Mask on ... Mask off ... Mask on ... Mask off

The Man in Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1392 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost every coach comes to the plate meeting with them on and leaves them on, even if we remove ours or didn't start with them on. So to be technical, I'm not looking him in the eye - I'm looking at their sunglasses. I don't think coaches take it as impolite if I don't take mine off when they have theirs on - that wouldn't make any sense. So, I don't think most care. I think what's important is shaking their hand and knowing their name. If we're really about being polite or whatever, in theory shouldn't we take our hat off as well? Like golfers at the end of a round? That seems a bit much.

That being said, sometimes I remember to put them on my hat to walk to the field and put them on after, sometimes I have them on and I don't really think about the fact that I'm wearing them for the conference. If a partner or coach takes his off, it'll usually prompt me to take mine off as I remember they are on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maven said:

Is that the standard to which you aspire? 

Care to expand on that?

My post said a different way: probably not a big deal to them/in general. There are a lot more important things I can do to adhere whatever standard you'd like to put out there.

"That guy forgot to take his sunglasses off even though mine were on too". The horror!

I think @maven's point was that if we had the same standards as coaches, we'd all be bumbling idiots strolling around the field, wearing Crocs, basketball shorts, and our shirts untucked. We'd also be calling hands as part of the bats, all collisions as "interference," and giving 1+1 base awards.

Of course, this is not my impression of the coaches who visit here.

38 minutes ago, yawetag said:

I think @maven's point was that if we had the same standards as coaches, we'd all be bumbling idiots strolling around the field, wearing Crocs, basketball shorts, and our shirts untucked. We'd also be calling hands as part of the bats, all collisions as "interference," and giving 1+1 base awards.

At the HS level, I completely disagree. Travel is another story and is as you described. In travel, I don't think wearing or not wearing glasses makes a difference in said behavior. Clowns are clowns.

I've had HS coaches leave them on and we both respect each other, shake hands, use first names. I've left them on while they do even though I usually intend to take them off. Either way, not a big deal.

10 hours ago, yawetag said:

Lay off the Crocs.  Extremely comfortable no matter how ugly.  I live in a desert and wear them every day of the year practically.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely no need to take off your sunglasses..leave them on.. i wear them all the time... what if it was really bright and you can't see and your squinting when he is talking to you? does that seem unprofessional?

Just leave them on. I'll tell you coaches do not care if your wearing them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Absolutely no need to take off your sunglasses..leave them on.. i wear them all the time... what if it was really bright and you can't see and your squinting when he is talking to you? does that seem unprofessional?

Just leave them on. I'll tell you coaches do not care if your wearing them.

But we both know a particular assigner that has said to take them off.

I started umpiring about 12 years ago and was taught that you take sunglasses off for the plate meeting, but otherwise they can stay on. The longer I go, the less I hear stuff like that, but I still leave them off at the plate meeting. Honestly I don't think coaches care one bit. That is about #300 on the list of things they're thinking about right before a game starts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 5:00 PM, umpstu said:

I have to say my opinion of the sunglasses being removed is horse crap.  How is removing sunglasses respecting somebody's dignity?  I do agree with removing the ask, but I would never consider this a big deal.  Would never ding someone for that.

Agree 100% with this.  Making a deal (not even a big deal, just a "deal") out of something like this is the definition of "picking boogers."  I wouldn't think twice about a person, a coach, etc. talking to me with sunglasses on unless we were indoors.

4 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Agree 100% with this.  Making a deal (not even a big deal, just a "deal") out of something like this is the definition of "picking boogers."  I wouldn't think twice about a person, a coach, etc. talking to me with sunglasses on unless we were indoors.

Then we'd call you Hollywood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I feel as though it's just a matter of (a certain degree) of respect that I was taught while growing up.  Look a man in the eye.  Let him know you are talking to HIM, or, listening to HIM.  Kind of like teaching a millennial that a firm handshake says a great deal about a man. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, The Man in Blue said:

So ... when will we see the new Crocs plate shoes?  I’m needing to replace my current 3N2s.

Not til summer.

