New Under Armour Mask

BlueRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1311 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Yes, you don't see it that often but sometimes guys will wear a tan pad on the top and a black pad on the bottom or vice versa, if you search on a photo of Dale Scott, or Jerry Lane, I'm pretty sure they both did it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. 

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, kylejt said:

I wonder if it makes a farting sound as the air exits the pads. I'd pay for that. 

Actually, I find this quite interesting. Am I going to ditch my current rig? I dunno. Maybe. 

A whoopee mask.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 8:24 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

So my response to UmpAttire on Twitter wasn't correct?  and here I thought it was Liberating Unused Cash 

:D That works, too!

Might actually turn that into a new slogan:

”Ump-Attire.com, where umpires go to Liberate Unused Cash”.

Start looking for commission checks in your mailbox if we use it. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 1:50 AM, FranklinT said:

@JimKirk would love to see UA carry some All Star replacement mask pads (specifically the LUC pads for the Magnesium mask and the standard LUC pads that fit their traditional masks.)

Great idea! Your post prompted us to put your suggestion on yesterday’s product committee meeting. As a result, we are putting the black LUC mag pads on order this coming week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/13/2020 at 9:15 AM, wolfe_man said:

but that mask frame is ugly!

It’s not supposed to be pretty looking, it’s supposed to be different looking. It’s a branding-fueled planform. We all know an All-Star is an All-Star because of that comb-style bar planform. @Thunderheads remembers this one – the FM2000:

image.jpeg.8c50dd05ec628f663b1d59bfc12872c5.jpeg

Can you, too, spy the All-Star logo in the bars? That’s why they shaped it that way. UnderArmour is doing much the same, and while I don’t think they’re going to make a big splash in Major League Baseball, my professional guess is they’re gunning for Nike and Easton in the college baseball arena. Nike hasn’t exactly been proactive in progressing – much less continuing – the iconic Titanium mask, CP (seriously, why haven’t they put Air, Shox, Fusion, or React technology in their CPs??), and shinguards. Many college programs, sponsored by Nike for their uniforms and footwear, seek out and are supplied by Easton or All-Star for their catchers gear. Adidas has recognized the importance of the college market, as we’re seeing this in the Adidas Pro Issue mask (the “Icon”, as we’ve nicknamed the planform), which resembles the Nike Titanium “Icon” for good reason. With this new mask – and especially the new pads to represent a significant step forward in technology – UnderArmour can present a complete branding package to their sponsored colleges, head to toe.

The pads intrigue me. Notice where they originate from – the football helmet industry. Hmm. What other highly advanced foams came out of helmet development?*

With these pads, the gauntlet has officially been thrown down (again); Wilson has to pursue pads better than foam-filled leather sausages.

As far as mounting pads in the FM4K-Mag, sure, it’ll take Team Wendy’s, but really, why do you feel the need to? The new LUC-Mag pads address the problem borne out of how drastically lightweight the mask is – stand-off volume and a hard distributor plate! That plate works. It’s just a shame it’s not (yet) on the upper pad. Then again, since All-Star focused on catchers primarily, catchers already wear a hard hat.

* Answer: Team Wendy’s came about for ski helmet development, while 3DO was brought to North America by Schutt for their football helmets.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Any warm weather umps have an update on this mask?  Also, is this really an All-Star mask with UA branding?  I currently have the All-Star FM4000 with LUC pads (the standard pads) and really don't see how the UA air-bag pads would be better - are they just a gimmick, or is this new UA mask a great mask?

On 1/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, MadMax said:

It’s not supposed to be pretty looking, it’s supposed to be different looking. It’s a branding-fueled planform. We all know an All-Star is an All-Star because of that comb-style bar planform. @Thunderheads remembers this one – the FM2000:

Can you, too, spy the All-Star logo in the bars? That’s why they shaped it that way. UnderArmour is doing much the same, and while I don’t think they’re going to make a big splash in Major League Baseball, my professional guess is they’re gunning for Nike and Easton in the college baseball arena. Nike hasn’t exactly been proactive in progressing – much less continuing – the iconic Titanium mask, CP (seriously, why haven’t they put Air, Shox, Fusion, or React technology in their CPs??), and shinguards. Many college programs, sponsored by Nike for their uniforms and footwear, seek out and are supplied by Easton or All-Star for their catchers gear. Adidas has recognized the importance of the college market, as we’re seeing this in the Adidas Pro Issue mask (the “Icon”, as we’ve nicknamed the planform), which resembles the Nike Titanium “Icon” for good reason. With this new mask – and especially the new pads to represent a significant step forward in technology – UnderArmour can present a complete branding package to their sponsored colleges, head to toe.

The pads intrigue me. Notice where they originate from – the football helmet industry. Hmm. What other highly advanced foams came out of helmet development?*

With these pads, the gauntlet has officially been thrown down (again); Wilson has to pursue pads better than foam-filled leather sausages.

As far as mounting pads in the FM4K-Mag, sure, it’ll take Team Wendy’s, but really, why do you feel the need to? The new LUC-Mag pads address the problem borne out of how drastically lightweight the mask is – stand-off volume and a hard distributor plate! That plate works. It’s just a shame it’s not (yet) on the upper pad. Then again, since All-Star focused on catchers primarily, catchers already wear a hard hat.

* Answer: Team Wendy’s came about for ski helmet development, while 3DO was brought to North America by Schutt for their football helmets.

