New here from Germany

AndyG
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1357 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hi everybody!

New umpire on this forum here from Germany. I wonder how many from my part of the world around here. At least I didn't see any map markers.

Officially licensend umpire for 20 years now, doing mostly adult/youth amateur level baseball (and softball for a few years, too). Germany, like all/most of Europe (as far as I know) is plain OBR.

We don't get to call as many games as some of you guys here, though, because baseball here is almost exclusively played on weekends. But we do get paid. ;) 

Found this place via Google. Great site! Tons of interesting stuff, great insight and advice on all things umpiring.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, AndyG said:

Hi everybody!

New umpire on this forum here from Germany. I wonder how many from my part of the world around here. At least I didn't see any map markers.

Officially licensend umpire for 20 years now, doing mostly adult/youth amateur level baseball (and softball for a few years, too). Germany, like all/most of Europe (as far as I know) is plain OBR.

We don't get to call as many games as some of you guys here, though, because baseball here is almost exclusively played on weekends. But we do get paid. ;) 

Found this place via Google. Great site! Tons of interesting stuff, great insight and advice on all things umpiring.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:17 AM, wolfe_man said:

Welcome!  I want to come and visit your country some day.  Most of my heritage is German and I'd love to visit the homeland.

My ancestors are also from Germany (Hochdorf, Kreis Esslingen, Baden-Wurttemberg ) in southern Germany near Switzerland.

On 12/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, AndyG said:

Hi everybody!

Just spent a few days in the Mosel River Valley in Sept.  Just beautiful.  And food and wine was incredible.

Thanks for the welcome everbody!

On 1/1/2020 at 11:22 PM, jonathantullos said:

Welcome! I love hearing from the umps in other countries, which is one of the reasons I like this message board so much. I would love to hear more about your experience umpiring in Germany. Have you umpired in any other countries?

@jonathantullosHaven't been umpiring in other countries yet, but would love to. The travel would be ok, too. The Netherlands, for example, where baseball is pretty big, are only about a 2 hour drive from where I live.

Hallo, AndyG, do you work any games for the Paderborn Untouchables in the Bundesliga? And do you work your games at Der Ahorn-Ballpark? I love the names of the teams in the league such as Dohren Wild Farmers, Hamburg Stealers, Bremen Dockers, and my personal favorite the Wesseling Vermins. I cannot find any list of German baseball words—could you tell us a few German baseball words such as safe/out, fair/foul, inning, und so weiter.

I love German music. Here are some of my favorites (do you like any of these?). Annett Louisan, Helene Fischer, Juliane Werding, Bettina Wegner, Anna Loos (of the band Silly), Nina Hagen, Connie Kreitmeier, Peter Maffay, Rammstein, Eisbrecher, Oomph, and my favorite name for a band Die Toten Hosen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, Senor Azul said:

Hallo, AndyG, do you work any games for the Paderborn Untouchables in the Bundesliga? And do you work your games at Der Ahorn-Ballpark? I love the names of the teams in the league such as Dohren Wild Farmers, Hamburg Stealers, Bremen Dockers, and my personal favorite the Wesseling Vermins. I cannot find any list of German baseball words—could you tell us a few German baseball words such as safe/out, fair/foul, inning, und so weiter.

@Senor AzulAs convenient as that would be (since I live only about a mile from Ahorn Ballpark) I won't be assigned to work Bundesliga games involving the U's because I am also a member of the club (I still play on their lower level "Landesliga" team) myself. German team names can get pretty creative, I admit that. Besides the ones you mentioned we also have the likes of the Bochum Barflies, the Magdeburg Poor Pigs, the Hannover Hangover Bats, and my personal favorite, the Lippstadt Ochmoneks.

We don't really have a lot of German translations for baseball terms, we mostly use the English ones. This is different for example in the Netherlands. They have Dutch terms for pretty much everything in "honkbal". Some of few German words we use interchangeably are "Schlagmann" for batter, "Schläger" for bat and "Handschuh" for glove, for example.

And I appreciate your musical taste, I do like some of the artists you mentioned as well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Guten Tag.  Ich vergesse mein Deutsch; es ist nicht so gut.  

What part of Germany?  I've been to Ramstein a few times, Kaiserslautern, Heidelberg, and Stuttgart -- that whole military neighborhood because I've been in the Army for almost 27 years!

My goodness, your people know how to EAT!  If I were stationed there very long, I'd be on the Army's overweight program!

• 1 month later...

It's sad we are not doing a lot of baseball because of COVID-19, but I do welcome you to the board, and I hope you enjoy the discussions.

I have done the Little League Regional in Kutno three times, and I met some terrific softball and baseball umpires from all over Europe.  Once when I was doing softball in Amsterdam, there was a 90-foot club baseball game scheduled on Sunday morning before we took to the softball fields.  Pretty good officials, and some of us were invited to participate to make it a four-man team.

Good to see the game growing!

Mike

Las Vegas