NCAA Test

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1534 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Last one from me...I know this play has been discussed before but I'm not sure what the consensus is on it in NCAA. It's obviously B or C...Rule 9-3-m-2 makes me lean toward B... If a balk immediately is followed by a wild throw by the pitcher to a base that permits a runner(s) to advance to or beyond the base to which that runner is entitled, the balk shall be acknowledged. The umpire will call the balk in the usual manner, but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and/or a fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).

R1, R3, 1 out. The pitcher steps toward 3rd, fakes a throw, then immediately turns and throws to 1st base. The pickoff attempt goes over F3’s head and rolls toward right field in foul territory. R3 scores and R1 is thrown out at 3rd trying to advance there.

a.Balk is called. Let play continue but if R1 is put out at 3rd, call “Time” and put him back at 2nd.

b.Balk is called but “Time” is not called until all play has ceased. R3 scores and R1 is out.

c.Balk for faking a throw to 3rd base. Call “Time” immediately and nullify any further play

d.Legal play.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JSam21 said:

They want you to give the runner 3rd

Seems the don't want you to give the runner 3rd. Keep him at 2nd. The wording is wrong by saying "awarding" 2nd base. He already obtained 2nd base. 

3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

They want E because C is also true.

Nice typo the have on the test. Six things qualify but only a-e called out on test answer. Oops.

1 hour ago, zoops said:

Last one from me...I know this play has been discussed before but I'm not sure what the consensus is on it in NCAA. It's obviously B or C...Rule 9-3-m-2 makes me lean toward B... If a balk immediately is followed by a wild throw by the pitcher to a base that permits a runner(s) to advance to or beyond the base to which that runner is entitled, the balk shall be acknowledged. The umpire will call the balk in the usual manner, but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and/or a fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).

R1, R3, 1 out. The pitcher steps toward 3rd, fakes a throw, then immediately turns and throws to 1st base. The pickoff attempt goes over F3’s head and rolls toward right field in foul territory. R3 scores and R1 is thrown out at 3rd trying to advance there.

a.Balk is called. Let play continue but if R1 is put out at 3rd, call “Time” and put him back at 2nd.

b.Balk is called but “Time” is not called until all play has ceased. R3 scores and R1 is out.

c.Balk for faking a throw to 3rd base. Call “Time” immediately and nullify any further play

d.Legal play.

I think the key word in the question is "immediately" - he immediately turns and throws, so we leave the play live.  If he turns and doesn't throw - then kill it.  B

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grayhawk said:
4 hours ago, zoops said:
I assume they want choice E for this one since A&B are true but D is not, but all the literature I've seen says something to the effect of "it is at the sole discretion of the crew chief" (not in consultation with the crew)?
Which of these guidelines are correctly stated?
a.Each head coach is allowed a maximum of 2 challenges per game.
b.A coach’s challenge can be used to review any of the 12 types of plays at any time during the game.
c.The crew chief (with consultation from the crew) can decide to review any of the first 6 plays (a – e) at any time.
d.The crew chief (with consultation from the crew) can decide to review any of the newly expanded list of plays (g-l) at any time.
e.a, b, and c.
f.All of the above.

They want E because C is also true.

And it's not f (all of the above) because the cc can only opt to review the newly expanded list in the last 2 inns.

Here’s one I struggled a little with. 
Do we call a batter runner out immediately for passing R1, or wait until the ball falls?  Since I can’t find anything to confirm delaying the call,  I guess it’s immediately.  

On 1/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, Richvee said:

Here’s one I struggled a little with. 
Do we call a batter runner out immediately for passing R1, or wait until the ball falls?  Since I can’t find anything to confirm delaying the call,  I guess it’s immediately.  

Immediately is correct

• Like 1

Here's one I need some guidance on:

R3, one out, attempted suicide squeeze. F1 fields the bunt and tosses home where R3 is ruled safe. F2 now tries to retire the batter at 1st base but hits him in the back while running outside the running lane.

a. Due to an “intervening play”, R3 scores even though the batter-runner is out.

b. The run does not score only if there are 2 outs

c. The batter-runner must be running with both feet outside the 3-foot running lane for interference to be called.

d. The run does not score and R3 returns to 3rd.

I have a & b, but since there is no "e." with that option, I don't know which one they want...

5 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

R3, one out, attempted suicide squeeze. F1 fields the bunt and tosses home where R3 is ruled safe. F2 now tries to retire the batter at 1st base but hits him in the back while running outside the running lane.

a. Due to an “intervening play”, R3 scores even though the batter-runner is out.

The guidance is right in the book, my bold:

"Interference SECTION 51� The act of an offensive player, umpire or nongame person who interferes with; physically or verbally hinders; confuses; or impedes any fielder attempting to make a play� See specific rule sections for action to be taken: batter (6-2-d, 6-3-b, 7-11-f, k, l and n, 8-2-e, 8-5-l and p); batter-runner (7-11-l, m, o, p and q, 8-2-g, 8-5-e, o, p and q); runner (6-2-e and g, 6-4-b, 7-11-r and s, 8-2-g, 8-3-f and g, 8-5-d and k); coach (6-2-c, 8-3-j, 8-5-f and g); nongame personnel (4-8, 6-4-a, 7-11-t, 8-3-n); offensive team (5-2-d, 8-5-h and q); umpire (6-2-f, 6-3-a)� Note 1: If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was touched legally at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules. The ball is dead. Note 2: If the batter-runner has not touched first base at the time of interference, all runners shall return to the base last occupied at the time of the pitch. If there was an intervening play made on another runner, all runners shall return to the base last touched at the time of interference."

1 minute ago, Jimurray said:

If there was an intervening play made on another runner, all runners shall return to the base last touched at the time of interference."

ok - so at the time of interference, R3 had scores.  So A is correct.  But if there were 2 outs, B/R is out for the 3rd out, and no run can score if the 3rd out is made by the B/R at first - correct?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

b. The run does not score only if there are 2 outs

c. The batter-runner must be running with both feet outside the 3-foot running lane for interference to be called.

d. The run does not score and R3 returns to 3rd.

I have a & b, but since there is no "e." with that option, I don't know which one they want...

If I were still umpiring (and under the rules at that time), I'd reason that A is *sometimes* true while B is always true.

I also recognize the conflict between B (two outs)and the conditions of the question (one out) -- but I'd ignore that--just like I'd ignore that fact that, according to the question (assuming it was copied correctly), F2 is the one running outside the running lane. ;)

26 minutes ago, scubabob34 said:

ok - so at the time of interference, R3 had scores.  So A is correct.  But if there were 2 outs, B/R is out for the 3rd out, and no run can score if the 3rd out is made by the B/R at first - correct?

They want A.

1 hour ago, scubabob34 said:

Careful with this. The key is that there was an intervening play on R3 before the interference, not simply the fact that R3 had scored before the interference. 

For example, had R3 scored without a play at the plate and then the BR got called for RLI, R3 would be sent back to third. 

• Like 1