Breathability, and all that.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 11:02 AM, The Short Umpire said:

@yawetag I think this might be the part that caused some confusion. I do understand that NFHS publications and referee magazine are meant to be instructional, I was just referring to the cover and other portions that are not specifically labeled as instruction. They have to make the magazine look good and those filler pictures should not be taken as doctrine. As is evident by this thread even existing.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:58 AM, yawetag said:

The first PG-13 movie was Red Dawn, released on August 10, 1984.

Karate Kid was released on July 2, 1984.

I have been in Referee Mag 3 times and on the cover of one of their books. They pick pictures that match the article topics. Nothing more or less. No mechanical thought put into the selection.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, umpstu said:

I have to say my opinion of the sunglasses being removed is horse crap.  How is removing sunglasses respecting somebody's dignity?  I do agree with removing the ask, but I would never consider this a big deal.  Would never ding someone for that.

I see you're from California.  The culture is different in different places.  In the Midwest where I was born and raised, it is *EXTREMELY* disrespectful to do anything other than make eye contact when speaking with someone, such as leaving sunglasses on, leaving the mask on, looking at feet, etc.  

I see you're from California.  The culture is different in different places.  In the Midwest where I was born and raised, it is *EXTREMELY* disrespectful to do anything other than make eye contact when speaking with someone, such as leaving sunglasses on, leaving the mask on, looking at feet, etc.  
Meh..... I'm from Michigan. It depends on the situation. Plus, ... 99.99% of the time, the coaches keep theirs on also..... no biggie

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mac266 said:

Born and raised in Missouri.  Doesn't hold water.

14 hours ago, umpstu said:

Born and raised in Missouri.  Doesn't hold water.

It would lead to a lot of problems where I'm from, just one state north of you.  Best case scenario is the coach thinks you're a coward.  Worst case is he acts on it, leading to all kinds of other  problems, drama, ejections, etc.  

I was deployed with a guy who grew up just a few hours from me.  At the time, he outranked me (but I got promoted while we were there and matched him).  He started a HUUUUUGE ordeal with one of my subordinates because my subordinate wouldn't look him in the eye.  It almost got physical, and I had to take sworn statements, etc. and make a report to the Commanding General.  

My subordinate was hispanic, and in their culture, making direct eye contact is seen as a challenge or threat.  So in my subordinate's mind, he was being respectful of the guy's rank.  But based on the values where we were raised, in the eyes of this other officer my subordinate was committing the ultimate act of disrespect.  

You have to know your audience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mac266 said:

It would lead to a lot of problems where I'm from, just one state north of you.  Best case scenario is the coach thinks you're a coward.  Worst case is he acts on it, leading to all kinds of other  problems, drama, ejections, etc.  

I was deployed with a guy who grew up just a few hours from me.  At the time, he outranked me (but I got promoted while we were there and matched him).  He started a HUUUUUGE ordeal with one of my subordinates because my subordinate wouldn't look him in the eye.  It almost got physical, and I had to take sworn statements, etc. and make a report to the Commanding General.  

My subordinate was hispanic, and in their culture, making direct eye contact is seen as a challenge or threat.  So in my subordinate's mind, he was being respectful of the guy's rank.  But based on the values where we were raised, in the eyes of this other officer my subordinate was committing the ultimate act of disrespect.  

You have to know your audience.

What are you talking about?  I have been living in the Coachella Valley in southern California for 26 years and it is full Mexican people.  Never noticed the no eye contact being a challenge thing.

3 hours ago, umpstu said:

What are you talking about?  I have been living in the Coachella Valley in southern California for 26 years and it is full Mexican people.  Never noticed the no eye contact being a challenge thing.

No, the opposite.  Making direct eye contact is a challenge.  Looking at one's feet and avoiding eye contact is the opposite.  So it is the exact opposite of how I was raised.  As I said, know your audience.

5 hours ago, mac266 said:

No, the opposite.  Making direct eye contact is a challenge.  Looking at one's feet and avoiding eye contact is the opposite.  So it is the exact opposite of how I was raised.  As I said, know your audience.

Wait.  So all of my Mexican friends who look me in the eye are challenging me?  Oh, it's on.

Just now, umpstu said:

Wait.  So all of my Mexican friends who look me in the eye are challenging me?  Oh, it's on.

Or they're adjusting to your culture.

By the way, I'm a retired cop from a predominantly Spanish-speaking ghetto; you're not going to win this argument.