Fresh Meat

UmpDC
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1518 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hiya!

I just completed my first year as an Umpire.  I did all levels from Little League up to High School Varsity.  I'm a member of the Greater New Haven Baseball Umpire's Association in New Haven, CT.  My children are all through High School and I was looking for a way to stay involved in baseball, so I decided to get into umpiring.  The players were great and the coaches were pretty good.  The parents in the crowd could be a little rugged at times, however, I really enjoyed my first year and I'm looking forward to making all brand new mistakes in my second year.  I think I'm in for the long haul.

I found this site when I was looking for information on a rule (High School substitutions) and decided to join up.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site!  There's a lot of good information available here.  It's gotten slow as the seasons are ending, but I think people still lurk quite a bit.  As a warning, the "love" levels from some people are set more on "tough" than anything else.  But there IS a certain amount of thick skin one needs, anyway, so jump in.

As long as you're making NEW mistakes, and not repeating OLD ones, that's probably better.  Bringing the overall numbers down is another good goal to have.

Again, welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome! You're in pretty much the same situation I was in a few years ago. You've found the best site on the Internet for learning more about umpiring. Lots of good, knowledgeable folks on here, but like @HokieUmp implies, it might do you well to do some searching before you ask a whole lot of questions.

Glad to have you join us!

13 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

Welcome to the site!  There's a lot of good information available here.  It's gotten slow as the seasons are ending, but I think people still lurk quite a bit.  As a warning, the "love" levels from some people are set more on "tough" than anything else.  But there IS a certain amount of thick skin one needs, anyway, so jump in.

As long as you're making NEW mistakes, and not repeating OLD ones, that's probably better.  Bringing the overall numbers down is another good goal to have.

Again, welcome!

Hey @HokieUmp !!   Don't forget the varying degrees of sarcasm.

:sarcasm:

5 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Hey @HokieUmp !!   Don't forget the varying degrees of sarcasm.

:sarcasm:

I figured he'd find that out pretty quick.  I was going to mention my own role as comic relief, or other titles, but some of those are already claimed.  But I have longevity on the site.

longevity
[lônˈjevədē, länˈjevədē]
NOUN
  1. long life.
    "the greater longevity of women compared with men"
    • long existence or service.
      "her longevity in office now appeared as a handicap to the party". Also, see @HokieUmp
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, yawetag said:

Time for a username change?

The 29 has nothing to do with years umpiring. Just a significant number occuring in my life. I suppose I could use "Geezer" a term used by a fellow umpire (now deceased) for us.

• 2 months later...