2020 staff changes

MLB umpire observer
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1475 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:52 PM, MLB umpire observer said:

Any news on any MLB staff changes for 2020?

I am guessing that if you are not in the know, no one is. Seems like we might find out about some things after the ratification vote which I believe coinsides with their big meeting and health care checkups out in Phoenix coming up.

Injuries discovered that require simple surgery can then be performed and given at least 6-12 weeks to heal and try to get ready for opening day.

Most umpires who were originally hired in Feb./March/April would be waiting for their original hire date to be coming up before announcing.

The students at the umpire schools may be hearing more of the scuttlebutt than anyone else, if they keep their ears to the ground. But of course that would not be something for them to blab about or announce, especially before the formal vote is finalized.

By the end of this CBA in 2024, there are 20 umpires on the current staff that will be between the ages of 60-72 years old and all will have 25 or more years of full time experience except Hickox on the experience end.

All the umpires that came up in 99 no matter their age, will have 25 years of experience under their belts by the end of this new CBA and they all have the often mentioned 20 years of vested time right now.

Should be quite a few job openings in the next 5 years and especially 10 years until things quiet down again. And if by some chance they make the ABS an extra position for umpires only, and go to 5 man crews in the future, that would make for an extra 15 job openings.

Or just call 1-800-Bill Miller and ask.

All in good time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

I am guessing that if you are not in the know, no one is. Seems like we might find out about some things after the ratification vote which I believe coinsides with their big meeting and health care checkups out in Phoenix coming up.

Injuries discovered that require simple surgery can then be performed and given at least 6-12 weeks to heal and try to get ready for opening day.

Most umpires who were originally hired in Feb./March/April would be waiting for their original hire date to be coming up before announcing.

The students at the umpire schools may be hearing more of the scuttlebutt than anyone else, if they keep their ears to the ground. But of course that would not be something for them to blab about or announce, especially before the formal vote is finalized.

By the end of this CBA in 2024, there are 20 umpires on the current staff that will be between the ages of 60-72 years old and all will have 25 or more years of full time experience except Hickox on the experience end.

All the umpires that came up in 99 no matter their age, will have 25 years of experience under their belts by the end of this CBA and have the often mentioned 20 years of vested time.

Should be quite a few job openings in the next 5 years and especially 10 years until things quiet down again. And if by some chance they make the ABS an extra position for umpires only, and go to 5 man crews in the future, that would make for an extra 15 job openings.

Or just call 1-800-Bill Miller and ask.

All in good time.

Sorry ...... "ABS an extra position" ??

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Sorry ...... "ABS an extra position" ??

Just think at some time in the past???? the topic of a 5th umpire has come up and give the PU a total day off the next day.

Just wishful thinking, considering the Red Sox scandal and the Astros scandal, do you really want Home personel handling the ABS system of relaying the pitch to the umpire?? If you ain't cheat'in, you ain't trying syndrome. A 5th umpire in the crew rotation to work the ABS system to take the integrity issue off the table would open up another 15 jobs.

Not saying this is on the table or would be in the thoughts, just my wishful thinking.

But, if they want a crew of integrity laden local umpires to handle the job to handle ABS in the parks, i hope someone will submit your name @Thunder.

I am also thinking about local hacking of the ABS system, where a pitcher like a Glavine who likes to work the corners and keep the ball low, has the system hacked and the perameters of the system switched to the advantage of the local home starter, and nobody would know about the hack job. Just things that cross my mental wacked out mind.

3 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Just think at some time in the past???? the topic of a 5th umpire has come up and give the PU a total day off the next day.

Just wishful thinking, considering the Red Sox scandal and the Astros scandal, do you really want Home personel handling the ABS system of relaying the pitch to the umpire?? If you ain't cheat'in, you ain't trying syndrome. A 5th umpire in the crew rotation to work the ABS system to take the integrity issue off the table would open up another 15 jobs.

Not saying this is on the table or would be in the thoughts, just my wishful thinking.

But, if they want a crew of integrity laden local umpires to handle the job to handle ABS in the parks, i hope someone will submit your name @Thunder.

I am also thinking about local hacking of the ABS system, where a pitcher like a Glavine who likes to work the corners and keep the ball low, has the system hacked and the perameters of the system switched to the advantage of the local home starter, and nobody would know about the hack job. Just things that cross my mental wacked out mind.

I see, ok, thanks ............  not sure I understand the bold, however.....

42 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

I think that MLB would more likely have an MLBAM employee working on that end instead of paying a six figure salary to 15 more people to sit at a computer every 5th day. 

Why does this article say former MLB umpire Gerry Davis??? Inquiring minds want to know. When were all you guys in the know going to let us know? Where was the memo? Did not see it here, or at CCS. Or??? Was this a misprint??? What's the scoop??? Real or fake news???

https://www.nbc26.com/sports/mlb-umpire-gerry-davis-bucks-legend-sydney-moncrief-honored-at-red-smith-sports-awards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And it looks like one will take a DL year so that one MiLBU could work the full year with a crew. Also don't forget that in the front office, director Randy Marsh is 70, Ed Montague is 71 and Tom Leopard will be 70 in July. Rich Reiker is not getting any younger with the possibility of taking over for Marsh. Seems like Reikers on field career was cut short due to injury.

Those there are getting to that magical social security maximum payout age, if they have waited to apply. And, do you  want to go down with your boots on, or stay away from that honey do list forever?

With expansion of robot umps, maybe some new positions are being created in the front office for some retiring umpires to move into, if they do desire.

Its funny how we have seen recent promotions (Whitson during 2019, and now Lentz, DeJesus, and Visconti) nowhere near the top of games worked.  A quick ascension.  Makes you wonder if the guys at the top of this list won't get a full-time job.

2019 Call-Up Umpires, sorted by MLB experience (Underlined = most gms ump'd that season):
1) Chris Segal - 513 Games (111 in 2014, 116 in 2015, 21 in 2016, 124 in 2017, 141 in 2018).
2) Ryan Blakney - 475 Games (88 in 2015, 142 in 2016, 119 in 2017, 126 in 2018).
3) Ben May - 404 Games (30 in 2014, 88 in 2015, 69 in 2016, 104 in 2017, 113 in 2018).
4) Sean Barber - 393 Games (92 in 2014, 58 in 2015, 67 in 2016, 67 in 2017, 109 in 2018).
5) Tom Woodring - 380 Games (102 in 2014, 54 in 2015, 36 in 2016, 107 in 2017, 81 in 2018).
6) Nic Lentz - 363 Games (105 in 2016, 109 in 2017, 149 in 2018).
7) Chad Whitson* - 332 Games (7 in 2014, 8 in 2015, 52 in 2016, 124 in 2017, 141 in 2018).
8) Ramon De Jesus - 260 Games (97 in 2016, 81 in 2017, 82 in 2018).
9) Roberto Ortiz - 142 Games (8 in 2016, 66 in 2017, 68 in 2018).
10) Ryan Additon - 129 Games (55 in 2017, 74 in 2018).
11) Nick Mahrley - 108 Games (31 in 2017, 77 in 2018).
11) Jansen Visconti - 108 Games (108 in 2018).
13) Jeremie Rehak - 98 Games (98 in 2018).
14) Shane Livensparger - 86 Games (40 in 2017, 46 in 2018).
15) John Libka - 77 Games (19 in 2017, 58 in 2018).