On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, wolfe_man said:

If you are not using your extension and want to get rid of it, please contact me.  I'm thinking of seeing how difficult it is to put together several of these and make a replacement CP pad for a Gold.  I might be able to use bicep guards too if anyone is getting rid of theirs.

We all know that the D3O foam is so much cooler and still protects very well.   I'm also trying for a more low profile look.  I've thought of simply buying a new Adams CP for the jacket, but I hate wasting the funds when I don't plan on using the CP.  I like the design on the CP, except for two things 1) I don't like the Velcro on it - very cheap  2) not sure why neck is so open at collarbone.  I've taken shots in these and they hold up well, but it worries me so I've been using a Douglas or Gold for the past 1/2 year or so.  Both are bulletproof as my Douglas has the gap coverage and t-hooks, but I prefer the Gold to anything else in all honesty.   If I can make a thinner jacket for it, then I may never buy another CP.

My plan is to re-use the existing CP cover from the Gold. Use a seam-ripper to remove the stitching and then remove the existing sofa foam by Wilson.  Then, cut or create something to hold the re-purposed D3O foam into the existing jacket, then sew it back up.  If done correctly, the Gold's Velcro tabs will hold and the jacket will be about half as thick - plus it will be cooler - without sacrificing protection.

This would be a lot easier if you could purchase a roll of D3O, but they don't sell it to the public right now. It is only available via retail channels in products.  The closest thing I can find is motorcycle back protectors with this product, but they're thicker than what I'd like to use.

If you get rid of old TW pads this summer, think of me too please.  I'm thinking I can re-use those as well.  Obviously, the TW mask pads are too large for the goal, but if you take the pads apart and think the padding, I'm wondering if it would work also.   The problem with having ideas is lack of funds. I really wonder at times if the reason we don't have better umpire gear is because we lack the funds to create and then prove our ideas, not to mention market and sell them.

Thanks!

I have the extension for my MaXV I would be willing to get rid of.

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

Ever think of using the material from a gel seat cushion? Might be a bit heavy though. 

I’ve thought of several foams, but trying to stay thin is a challenge. If you went thick foams you wouldn’t even need plastic plates, but goal is attempting to go low profile.

And I’ve always liked Gold fit and coverage.

21 hours ago, kylejt said:

That's why a thin gel, much like TW, might be the best solution for energy dispersion. 

That's not a bad thought.  Any idea of what gel to use? I know the newer Nike pads are gel-filled.  I really don't think it'd be thin enough though.  Fine for mask pads, but let's say you'd need the gel portion to be 1/8" to be effective (minimum in my mind), but then you'd need something to keep gel from busting open when impacted, so probably 1/4" on each side of the gel to create jacket and effective padding.  So now, you're over 1/2" wide... do-able, but I'm not sure if that'd be the best or most effective option.

I'd love to have a lab and the materials to test this type of thing.

vs gel GIF

For now, I've ordered a new Adams HDX XV and plan to use the D3O foam jacket and padding on my Gold.  I'll use the front of the existing Gold jacket and remove the padding.  Cut the D3O to match the Gold's padding profile and then insert it, then have it stitched back up.  Or I may just add new Velco attachments to the Adams jacket so it can be attached via Velcro like the existing Gold jacket does.  Or I've thought of Chicago screws holding it on to the Gold carapace.  Right now, it's just a plan until I get it all together and begin doing the real work.

• Like 1

You may find the sofa foam glued to the nylon of the WV Gold

I took one apart and it was glued together

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Razzer said:

You may find the sofa foam glued to the nylon of the WV Gold

I took one apart and it was glued together

Thanks @Razzer.  I'm actually looking forward to getting in there and seeing what is under the nylon.  I'm hoping I can use, at a minimum, the front of the existing Gold jacket so I don't have to measure and re-do the Velcro.

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

@wolfe_man, any update on the grand experiment?

Man, I hate that cheap Velcro on the Schutt/Adams.  I got a new one and began to explore if it were possible, but I gave up.  Too much work and I don't have the right tools.

I don't have the funds to ruin 2 good CP's and render them useless so I just left them both as-is and will bear with my Gold as-is.

I did buy an F3 V3 thinking maybe this was the best solution of all - but that chest plate is stiff and BIG.  And it doesn't bend.  I have a 48" chest and I feel like the body of the CP wraps around me well, but the chest feels huge even on me.

After all is said and done, I still really like my Gold fit and comfort.  Yes, it's hot - but bulletproof and thanks to Ray's harness it's a part of me.

7 hours ago, Concrete Panda said:

Yes, I've looked into several but the cheapest D30 I can find is $50+ per sheet and wouldn't be enough to cover your chest, let alone shoulders.   By the time you buy materials and foam, cost would be around $150 and I can buy a new CP for that.  There has to be a better way!