Con-cushion

It really is an interesting design concept for the pads.. it should work better than the F3 spring system, in theory. I don't know if I can safely say that it would work better than the TW technology and design, though, but I would be interested in any studies from either military or football that may have tested this and/or TW vs impacts.. it COULD (if designed correctly into the pads) be the top protection against impacts for these types of masks, IF it can dissipate those "angled" shots from foul balls/errant bats etc that TWs can definitely handle, AND the air bladder??? design covers the full range of possible shot magnitudes we would take.

So my two concerns before buying would be:

1) how does it match up to TW in impact abatement?

2) can you wash/dry these with the same ease as TWs (washing machine, then air dry)?

Finally, i am not sold on the mask as far as looks go (and possibly weight).. 

If the pads were sold separately, i would buy a pair now and throw them in an icon or ZERO-G, and give them a tryout. For the 170 buck price tag with a mask look I am not fond of, MEH, I will wait for some more info on my two concerns...

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 1:50 AM, FranklinT said:

@JimKirk would love to see UA carry some All Star replacement mask pads (specifically the LUC pads for the Magnesium mask and the standard LUC pads that fit their traditional masks.)

These are now on order in black and in grey. Hope to have them in next week or the following. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, MadMax said:

FM4K sounds so cool.  CAn really impress the junior umpires with that one.  MadMax, can I use that term?

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, I think this is being worn in the by Seattle catcher, but with an All-Star logo! (Which is great because I like AS better than Under Armour.)  Compare this pic (sorry the quality is not great) to the pic on Ump Attire. 

image.png.51bd64b820e36bfe4bfb21bfbc04cc59.png

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Masks/UAFM2-WP-BK_Under-Armour-Silver-Umpire-Mask-with-Black-Windpact

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Interestingly, I think this is being worn in the by Seattle catcher, but with an All-Star logo!

Well-spotted, Rock. It is a FM2 frame, but those aren’t Windpact CC pads. They’re just All-Star LUCs. For one, the tabs aren’t the same, and the other... I bet, for now, the Windpact CC’s are only offered in black... and the Mariners are, of course, in navy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Man, I don't know about this mask. I like the tech in the pads, but that frame is ugly.  Can they get a few more bars on it?  There's clean lines and then there is this mask. Wow.

ONE MILLION PERCENT agree with this!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 6:52 AM, wolfe_man said:

Man, I don't know about this mask. I like the tech in the pads, but that frame is ugly.

I’ve been thinking it over – madly, how else? – of what the ideal mask frame would be to team with these intriguing WindPact CrashCloud pads... :HS

Got it!

champro-rampage-umpire-mask---dri-gear.j

The magnesium-cast Champro Rampage of course! Stan had mentioned that the FM4000-Mag / FM5000 brought its own unique challenges, only really mitigated by improving the existing LUC pads into the “Gen II” LUC-HP/RP/RO pads they now offer. Like Kyle(?) has said, those Champro pads really shouldn’t be trusted, but with how voluminous the Rampage is, those WindPacts may just be the ticket...

@JimKirk, any chance your UA rep or supplier could send a set of WindPact pads out as testers?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

EvoShield has a new mask with the Windpact pads:

HUH! Curious...

It’s a (hollow) steel mask, and teamed with those WindPact CC pads, looks pretty impressive. I’m even tempted to get one, if only to get my hands on those WindPact pads and pit them through their paces.

What I find so... intriguing... is that EvoShield is a subsidiary... of Wilson!!! So it takes a branding and marketing of EvoShield to appeal to catchers? It takes EvoShield to get steel masks that are powdercoated instead of vinyl-dipped? It takes EvoShield to get new, advanced pads for masks? Is there, or was there, a plan to employ these pads on, say, Wilson masks where they might actually make a noticeable difference?

If EvoShield is embarking on this, on their own, it represents a wind shift. Not only are the WindPact pads being shared non-exclusively (UnderArmour, now EvoShield), but EvoShield is targeting college and amateur catchers outside of NFHS mandates (ie. the use of a one-piece HSM). If you note along with me, the mask is vaguely evocative of the All-Star’s shape, which Stan Jurga disclosed is pursuing a geometry-based solution, vectoring energy away from a perpendicular impact. EvoShield couldn’t have arrived on this on their own; they likely took cues from All-Star. To their credit, though, EvoShield may have arrived at this design through air-cannon and drop tests, based on their production of batting helmets.

Hey EvoShield! While you’re at it, how about a molded tarsal cap that can attach to any (most) base shoes to turn them into plate shoes?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kylejt said:

What I find interesting is the MLB logo on the side of the mask. It also shows up on their website. 

I find it odd... why on one side only?  Why have it there at all?  I wonder how hard it'd be to pop that logo off of there?

I will say it beats the life out of the UA mask.  This is a MUCH better looking mask!

They also have a helmet with Windpact technology... at $289!

https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/catcher-s-gear/head-protection/pro-srz-catcher-s-helmet

• Like 1

Greetings brothers,

I did some research last night...So, WindPact is the brain child start-up of former NFL player Shawn Springs. He started the company to help reduce head injuries in sports but the company got off the ground with a $600,000 Federal contract on a military helmet liner. Evidently, they will compete against Team Wendy. I sent them an email indicating I was interested in purchasing their pads in the UA mask and could they direct me to an online retailer or brick and mortar? I'll let you know if I hear anything...

~Dog

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1