Tag up after scoring

Young_Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1599 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Little League minors game. R3, fly ball to the outfield, LF catches the ball and R3 tags and scores. The defense's coach is yelling for them to throw to 3rd and appeal that the runner left early. The runner hears this and sprints back to third. I called him safe, as he did indeed tag up. Should he stay at 3rd? Was he even allowed to run back to 3rd after already scoring?

8 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Young_Ump said:

Little League minors game. R3, fly ball to the outfield, LF catches the ball and R3 tags and scores. The defense's coach is yelling for them to throw to 3rd and appeal that the runner left early. The runner hears this and sprints back to third. I called him safe, as he did indeed tag up. Should he stay at 3rd? Was he even allowed to run back to 3rd after already scoring?

The run was legally scored. It cannot be unscored.

If you compare the LL rules on scoring runs with OBR you will see they are the same.  OBR covers this in a rule comment. I don't know why LL doesn't have it in writing.

Rule 5.08(a) Comment: A run legally scored cannot be nullified
by subsequent action of the runner, such as but not limited
to an effort to return to third base in the belief that he had left
the base before a caught fly ball.

Just to be clear - you mean he tagged up in the first place, right? This is what Rich means by the run being "legally scored".  I wasn't sure if maybe you meant he had tagged up by beating the throw back to third.

Also - to add to the above - this only applies with home and the run scoring.  If he were to leave second, reach third, and then run back to second believing he hadn't tagged up, he would have to stay at second.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Just to be clear - you mean he tagged up in the first place, right? This is what Rich means by the run being "legally scored".  I wasn't sure if maybe you meant he had tagged up by beating the throw back to third.

Also - to add to the above - this only applies with home and the run scoring.  If he were to leave second, reach third, and then run back to second believing he hadn't tagged up, he would have to stay at second.

He said in the OP that R3 tagged and scored and then went back after the other coach started yelling.

In your second base scenario as this is  minors I'd probably send him back to 3B  as the other coach confused the runner.

• Like 1

OBR rule 5.08(a) Comment that Mr. Rich Ives quoted entered the rule book in 1955 as a case book comment for then rule 5.06. Perhaps that is why Little League never adopted it as a rule in their rule book since technically it wasn’t a rule in OBR. From 1950 through 1977 the MLB rule book had as a kind of supplement in the back of the book a section called Notes—Case Book—Comment which was incorporated into the main part of the rules in 1978.

There must have been a play during the 1954 season that precipitated the need for an explanatory case play being added but I do not know what that was. The MLB rules committee met December 8, 1954, so perhaps the last two issues of 1954 The Sporting News would have carried news of the rule changes adopted for 1955. Unfortunately, I do not have access to their archives so if any contributor here does, could you check for any news of the rule changes for the 1955 season please.