Astro's sign stealing.

kylejt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1382 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Any future "material violation's" of Major League Rules, and they will be put on the 'permanently ineligible list'. Just ask Pete Rose about that list.

This violation comes under rule 21:  misconduct and gambling prohibitions.

It is section f rather than d where gambling is. Commissioner may invoke any penalty he sees fit for the misconduct.

He pretty much invoked the 1 year of the gambling penalty for gambling on other teams. However any future misdeeds will be like betting on your own team (like insider trading in the business world), and permanent ineligibility which equals kicked out of baseball and no chance of the hall of fame while on the permanently ineligible list. Maybe veterans committee can overrule post humously.

So Cora and the Red Sox came to an agreeable split.

/jawdrop..

Being a Sox fan this puts a large tarnish spot on 2018.  I sincerely wonder what they will pull up if anything on him and now that they "split sheets"  I wonder if the Sox organization had proof he did something there and they were cutting bait.

ugh..

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

/jawdrop..

Being a Sox fan this puts a large tarnish spot on 2018.  I sincerely wonder what they will pull up if anything on him and now that they "split sheets"  I wonder if the Sox organization had proof he did something there and they were cutting bait.

ugh..

they were investigating the Sox parallel with the Astros investigation

Cora was the mastermind at the Astros (benchcoach) .... so when doing the math ... yeah, he's guilty.

Karma for being an assclown and turning down the trip to the White House .......douchebag

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

/jawdrop..

ugh..

It's pretty easy to put two and two together.

The Astros report clearly defines Cora as the architect of the whole scheme in 2017, while he was their hitting coach.

Then, he became manager of the Red Sox in 2018.  And the Red Sox are being investigated for the same infractions.

It's not a huge leap of faith to see he brought the whole scheme with him to Boston and did it again.

MLB is going to suspend him for at least two years...and may just go for lifetime right out of the gate.

To what degree Dombrowski gets nailed to the wall will come down to what he did and did not know and what he should and should not have known...and a general assessment of the culture he fosters.

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Karma for being an assclown and turning down the trip to the White House .......douchebag

I'm a Red Sox fan but yeah, I was super mad about that. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Young_Ump said:

I'm a Red Sox fan but yeah, I was super mad about that. Absolutely ridiculous.

19 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

When it comes to Politics and Sports I wont post anything here about it.  I may Grumble about Kap and his stupid ways but, not gonna drag this discussion into that arena  I feel the same way you guys do but Eh He's gone from baseball at this moment, lets not drag it into anything else please. 

Anyway I wonder what this will bring for the Sox organization. My bet is Max fine loss of draft picks and maybe loss of international spending 

4 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

When it comes to Politics and Sports I wont post anything here about it.  I may Grumble about Kap and his stupid ways but, not gonna drag this discussion into that arena  I feel the same way you guys do but Eh He's gone from baseball at this moment, lets not drag it into anything else please. 

Anyway I wonder what this will bring for the Sox organization. My bet is Max fine loss of draft picks and maybe loss of international spending 

Cora made it political ;) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

The precedent is set now,  if the Red Sox had any knowledge at all then Dombrowski is gone and they get simliar, if not harsher, punishments than Houston did.

7 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

The precedent is set now,  if the Red Sox had any knowledge at all then Dombrowski is gone and they get simliar, if not harsher, punishments than Houston did.

Yea I do believe they will go after him as well.  How long I don't know.  I do not believe they will suspend him or Cora for life.  I'm thinking 2 yrs but that would be really harsh.

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Cora made it political, I posted my opinion on that move.  You're the one who seems to keep poking. 

I'm poking about the issues regarding baseball operations and penalties up coming but YOU are the one that keeps dragging the political portion of what he did into it and keep pulling up that portion of it. 

But really What portion of Cora's cheating did he say was a political statement?  hmm

I in all my years of surfing forums have never seen an admin Troll so hard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I'm poking about the issues regarding baseball operations and penalties up coming but YOU are the one that keeps dragging the political portion of what he did into it and keep pulling up that portion of it. 

