New Under Armour Mask

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1290 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

23 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Greetings brothers,

I did some research last night...So, WindPact is the brain child start-up of former NFL player Shawn Springs. He started the company to help reduce head injuries in sports but the company got off the ground with a $600,000 Federal contract on a military helmet liner. Evidently, they will compete against Team Wendy. I sent them an email indicating I was interested in purchasing their pads in the UA mask and could they direct me to an online retailer or brick and mortar? I'll let you know if I hear anything...

~Dog

I have also asked Evoshield if they plan on selling the pads separately as well.  Will respond with findings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh, this gets more intriguing... 

EvoShield has a new HSM, packed with WindPact CC pads:
16279693023fefd5e18f65609110e65bb1b589ce

Looks like it was based off the Wilson Pro Stock! Imagine that! It certainly carries that premium price tag, at $289. Now, this is important to guys like @SeeingEyeDog – it is sized to hat size 8, something that neither the Wilson Pro Stock (< 7 5/8), nor the All-Star MVP (< 7 1/2), nor the UnderArmour Converge (< 7 1/2), nor the Force3 Defender (< 7 1/2) can accommodate. Would this be something to consider, as an umpire? Potentially... but I am not going to actively advocate for or endorse it. Why not?

Because, by now, in this modern digital age, there should be, or should have been, a think-tank formed with umpires – the specific target market – as a significant part of the group.   And there hasn't been.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, kylejt said:

I wish, but we're just not that big lucrative of a market

FIFY. Not that simple of an issue. Was it you, or @acpar72 who would remind us of the thousands upon thousands of LL umpires? You’re right though... we’re perceived to be this... gotta strive to change it.

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Surprising no one, they will not sell the pads separately.  There are no plans to sell anything but the mask at this time.

Well, the pads are not EvoShield’s to sell. They are WindPact’s... and frankly, I’m surprised that a partnership was formed between WindPact and two very separate entities in EvoShield (a subsidiary of Wilson, which in turn is under a Finnish international corporation) and UnderArmour (who is beholden to no-one). The selling of someone else’s technology, separate from the product it is contractually linked to, gets into this whole maelstrom of breach-of-contracts, trademarks, and liabilities. While we (those on U-E reading this) probably wouldn’t do it, you know someone out there would file a claim or sue EvoShield regarding the pads, to which EvoShield would (rightly) reply with, “That’s not our mask frame, though. You put the pads on an unapproved mask,” and this whole big back-and-forth legal snowball fight would ensue, the likes of which only, say, @lawump could follow. Think a sandpaper-y @Matt -type guy at the middle of this.