kylejt

New MLB gear

Has anyone heard anything about new gear or sponsors for the MLB guys? I mean it's January, and you'd think something would be sneaking out by now.

Someone here mentioned something about some revolutionary protection rolling at us sometime soon. I'm eagerly wait for that news, too.

Nike stuff. Anyone?

I've got Xmas money ready to drop on new gear.

Nike has the NFL Uniform Contract... They don't make the officials uniforms. Nike does seem to make the NBA officials' uniforms. They aren't available for sale to the general public. If Nike does make the umpires' uniforms two things to be aware of. 1) They are most likely going to be Nike Branded Majestic cool base shirts, just like the player's uniforms are for the 2020 season. 2) They won't be available to the public. 

OK, here’s the scoop. The shirts and jackets are the same for 2020.   They will get one brand new jacket by Nike. It is still undetermined if the shirts will have no logos or have Nike logos… Will have to wait-and-see..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris. 

Of course there's little logic to that, if their logo isn't displayed. They're all about that SWOOSH being seen. 

I still find it hard to believe they'd be happy about the big white N on the shoes, though. I'd expect at least a big black Sharpie to be included with that box they get. 

• Haha 1

If Nike wants to continue using Colin Kapernick as a spokesperson, I won't be wearing any of their garb. Simply taking a Sharpie to the swoosh isn't good enough.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2020 at 10:57 AM, kylejt said:

Someone here mentioned something about some revolutionary protection rolling at us sometime soon. I'm eagerly wait for that news, too.

I read something about Wilson (I believe) coming out with a low profile chest protector. Supposedly, it won't be until closer to the late spring/early summer before it's released.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:57 AM, kylejt said:

Has anyone heard anything about new gear or sponsors for the MLB guys? I mean it's January, and you'd think something would be sneaking out by now.

Nike stuff. Anyone?

I've got Xmas money ready to drop on new gear.

That was Scott Kennedy in reference to plate shoes, actually ........

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jonathantullos said:

I read something about Wilson (I believe) coming out with a low profile chest protector. Supposedly, it won't be until closer to the late spring/early summer before it's released.

@MadMax ......

WILSON, ........coming out with something new ?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

@MadMax ......

WILSON, ........coming out with something new ?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

That's what I was led to believe. Guess we will just have to wait and see if it comes to fruition. I will say, though, if it does I'll definitely buy one. I like the protection of my WestVest but I don't like looking like a linebacker when I have a dish.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, jonathantullos said:

Wilson is NOT introducing any new gear for 2020. Catalogs for winter/spring/summer been out since the fall.

The only change with Wilson for 2020 is they are discontinuing the Wilson Charcoal CP:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/A3217-CHA13_Wilson-MLB-Charcoal-Umpire-Chest-Protector

Well, that's a shame, but to me, quite telling. I wonder if they still have any sort of deal with the MLB guys this year. 

I mean the Gold and Platinum are still solid go-to's, but the Davishield was a flop. But with the Douglas/Smitty almost getting it right (why no removable, washable padding? So close). Wilson is losing ground every season. 

I wonder who's waiting in the wings with some "revolutionary" stuff. 

Now, if Smitty were smart, they'd license TW technology, use their name, put that padding in their current design, but make it removable. 

Wilson will do something once they sell existing stock off. They just can’t throw it out and restart. Lesson here in not making too much up front.

I am not a Wilson apologist, but if you look at the Wilson catcher chest protectors they’re improving both the look and thickness. I’ve even seen foam with holes! Not D3O, but on the same road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Wilson will do something once they sell existing stock off. They just can’t throw it out and restart. Lesson here in not making too much up front.

I am not a Wilson apologist, but if you look at the Wilson catcher chest protectors they’re improving both the look and thickness. I’ve even seen foam with holes! Not D3O, but on the same road.

We met with Wilson in their Chicago HQ in June to discuss potential improvements. We solicited input, including from @MadMax, before we arrived.

While the meeting was great, I know this was a major transition year for them on the catcher’s gear side of their line with the new NOCSAE certified CPs now required with high school catchers.

I remain hopeful that the input provided will lead to progress in the future. We will keep pressing, and I will update UE members here if there is anything definitive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A couple of years ago I exchanged emails with the folks from X-Tech.  They are the new leaders in pro football shoulder pads.  They make those ridiculously low profile pads that have become so popular.

I asked if they had any intentions of developing protection for umpires and their answer was as soon as they finished establishing dominance in the NFL, umpire gear was next on their list.

I will have to follow up.

Here is an article from the NY Post.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/25/these-shoulder-pads-could-help-the-future-of-football/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:29 PM, JimKirk said:

Wilson is NOT introducing any new gear for 2020. Catalogs for winter/spring/summer been out since the fall.

The only change with Wilson for 2020 is they are discontinuing the Wilson Charcoal CP:

https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/A3217-CHA13_Wilson-MLB-Charcoal-Umpire-Chest-Protector

Well, I hate that. I would love something more low profile that gives as good of protection as my platinum CP. Here's hoping something comes about in the near future.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 7:33 PM, jonathantullos said:

Well, I hate that. I would love something more low profile that gives as good of protection as my platinum CP. Here's hoping something comes about in the near future.

The Wilson Charcoal CP is no more lower profile than the Platinum, or the Gold, for that matter. All three use the same upholstery-grade foam in their vests. One of the reasons why the Charcoal can become more low-profile than its siblings is because the all-important chest-to-shoulder joint is segmented, not fused. The one-piece plate on the Platinum is a protection feature (of the collarbone), that much be certain, but if not fitted and adjusted – correctly – then it stays as a flat wall and looks hulking. How do most Platinums ship? As flat as possible. How do All-Star CPU4000’s ship? Already pre-curved and formed.

So right out of the packaging, the Charcoal CP can hinge on that segmented joint, and if the user really cranks down on the (pathetic) stock harness, they can achieve a rather conforming fit. The Charcoal is marketed as Wilson’s Best Value Chest Protector, primarily because it offers a great deal of coverage at a sub-$100 price tag. So why do the Platinum and Gold cost so much more, sometimes nearly double? Because Wilson has to cover the cost of maintaining the Patents, the MLB Licensing, and the royalties to Joe West!

Those Patents have done more harm than good.

The carapace (the shell) on both the Platinum and Gold are actually quite nice and effective. The Platinum is an outgrowth of an effort to improve protection of the collarbone, based (loosely) on the original WestVest (while the Gold is actually descended more from a set of modified football shoulder pads). The Patents are in regards to how the padding vest connects and anchors to the carapace plates. Altering either model jeopardized the Patents’ enforcement. Of course, challengers to the Gold have largely died off (All-American went bankrupt, Riddell is out of baseball, etc.), but the Platinum has sparked competition (the CPU4000) and replication (the Diamond Pro CP) due to its lack of improvement and development. What these two CP’s need, at the very least, are new, latest-generation foam vests.

However, the hope is that Wilson lets the entire line drift off into the sunset alongside Joe West, along with letting the patents lapse (or at least, reapply for them in an updated manner) and the MLB Endorsement License. That license is a money-draining millstone Wilson doesn’t need to be successful with umpire gear. Neither do they need to wastefully supply retail with four different product lines. Simplify and strengthen, make at most 2 model lines and make them with the best materials and techniques to two market-sustainable and relevant pricing tiers.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:10 PM, jonathantullos said:

That's what I was led to believe. Guess we will just have to wait and see if it comes to fruition. I will say, though, if it does I'll definitely buy one. I like the protection of my WestVest but I don't like looking like a linebacker when I have a dish.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:33 PM, jonathantullos said:

You use both? Which do you prefer?