The Man in Blue

Mask on ... Mask off ... Mask on ... Mask off

Don’t get me started on what a sham the MPAA ratings system is ...

Too many years running movie theaters and video stores ... and still a movie geek.  :meditation:

Almost every coach comes to the plate meeting with them on and leaves them on, even if we remove ours or didn't start with them on. So to be technical, I'm not looking him in the eye - I'm looking at their sunglasses. I don't think coaches take it as impolite if I don't take mine off when they have theirs on - that wouldn't make any sense. So, I don't think most care. I think what's important is shaking their hand and knowing their name. If we're really about being polite or whatever, in theory shouldn't we take our hat off as well? Like golfers at the end of a round? That seems a bit much.

That being said, sometimes I remember to put them on my hat to walk to the field and put them on after, sometimes I have them on and I don't really think about the fact that I'm wearing them for the conference. If a partner or coach takes his off, it'll usually prompt me to take mine off as I remember they are on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thatsnotyou said:

Almost every coach comes to the plate meeting with them on and leaves them on, even if we remove ours or didn't start with them on.

Is that the standard to which you aspire? 

2 hours ago, maven said:

Is that the standard to which you aspire? 

Care to expand on that?

My post said a different way: probably not a big deal to them/in general. There are a lot more important things I can do to adhere whatever standard you'd like to put out there.

"That guy forgot to take his sunglasses off even though mine were on too". The horror!

I think @maven's point was that if we had the same standards as coaches, we'd all be bumbling idiots strolling around the field, wearing Crocs, basketball shorts, and our shirts untucked. We'd also be calling hands as part of the bats, all collisions as "interference," and giving 1+1 base awards.

Of course, this is not my impression of the coaches who visit here.

38 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I think @maven's point was that if we had the same standards as coaches, we'd all be bumbling idiots strolling around the field, wearing Crocs, basketball shorts, and our shirts untucked. We'd also be calling hands as part of the bats, all collisions as "interference," and giving 1+1 base awards.

At the HS level, I completely disagree. Travel is another story and is as you described. In travel, I don't think wearing or not wearing glasses makes a difference in said behavior. Clowns are clowns.

I've had HS coaches leave them on and we both respect each other, shake hands, use first names. I've left them on while they do even though I usually intend to take them off. Either way, not a big deal.

10 hours ago, yawetag said:

Lay off the Crocs.  Extremely comfortable no matter how ugly.  I live in a desert and wear them every day of the year practically.

Absolutely no need to take off your sunglasses..leave them on.. i wear them all the time... what if it was really bright and you can't see and your squinting when he is talking to you? does that seem unprofessional?

Just leave them on. I'll tell you coaches do not care if your wearing them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Absolutely no need to take off your sunglasses..leave them on.. i wear them all the time... what if it was really bright and you can't see and your squinting when he is talking to you? does that seem unprofessional?

Just leave them on. I'll tell you coaches do not care if your wearing them.

But we both know a particular assigner that has said to take them off.

I started umpiring about 12 years ago and was taught that you take sunglasses off for the plate meeting, but otherwise they can stay on. The longer I go, the less I hear stuff like that, but I still leave them off at the plate meeting. Honestly I don't think coaches care one bit. That is about #300 on the list of things they're thinking about right before a game starts. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:58 PM, JDavis225 said:

But we both know a particular assigner that has said to take them off.

not when your on the field, at the plate meeting he does.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:00 PM, umpstu said:

I have to say my opinion of the sunglasses being removed is horse crap.  How is removing sunglasses respecting somebody's dignity?  I do agree with removing the ask, but I would never consider this a big deal.  Would never ding someone for that.

Agree 100% with this.  Making a deal (not even a big deal, just a "deal") out of something like this is the definition of "picking boogers."  I wouldn't think twice about a person, a coach, etc. talking to me with sunglasses on unless we were indoors.

4 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Agree 100% with this.  Making a deal (not even a big deal, just a "deal") out of something like this is the definition of "picking boogers."  I wouldn't think twice about a person, a coach, etc. talking to me with sunglasses on unless we were indoors.

Then we'd call you Hollywood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I feel as though it's just a matter of (a certain degree) of respect that I was taught while growing up.  Look a man in the eye.  Let him know you are talking to HIM, or, listening to HIM.  Kind of like teaching a millennial that a firm handshake says a great deal about a man. 

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, The Man in Blue said:

So ... when will we see the new Crocs plate shoes?  I’m needing to replace my current 3N2s.

Not til summer.

Breathability, and all that.

• Haha 1