(NEW)New Balance V4 base shoes for 2020

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1559 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First off,

NB website liquidated EVERY pair of 950v3 base shoes in stock(just a few pairs of this model in plate shoe)...which screams NEW MODEL....so i contacted NB cust serv n was told, YES, a NEW model of umpire shoe will be dropping before the start of of baseball season but did not get a difinitive release date(wouldve been nice to get a pair of the v3 freshfoam during the NB blk friday sale...but, had i known NB was dropping a new model very very soon, the v3s wouldve dropped off my radar, even at 30% off!

when you can get 20% off at NB.com all the time thru promo code, for the brand new model...SIGN ME UP!!

Can never go wrong with new pair of NB, with 3-4 choices of width sizing, as an added benefit towards a more comfortable fit...

Cannot wait for new drop, as it seems NB is finally starting to realize, that this umpire shoe is MORE than just a novelty shoe in a niche market with lesser sales than other NB shoes....

I think they are seeing that with added comfort and the latest NB technology put into the 950v series, that its leading to increased sales from outside the umpire market....as many people need or want a solid black shoe for work or play, and the wht/blk are also a very comfy n practical shoe, that have the SAME freshfoam technology as my $150 NB running shoes.

So....if yur in the market for a NEW pair of base shoes....keep yur eye on the NB website

Thanks for reading n just wanted to keep my fellow umpires in the loop....as i gained important knowledge n info in my first yr of HS n lil league umpiring....thanks to other members of this forum for that, as the snow falls i will be starting my 3rd yr come march

If anyone has anymore info regarding this...

plz comment

Happy holidays n Good health to all!

• Like 1

Version 3 of the base shoes just came out this fall. Are you saying they will already have a version 4 before there is even a spring season with the new shoes? Or are you just saying a new plate shoe is folding out? That would make more sense because the Version 3 plate shoes have been out for almost 2 years. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 4:36 PM, spiffdawg7 said:

Version 3 of the base shoes just came out this fall. Are you saying they will already have a version 4 before there is even a spring season with the new shoes? Or are you just saying a new plate shoe is folding out? That would make more sense because the Version 3 plate shoes have been out for almost 2 years. 

So, I was told they plan to roll out a NEW model of shoe, no more stock of 950v3s coming back in at new balance official website. That would lead me to believe that they would be the 950v4s. Maybe they will wane away from the 950v series and go with a totally new design, thus a new model # also.

Like I said, there was limited information available to cust serv rep i spoke to, but enough information to be 100% --that new balance WILL be releasing a new umpire shoe, either next generation of 950v series(my assumption) or a totally new model shoe...i know i said this twice but just wanna be as clear as possible towards others in the market for new base shoes(all NB.com has left in stock is the plate shoes)screaming liquidation, which led me to contacting NB cust serv to find out what i thought was the inevitable....as i thought they would just restock the 950v3series, after black friday sale sold out the pairs that had been manufactured previous to now, n restock after.

(Ya i got my plate shoes the year b4 they made the foot cover detatchable by velcro if i recall, which would make em way easier to clean id think)

-Hope this helps-

On 12/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, umpstu said:

ON Saturday I heard from a person who just left New Balance as a rep tell me that Nike will be getting the contract for new shoes this spring.

Eh....if u have a narrow foot...nike all the way...but their shoes dont seem to favor the wearers that need a wider toe box.

N i can just about guarantee they wont have varying widths to their umpire shoes.

Sometimes i think people wear Nike....just to wear nike...

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 10:58 PM, kylejt said:

So maybe the screaming is just "we're getting out of the umpire shoe business. Liquidate the remaining stock." I dunno, just a guess. 

Damn, I shoulda asked Joe Torre when I bumped into him at the Winter Meetings last week. 

Makes absolutely no sense!!-

New Balance kills it in umpire shoe game...granted theres not much comp....but who needs competition when u make some of your shoe materials n shoes in The USA....WHO ELSE CAN SAY THAT?

Not to mention they make the MOST comfortable shoe...

IN THE WORLD!!!

just sayin--

So YES, u WILL see a NEW,

new balance

umpire base shoe

dropping soon!

6 minutes ago, The1yankee said:

New Balance kills it in umpire shoe game...granted theres not much comp....but i think NB has done fine with their line of umpire shoes...i wouldnt wear anything else...freshfoam

Not to mention they make the MOST comfortable shoe...

