said:

I get mine a little shorter in the front, than the back

I do too. IT comes from what I was taught whilst a member of Uncle Sams Misguided Children.  With the break of 5/8" from front to back, it laid nicer on the shoe without looking LIKE $#!T.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

If I may also suggest getting a traveler's crease put in them. You will thank me later.

I'll second that. Men's Wearhouse did mine.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:16 PM, Thunderheads said:

Welcome!

Where did you read about wearing your plate shoes and shin guards when at the tailor?  If it was on this site, then that same info should have recommendations/instructions also.  NO CUFFS!!!!!!! 

Thunderheads,

The bit about wearing your shin guards and plate shoes at the tailor came from...and I quote, "our man Scott Kennedy...at Ump-Attire.com". He has done so many great videos regarding their gear. I don't remember which one it was (likely the one on pants), but he was the one I heard talk about doing this to get proper measurements and fit.

Good tools...PROPER TOOLS are not cheap and that includes our clothing. The last thing anybody wants to happen after buying a $50 pair of pants is run into a problem with the tailoring. I thought I'd check in here to see what other recommendations people had and as I suspected it would...the Empire provided!

All, thanks for all of your responses, comments and remarks. We are a small fraternity. We are a tight fraternity. Thank you for looking after my needs and I look forward to looking after yours.

~SeeingEyeDog

Check with your local dry cleaner as many of them do alterations. We have one that will fit and hem pants for $10. They don't advertise, I think they just do it for customers. They aren't same day, but 2-3 days is quicker than I'd be able to get to them and they do a better job. 

• Like 2