Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blue

Detached gear (2020 NFHS Preseason Guide)

On page 2 of the 2020 NFHS Preseason Guide is an article about an editorial change to 8-4-3(d).  This was an editorial change to clean up language so that it applies to runners and the batter runner, no longer including the batter.  (It never should have included the batter.)

In the article it includes a case play with two parts (a and b).  The part a I am fine with, but I think the information on part b is incorrect.

With a runner on first base and no outs, a batter swings at a 3-2 pitch in the dirt.  The ball gets past the catcher who then picks the ball up with her helmet/mask.  According to the article, R1 is awarded second base (yes) and the batter (designated as B2) is awarded first base.

I disagree with that ... the batter was retired (she is no longer the batter) and does not have the opportunity to become a batter runner on the uncaught third strike (due to the runner on first), thus she should NOT be awarded first base.

(Part a is the same play, but with a 2-0 count.  The ruling on it is correct: award the base runner second, the batter stays at bat with a 2-1 count.)

Am I missing something?

• Like 1

IIRC it is a 3 base award on a batted ball, 2 base award on a thrown ball and 1 base award on a pitched ball. I don't believe that a DK3 plays into this scenario, given that the "catcher who then picks up the ball with her helmet/mask" had committed the infraction, and thus, the award of bases.

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

IIRC it is a 3 base award on a batted ball, 2 base award on a thrown ball and 1 base award on a pitched ball. I don't believe that a DK3 plays into this scenario, given that the "catcher who then picks up the ball with her helmet/mask" had committed the infraction, and thus, the award of bases.

I think it is more of the fact that the batter shouldn't be awarded 1st on the play because they weren't eligible to legally advance because of first being occupied at the time of pitch. 

12 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

On page 2 of the 2020 NFHS Preseason Guide is an article about an editorial change to 8-4-3(d).  This was an editorial change to clean up language so that it applies to runners and the batter runner, no longer including the batter.  (It never should have included the batter.)

In the article it includes a case play with two parts (a and b).  The part a I am fine with, but I think the information on part b is incorrect.

With a runner on first base and no outs, a batter swings at a 3-2 pitch in the dirt.  The ball gets past the catcher who then picks the ball up with her helmet/mask.  According to the article, R1 is awarded second base (yes) and the batter (designated as B2) is awarded first base.

I disagree with that ... the batter was retired (she is no longer the batter) and does not have the opportunity to become a batter runner on the uncaught third strike (due to the runner on first), thus she should NOT be awarded first base.

(Part a is the same play, but with a 2-0 count.  The ruling on it is correct: award the base runner second, the batter stays at bat with a 2-1 count.)

Am I missing something?

You are missing that the people who do the guide also do “Referee”. They are not infallible and have been wrong before. I’m confused about the rule number cite. I’m also thinking that it’s a two base award in FED. And I’m also thinking that they might be hanging their hat on the wierd FED batter becoming a runner after a third strike notation. 
never mind. I didn’t see this was fast pitch. My post references baseball. 

It's an uncaught third strike with less than two outs and a runner on first, the batter is out.

I agree, you don't award first base to a batter that is already out.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

missed the R1application of this OP.  I agree with @Lou B, Batter is out, R1 to 2B