Sign in to follow this  
Gil

Manfred Vows Robo-Umps in 2020 MiLB as Players Complain About 2019 ABS

Despite negative reviews from Arizona Fall League players of baseball's Automated Ball/Strike System, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced ABS will debut during the 2020 MiLB season...oh, a video with Manfred criticizing robot umpires has been on the internet for a few years now, but is largely...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

I am so thankful that this will never filter down to the levels I work--at least, not in my lifetime.

He's an idiot.   And that may not be a strong enough word.

The robo-ump is going to call the letter of the law...and there are going to be strikes called that fit the letter of rule that NOBODY wants called strikes

This will lead to more strikeouts and less balls in play.  Batting averages will drop.  Offense will drop.

Attendance will drop.

Then, they'll change the strike zone...then the computer will find all the problems in the new rule and just create a whole set of new problems.

I have a better solution - let teams challenge any ball/strike, and include it in their number of incorrect challenges allowed for the game....use robo-ump only for challenges.

Or, take a page out of the NFL book - they only allow the challenge of the spot of the ball if it creates/removes a score or a first down.   Let MLB players/coaches challenge a ball/strike if it creates/removes a walk or an out.

10 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I think they ought to vote on impeachment proceedings for Rob Manfred........

I never liked Bud Selig ...Manfred is making me long for Selig.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

CCS had a piece on allowing challenges. CJ Nitkowsky from MLB radio was talking about it and tweeting about it. It’s got a little steam. It’s the best option at this point. Let them fix the ones that are grossly missed. I don’t think you’ll see them challenge the close ones. Unless it’s late in a close game and you have some left. I actually think can add some pretty cool strategy. 

Let's remember that in the reality of the here and now, every pitch from the get go, is a 7th game of the world series pitch, as each and every pitch changes the dynamics of the, at bat, for both the pitcher and the catcher both statistically/rules wise and personally, from their point of view.

Any miss whatsoever, is putting them at a disadvantage and digging their grave every time a miss happens, and is taking away the fairness of the game, that the rules are made for and try so hard to prevent, each and every time a pitch is made, and for anything else that happens in the game.

Not to mention the pay for performance metrics that the merit system of compensation is set up for. So every single pitch is crucial and life or death for the players and putting food on the table for their families, or it is back to the coal mines and possibly instant poverty for life.

So, with all that in mind, since you are being trained to hear the beep in the sound system and give the result, how are you to know a ball from a strike when the system goes down and their are no stats to show your own ball strike capabilities from an analysis of ABS statistics/analytics and the fact the system only goes down once a year per umpire. How are you sharpening your skills with only one true plate job a year or none at all.

Or, are they trying to get away from the football concussion issue from 2 separate entities, catchers and umpires, and just to make it a one entity, the players, to worry about with future CTE/ concussion compensation? Football only has to worry about this as a player issue, not an officials issue.

Just put one umpire behind the pitcher to monitor the whole game and make all calls from that position on the field, and then get feedback from 'mission control' managed by Joe Buck when a review is requested.

Face it, nothing is a game, work or whatever you called anything in the past. Life is now an analytic, nothing more, nothing less. All you are is an walking form of an analytic.

• Like 1