Abuse of Technology - Umpire's Role in Sign Stealing

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1611 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In the wake of allegations that the Houston Astros used technology to steal signs in 2017, we looked at the umpire's role in enforcing electronic device rules...if such rules exist in the first place. It turns out that OBR doesn't address the issue, NCAA has an explicit rule prohibiting electronic...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/18/2019 at 3:40 PM, The Man in Blue said:

I’m a little confused ... are we taking about use of electronics or sign stealing?  NFHS does have rules against coaches using electronics in the coaching box.

Sign stealing is not 100% legal at all levels ... Little League.

Little League actually makes this illegal... during the regular season, a league can adopt not to enforce sign stealing rules. Once All-Start begins, sign stealing is illegal in LL and the penalty, under 9.01(d): if the umpire believes sign stealing or other relaying of signs is occurring, those responsible, including any player, coach(es), and/or manager shall be ejected from the game.

20 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

I'll go back to my usual rebuttal when I'm confronted about sign stealing...

How am I supposed to know what's being communicated is from stealing signs. For all I know they're relaying their own teams play signals. 

It is what you say it is.  You can pass the buck or make the call ... you’re not wrong either way since there is no specific definition,