Mask on ... Mask off ... Mask on ... Mask off

The Man in Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1393 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 minutes ago, mac266 said:

Or they're adjusting to your culture.

By the way, I'm a retired cop from a predominantly Spanish-speaking ghetto; you're not going to win this argument.  

Not arguing.  Trying to figure this eye thing out.

5 minutes ago, mac266 said:

By the way, I'm a retired cop from a predominantly Spanish-speaking ghetto; you're not going to win this argument.  

Where's this ghetto at?

8 hours ago, mac266 said:

OK STOP!   We're talking about a baseball game, nothing more, nothing less.   NO ONE, and I MEAN NO ONE is going to feel "challenged" or "disrespected" if an umpire looks a coach in the eye, smiles and greets him at the plate meeting introductions.  I don't care what his nationality may be.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

greets him at the plate meeting introductions.

Now, now, Jeff. In this Era of the Pandemic, we don’t even need a plate meeting. :fuel:

This is the new reality, guys. I shouldn’t need to take my sunglasses off, because we don’t need a plate meeting (anti-transmission of virus), and we should not have to suffer, let alone tolerate, a coach coming out to “plead his case” or get in my face.

22 hours ago, MadMax said:

Now, now, Jeff. In this Era of the Pandemic, we don’t even need a plate meeting. :fuel:

This is the new reality, guys. I shouldn’t need to take my sunglasses off, because we don’t need a plate meeting (anti-transmission of virus), and we should not have to suffer, let alone tolerate, a coach coming out to “plead his case” or get in my face.

I'm talking "NON COVID" here ...........  

On 6/22/2020 at 5:32 AM, Thunderheads said:

OK STOP!   We're talking about a baseball game, nothing more, nothing less.   NO ONE, and I MEAN NO ONE is going to feel "challenged" or "disrespected" if an umpire looks a coach in the eye, smiles and greets him at the plate meeting introductions.  I don't care what his nationality may be.  

It never bothered me one way or the other if an umpire removed his sunglasses while we spoke - I try to make it a habit to remove mine for the plate meeting, as well as any point in the game where I want to discuss a call or ruling.   I feel the sunglasses can cause misinterpretations in my demeanor, and believe they can make me look confrontational - but since I'm the coach, coming out to question a call he just made (no matter how respectful) I believe it is my place to show that courtesy...I don't put that same standard on the umpire...it's not like they are coming over to me to argue about my lineup decisions.

I wear sunglasses all the time, and before reading this thread, I always took them off for plate meetings. I don't think it really matters to most people, do it however you want to. I've just always done this without thinking about it. Even pulling up to a drive-thru window (or ordering from a person with an i-pad outside at Chick-fil-a) I take them off, so this is just something I always do.