IN THE WORLD!!!

just sayin--

But YES, u WILL see a NEW,

new balance

umpire base shoe

dropping soon!

unless new balance rep was BS me for fun.....

22 hours ago, The1yankee said:

Eh....if u have a narrow foot...nike all the way...but their shoes dont seem to favor the wearers that need a wider toe box.

N i can just about guarantee they wont have varying widths to their umpire shoes.

Sometimes i think people wear Nike....just to wear nike...

No arguments from me.

I'm just saying that if Nike is outfitting MLB umpires with shirts and jackets, and who knows what else, they'd be none too pleased with that big white N on the sides of the shoes. I was sponsored by those guys in a different arena, long ago, and they're very picky about things like that. We're already seeing the swoosh very pronounced on the players new jerseys, unlike Majestic. Nope, Nike sponsors for a reason, to get their logo on TV, so Joe Couch Potato goes to Footlocker and Kohls and says "Thems is what I want". That's where their payoff is.

And umpire shoes are such a small market, we should be thankful everyday that anyone makes these shoes for us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Width is my MAJOR concern.  Unfortunately, New Balance is the only show I have found that offers a shoe wide enough for me.

As of now New Balance is the only shoes that come close to my width.  The Reebok Field Magistrates also were true to the width in the plate shoes.   The base shoes might have said 4E but there was no way they were actually 4E.  At least the pair I had.

• Like 1

Chalk me up in the “full figure foot” crowd ... haven’t been able to wear Nike or Reebok since I was in middle school.  I love Asics for my everyday shoes.

My plate shoes (which are ready to be replaced) are 3N2s that a friend gave me when I first started.  After a few wears they fit really nice. My base shoes have been New Balances, but not ones made specifically for umpiring.  I’m just not a fan of the “N” look and I definitely don’t like the white on there.  I’m an “all-black” guy.  I’d be willing to wear NBs because they fit.  

No way I’d ever wear a Nike ... they have to be two sizes too big just to get the right width.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kylejt said:

I'm just saying that if Nike is outfitting MLB umpires with shirts and jackets, and who knows what else, they'd be none too pleased with that big white N on the sides of the shoes. I was sponsored by those guys in a different arena, long ago, and they're very picky about things like that. We're already seeing the swoosh very pronounced on the players new jerseys, unlike Majestic. Nope, Nike sponsors for a reason, to get their logo on TV, so Joe Couch Potato goes to Footlocker and Kohls and says "Thems is what I want". That's where their payoff is.

And umpire shoes are such a small market, we should be thankful everyday that anyone makes these shoes for us.

I know it seems like im knockin nike kjt, but not gonna argue, they make quality masks n baseball gear, especially nike pro dri-fit gear...top of the line imho, or is it the same as all other dri-fit gear....probably, but nike white dri fit tees do look crispy, although i dont think yur gonna wear that shirt out...so who sees it but you...i feel sorry for any umpires that do not wear dri-fit underneath your gear in warm or cold weather, compared to cotton, after u start sweatin in cold weather with yur gear on, last thing u want is a soaked ass cotton  t-shirt under yur CP...

Sorry guys...i get to ramblin n get off topic lol

2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Chalk me up in the “full figure foot” crowd ... haven’t been able to wear Nike or Reebok since I was in middle school.  I love Asics for my everyday shoes.

My plate shoes (which are ready to be replaced) are 3N2s that a friend gave me when I first started.  After a few wears they fit really nice. My base shoes have been New Balances, but not ones made specifically for umpiring.  I’m just not a fan of the “N” look and I definitely don’t like the white on there.  I’m an “all-black” guy.  I’d be willing to wear NBs because they fit.  

No way I’d ever wear a Nike ... they have to be two sizes too big just to get the right width.

Youll love NB plate...the newer ones have detatchable foot cover via velcro makin them way easier to clean or to bang out dusty dirt

3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I would think that if Nike does have the contract they will make the shoes in a wider width.  Pretty sure that all umpires aren't a D width.

22 hours ago, umpstu said:

I would think that if Nike does have the contract they will make the shoes in a wider width.  Pretty sure that all umpires aren't a D width.

Yeah, pretty sure all the rest of the shoes Nike sells to the WHOLE WORLD are in D width, so they obviously don't care and have zero problem selling the rest of their shoes.