NCAA Test

zoops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1534 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Figured I'd start discussion on this.  One I was having trouble finding:

R1, R2, no outs, 3-2 count. R1 and R2 are stealing on the next pitch, which is in the dirt. B3 swings and strikes out. The catcher blocks the pitch back toward to the batter who unintentionally deflects the ball.

a.The batter is out on strike 3. R1 and R2 stay at 2nd and 3rd respectively.

b.The batter is out. R1 and R2 return to 1st and 2nd.

c.The batter is out for interference. Both R1 and R2 must return to their “time of pitch” bases.

d.The batter is not out on strike 3. The defense must throw B1 out at 1st on the dropped 3rd strike. R1 and R2 remain at 2nd and 3rd respectively.

1 hour ago, zoops said:

R1, R2, no outs, 3-2 count. R1 and R2 are stealing on the next pitch, which is in the dirt. B3 swings and strikes out. The catcher blocks the pitch back toward to the batter who unintentionally deflects the ball.

c.The batter is out for interference. Both R1 and R2 must return to their “time of pitch” bases.

d.The batter is not out on strike 3. The defense must throw B1 out at 1st on the dropped 3rd strike. R1 and R2 remain at 2nd and 3rd respectively.

You should be able to eliminate two options fairly easily.

Mr. zoops, the following NCAA rule should help you eliminate one other option. Since Mr. Sandpaper helped you eliminate two of the choices he was twice as helpful as I was but together we got you to the right answer.

2019-2020 NCAA rule 7 SECTION 11. A batter is out when:

h. A third strike is not caught, provided a runner occupies first base and there is not more than one out;

Note: If, while attempting to advance to first base, the batter-runner intentionally deflects the ball, the batter-runner is declared out, the ball is dead and all runners return. If, the batter-runner unintentionally deflects the ball with 2 outs, the ball is alive and in play. With less than 2 outs and first base occupied, the ball is dead and all runners return, unless the runner(s) are stealing on the pitch.

And, Mr. Biscuit, the answer to your OBR question can be found in 2019 OBR rule 6.01(a)(1) and its associated Comment.

56 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. zoops, the following NCAA rule should help you eliminate one other option. Since Mr. Sandpaper helped you eliminate two of the choices he was twice as helpful as I was but together we got you to the right answer.

2019-2020 NCAA rule 7 SECTION 11. A batter is out when:

h. A third strike is not caught, provided a runner occupies first base and there is not more than one out;

Note: If, while attempting to advance to first base, the batter-runner intentionally deflects the ball, the batter-runner is declared out, the ball is dead and all runners return. If, the batter-runner unintentionally deflects the ball with 2 outs, the ball is alive and in play. With less than 2 outs and first base occupied, the ball is dead and all runners return, unless the runner(s) are stealing on the pitch.

And, Mr. Biscuit, the answer to your OBR question can be found in 2019 OBR rule 6.01(a)(1) and its associated Comment.

Good thing this question popped up so I didn't learn I missed it wrong from a coach!

I've got a few that are driving me a little crazy looking for citations. I'll start with this one. 

Between innings, the catcher and his coach are engaged in a heated argument in the dugout. The coach sends this catcher to the locker room. On his way to the 3rd-base coaching box, the coach tells the Plate Umpire that S1 will bat in place of his catcher in the 4th spot in the order.

● a. ○ S1 is not officially in the lineup. The coach can still change his mind before the 4th spot comes to the plate, use another substitute, and save S1 for later in the game.

● b. ○ The coach cannot project a substitution. He must wait until that spot in the order comes to bat or if it does not come up before the team is on defense, then he can announce it.

● c. ○ This is a legal substitution and the PU should write S1’s name on the lineup card at that time.

○ 5.5.b note 2 suggests when the coach reports it to the UIC, the sub is official. . The 2015 BRD has this note from Paronto   “There are no future (projected) substitutions in the college games.(Arbiter Hub, Mar 2014, interp #9)) 

24 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I've got a few that are driving me a little crazy looking for citations. I'll start with this one. 

Between innings, the catcher and his coach are engaged in a heated argument in the dugout. The coach sends this catcher to the locker room. On his way to the 3rd-base coaching box, the coach tells the Plate Umpire that S1 will bat in place of his catcher in the 4th spot in the order.

● a. ○ S1 is not officially in the lineup. The coach can still change his mind before the 4th spot comes to the plate, use another substitute, and save S1 for later in the game.

● b. ○ The coach cannot project a substitution. He must wait until that spot in the order comes to bat or if it does not come up before the team is on defense, then he can announce it.

● c. ○ This is a legal substitution and the PU should write S1’s name on the lineup card at that time.

○ 5.5.b note 2 suggests when the coach reports it to the UIC, the sub is official. . The 2015 BRD has this note from Paronto   “There are no future (projected) substitutions in the college games.(Arbiter Hub, Mar 2014, interp #9)) 

I was also leaning toward choice C due to the rule you noted and 5-5-c: Any player other than the pitcher may be substituted for at any time when the ball is dead...(although I also thought projected substitutions were not allowed).  

17 minutes ago, zoops said:

I was also leaning toward choice C due to the rule you noted and 5-5-c: Any player other than the pitcher may be substituted for at any time when the ball is dead...(although I also thought projected substitutions were not allowed).  

I'd like to see that projected subs are not allowed somewhere besides the 2015 BRD. I have no access to "arbitor hub March 2014" that Carl refers to in the BRD. 

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

I'd like to see that projected subs are not allowed somewhere besides the 2015 BRD. I have no access to "arbitor hub March 2014" that Carl refers to in the BRD. 