But really What portion of Cora's cheating did he say was a political statement?  hmm

I in all my years of surfing forums have never seen an admin Troll so hard.

Are you happy now that you have the last word? Did calling me a troll make you feel better?  I'll let you have the last word, ....this portion of this discussion is over.

3 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Yea I do believe they will go after him as well.  How long I don't know.  I do not believe they will suspend him or Cora for life.  I'm thinking 2 yrs but that would be really harsh.

Cora will get at least two years...and it won't surprise me at all to see him get life.   He not only architected this system, less than a week after Manfred's memo, he then picked it up and repurposed it with an entirely different organization the next season.

Dombrowski will depend on what type of communications he has sent, or actions he took...there are some subtle differences here...Cora was working for the Astros when Manfred sent out his memo, and part of his finding is that Luhnow made no effort to communicate the directive to his organization (where Green indeed directed Luhnow to make sure the activity wasn't happening), and that Luhnow created a culture that fostered this behavior...and some indications are there were a couple of emails to Luhnow that made him aware of the behavior, and like Hinch he did nothing to stop it.

So, part of it will be determined by what actions John Henry and Dombrowski took after the Manfred memo to ensure their organization understood the severity of the behavior (especially since they were the ones who got bitch slapped in the memo due to the Apple watch)...and if there was any indication that Dombrowski knew what Cora was doing.  The fact that it was the Red Sox that were the impetus for the 2017 memo from Manfred, I have a hard time believing he is going to be forgiving in finding out they, with or without Dombrowski's knowledge, were doing it again only six months later.   My prediction is Dombrowski gets at least a year, unless some mitigating circumstances come to light. 

The Beltran firing/resignation can't be surprising to anybody....the long-term question is that, until this week, he was potentially, four years from now, going to be a first ballot HOFer - that is almost certainly thrown out the window.

13 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Cora will get at least two years...and it won't surprise me at all to see him get life.   

My prediction is Dombrowski gets at least a year, unless some mitigating circumstances come to light. 

Agree with both of these.   I say 2 for Cora, possibly 3 - but I doubt life.  I think Dombrowski gets a year off too.  Red Sox organization gets the $5M max fine as well like Houston.

14 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Agree with both of these.   I say 2 for Cora, possibly 3 - but I doubt life.  I think Dombrowski gets a year off too.  Red Sox organization gets the $5M max fine as well like Houston.

What will be interesting is if the Red Sox investigation will implicate any other coaches there, or veteran players....lots of possibilities...imagine a world where Pedroia, who was hurt all of 2018, spent his time around the team being a ringleader for this scheme...or what was David Price doing when recovering from his Fortnite induced Carpal Tunnel....it's going to get crazy before it gets better...and just wait for other teams to get hit by the collateral damage...Don't be surprised if another ten teams are investigated before the end of the year.   At this point there is very little that will shock me.   But you're talking to a guy who believes that 80-90% of all MLBers who played in the 90's used PED's.

• 2 months later...

How does a one-year suspension work? Is it based on 162 games? One calendar year? One season of the league?

I wonder how a delayed season will impact those punishments.

1 hour ago, yawetag said:

How does a one-year suspension work? Is it based on 162 games? One calendar year? One season of the league?

If I was interpreting the "ticker" on MLB network over the weekend .......  "if the entire season is canceled, the suspensions wouldn't carry over into 2021"  (NOT verbatim, but what I remember)

4 hours ago, yawetag said:

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

If I was interpreting the "ticker" on MLB network over the weekend .......  "if the entire season is canceled, the suspensions wouldn't carry over into 2021"  (NOT verbatim, but what I remember)

The agreement from 3 days ago just says, "All suspensions of 80-or-fewer games will be served in 2020 if games are played. Should the season be canceled, those suspensions would not carry over to 2021." https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-players-association-season-deal-coronavirus-plan

There doesn't appear to be anything about how the full-season suspensions would work.