Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Young_Ump

Tag up after scoring

Question

Little League minors game. R3, fly ball to the outfield, LF catches the ball and R3 tags and scores. The defense's coach is yelling for them to throw to 3rd and appeal that the runner left early. The runner hears this and sprints back to third. I called him safe, as he did indeed tag up. Should he stay at 3rd? Was he even allowed to run back to 3rd after already scoring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
13 minutes ago, Young_Ump said:

Little League minors game. R3, fly ball to the outfield, LF catches the ball and R3 tags and scores. The defense's coach is yelling for them to throw to 3rd and appeal that the runner left early. The runner hears this and sprints back to third. I called him safe, as he did indeed tag up. Should he stay at 3rd? Was he even allowed to run back to 3rd after already scoring?

The run was legally scored. It cannot be unscored.

If you compare the LL rules on scoring runs with OBR you will see they are the same.  OBR covers this in a rule comment. I don't know why LL doesn't have it in writing.

 Rule 5.08(a) Comment: A run legally scored cannot be nullified
by subsequent action of the runner, such as but not limited
to an effort to return to third base in the belief that he had left
the base before a caught fly ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Rich Ives said:

The run was legally scored. It cannot be unscored.

So I should send  the kid home again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Young_Ump said:

So I should send  the kid home again?

He legally scored. He isn't a runner any more. He goes straight to the dugout. Now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Rich Ives said:

He legally scored. He isn't a runner any more. He goes straight to the dugout. Now.

Okay. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

And if his coach is any good, he'll have a chat with the lad about listening to opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Just to be clear - you mean he tagged up in the first place, right? This is what Rich means by the run being "legally scored".  I wasn't sure if maybe you meant he had tagged up by beating the throw back to third.

Also - to add to the above - this only applies with home and the run scoring.  If he were to leave second, reach third, and then run back to second believing he hadn't tagged up, he would have to stay at second.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
22 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Just to be clear - you mean he tagged up in the first place, right? This is what Rich means by the run being "legally scored".  I wasn't sure if maybe you meant he had tagged up by beating the throw back to third.

Also - to add to the above - this only applies with home and the run scoring.  If he were to leave second, reach third, and then run back to second believing he hadn't tagged up, he would have to stay at second.

He said in the OP that R3 tagged and scored and then went back after the other coach started yelling.

 

In your second base scenario as this is  minors I'd probably send him back to 3B  as the other coach confused the runner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

OBR rule 5.08(a) Comment that Mr. Rich Ives quoted entered the rule book in 1955 as a case book comment for then rule 5.06. Perhaps that is why Little League never adopted it as a rule in their rule book since technically it wasn’t a rule in OBR. From 1950 through 1977 the MLB rule book had as a kind of supplement in the back of the book a section called Notes—Case Book—Comment which was incorporated into the main part of the rules in 1978.

There must have been a play during the 1954 season that precipitated the need for an explanatory case play being added but I do not know what that was. The MLB rules committee met December 8, 1954, so perhaps the last two issues of 1954 The Sporting News would have carried news of the rule changes adopted for 1955. Unfortunately, I do not have access to their archives so if any contributor here does, could you check for any news of the rule changes for the 1955 season please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...