Batter intentionally kicks the pitch!

Double Up
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1596 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Doing a 10u Pony game last night and a batter intentionally, kicked his foot into the ball  that crossed low and inside. 

I could have very easily ruled dead ball strike, but IMO the pitch was a ball.    I called the ball  dead, and the pitch a ball w/o awarding 1B to the BR.  

The kid  must have been warming up for some hacky-sack with his teammates, because that exactly how it appeared.  He tried to catch the pitch mid air with his foot.

Did I miss anything other than an oppty to call this kid out on the dead ball strike (that was really a Ball, inside)? 

17 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Double Up said:

I could have very easily ruled dead ball strike, but IMO the pitch was a ball.

Why would it be a dead ball strike? Did he swing?

I called the ball  dead, and the pitch a ball w/o awarding 1B to the BR. 

That's what I would have done: the batter clearly permitted the pitch to hit him (FED) and made no attempt to avoid the pitch (OBR).

The ball is dead whenever a pitch hits a batter, even if the contact is intentional (by pitcher or batter).

But it's not a strike unless it's in the zone or he swings.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maven said:

Why would it be a dead ball strike? Did he swing?

That's what I would have done: the batter clearly permitted the pitch to hit him (FED) and made no attempt to avoid the pitch (OBR).

The ball is dead whenever a pitch hits a batter, even if the contact is intentional (by pitcher or batter).

But it's not a strike unless it's in the zone or he swings.

No swing,  just a near miss... low and inside.  Pretty close to being in the zone.

Dead Ball "Ball" was the call!   Chalk up one for the good guys who don't always get them right. Appreciate the guidance and clarification of the application of the rules.

Just another anomaly of the youth games.

No swing,  just a near miss... low and inside.  Pretty close to being in the zone.

OK, got it. I was picturing something down by his feet, not something just barely down and in.

When players do something stupid, that sometimes shifts the benefit of the doubt. That pitch might have looked MUCH better to me than it actually was, so that it got called a strike!

Hey, you want a better call, don't kick the pitch! :FIRE:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, maven said:

OK, got it. I was picturing something down by his feet, not something just barely down and in.

When players do something stupid, that sometimes shifts the benefit of the doubt. That pitch might have looked MUCH better to me than it actually was, so that it got called a strike!

"You kicked the pitch; don't complain that I kicked the call."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maven said:

10U game. Take that into consideration

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1596 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.