I think Paronto is saying that subs are immediate so they don’t qualify as projected. The sub is in the game right away. In fact I think you could argue it’s not even projected in FED.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, zoops said:

Ended up finding this one basically verbatim in the pre-season guide as well.  

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

I think Paronto is saying that subs are immediate so they don’t qualify as projected. The sub is in the game right away. In fact I think you could argue it’s not even projected in FED.

Ahhh. I get it. 

Mr. Richvee, I think the key to answering your question is the timing of the notification—i.e., it came between innings. Once again, I cannot tell you categorically but here’s why I think the answer is option C—it’s how the pros do it. 

From the 2013 Wendelstedt Rules Interpretation Manual (section 4.4.3.a, p. 44):  If the offensive manager informs you that he is making a substitution, the player is immediately in the game. If the manager informs you between innings that a substitute will pinch-hit for a player in the lineup, the substitute has entered the game. The manager cannot change his mind later without making another substitution if circumstances change before the hitter comes to bat.

And the official interpretation by Paronto you cited is also in the 2016 BRD. If you keep using the BRD as effectively as you did in this case it won’t be long before Mr. maven has to acknowledge your “mad” BRD skills.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Richvee, I think the key to answering your question is the timing of the notification—i.e., it came between innings. Once again, I cannot tell you categorically but here’s why I think the answer is option C—it’s how the pros do it. 

From the 2013 Wendelstedt Rules Interpretation Manual (section 4.4.3.a, p. 44):  If the offensive manager informs you that he is making a substitution, the player is immediately in the game. If the manager informs you between innings that a substitute will pinch-hit for a player in the lineup, the substitute has entered the game. The manager cannot change his mind later without making another substitution if circumstances change before the hitter comes to bat.

And the official interpretation by Paronto you cited is also in the 2016 BRD. If you keep using the BRD as effectively as you did in this case it won’t be long before Mr. maven has to acknowledge your “mad” BRD skills.

Maybe I can find stuff in the BRD, but I need work on reading it correctly. I needed @Jimurray to explain to me what Poranto meant. :shrug:

13 hours ago, zoops said:

The key is that the runners were stealing.

• Like 1

There is really only one BS question on this test, and it's the one with the BR being obstructed before reaching first base.  The information given to render judgment on the placement of R1 is insufficient.  It's kind of a coin flip between awarding second or third.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grayhawk said:

There is really only one BS question on this test, and it's the one with the BR being obstructed before reaching first base.  The information given to render judgment on the placement of R1 is insufficient.  It's kind of a coin flip between awarding second or third.

They want you to give the runner 3rd

17 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

They want you to give the runner 3rd

We should place other runners as if there was no obstruction. It's a bunt with R1. Had there been no obstruction, BR is out, or beats out the play at 1B...Of course R1 rounds 2nd. Every runner would round second. If he rounds second, and F4 has the ball at 1B, what are the chances he advances to 3rd? It may be the answer they want, but I don't agree given the info we have. R1 would need to be well on his way to 3B at the time of the obstruction, and, unless he was running on the pitch, is highly unlikely. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Richvee said:

We should place other runners as if there was no obstruction. It's a bunt with R1. Had there been no obstruction, BR is out, or beats out the play at 1B...Of course R1 rounds 2nd. Every runner would round second. If he rounds second, and F4 has the ball at 1B, what are the chances he advances to 3rd? It may be the answer they want, but I don't agree given the info we have. R1 would need to be well on his way to 3B at the time of the obstruction, and, unless he was running on the pitch, is highly unlikely. 

I agree... The test wants you to place the runner on 3rd. My first attempt I kept the runner at 2nd... It was marked wrong. I sent the runner to 3rd on my 2nd attempt. I got it right. 

In an actual game, unless I'm 100% sure that R1 is going to reach 3rd safely, there is no way I am placing the runner on 3rd in this situation.

• Like 1

I agree... The test wants you to place the runner on 3rd. My first attempt I kept the runner at 2nd... It was marked wrong. I sent the runner to 3rd on my 2nd attempt. I got it right. 

In an actual game, unless I'm 100% sure that R1 is going to reach 3rd safely, there is no way I am placing the runner on 3rd in this situation.

I placed him at second and got it correct.
  • Like 1

I assume they want choice E for this one since A&B are true but D is not, but all the literature I've seen says something to the effect of "it is at the sole discretion of the crew chief" (not in consultation with the crew)?

Which of these guidelines are correctly stated?

a.Each head coach is allowed a maximum of 2 challenges per game.

b.A coach’s challenge can be used to review any of the 12 types of plays at any time during the game.

c.The crew chief (with consultation from the crew) can decide to review any of the first 6 plays (a – e) at any time.

d.The crew chief (with consultation from the crew) can decide to review any of the newly expanded list of plays (g-l) at any time.

e.a, b, and c.

f.All of the above.

I assume they want choice E for this one since A&B are true but D is not, but all the literature I've seen says something to the effect of "it is at the sole discretion of the crew chief" (not in consultation with the crew)?
Which of these guidelines are correctly stated?
a.Each head coach is allowed a maximum of 2 challenges per game.
b.A coach’s challenge can be used to review any of the 12 types of plays at any time during the game.
c.The crew chief (with consultation from the crew) can decide to review any of the first 6 plays (a – e) at any time.
d.The crew chief (with consultation from the crew) can decide to review any of the newly expanded list of plays (g-l) at any time.
e.a, b, and c.
f.All of the above.

They want E because C is also true.

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I was always under the impression that a sub has entered the game: when the player takes the position on the field on defense, base or box on offense and play resumes.

You would be under the wrong impression for announced subs. The criteria for unannounced subs varies with the code.