Umpire in Chief

Is it only baseball

Now I don't call any other sports and am not as involved in other sports as baseball. But is there such a mad rush to condemn officials of other sports as there is for baseball. When I go to event's I try not to be disparaging of officials, be cause I've been there. (Ok Maybe I went nuts :hopmad: at the ECU vs ODU football game on the no call running into the punter that put ECU's punter out for 3 weeks, that was egregious and borderline malicious..  As bad as our offense is we need our punter)  

But I just don't get the animosity towards umpires that I don't seem to see in other sports. I watch college football pretty regularly and have ECU season tickets and I don't see it or hear it towards football officials. Their judgement doesn't come under the same scrutinization as umpires. It seems more accepted the spot of the football for example the most that is said is something like that was or wasn't a generous spot. To me that's pretty much the same as calling a strike zone that an umpire would get crucified for. 

Yes there is holding on someone on the O-line virtually every play, but the football officials use pretty good judgement on when to call it. But fans generally don't seem to get worked up as much about it as they do in baseball.

Is it just me?

3 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Now I don't call any other sports and am not as involved in other sports as baseball. But is there such a mad rush to condemn officials of other sports as there is for baseball. When I go to event's I try not to be disparaging of officials, be cause I've been there. (Ok Maybe I went nuts :hopmad: at the ECU vs ODU football game on the no call running into the punter that put ECU's punter out for 3 weeks, that was egregious and borderline malicious..  As bad as our offense is we need our punter)  

But I just don't get the animosity towards umpires that I don't seem to see in other sports. I watch college football pretty regularly and have ECU season tickets and I don't see it or hear it towards football officials. Their judgement doesn't come under the same scrutinization as umpires. It seems more accepted the spot of the football for example the most that is said is something like that was or wasn't a generous spot. To me that's pretty much the same as calling a strike zone that an umpire would get crucified for. 

Yes there is holding on someone on the O-line virtually every play, but the football officials use pretty good judgement on when to call it. But fans generally don't seem to get worked up as much about it as they do in baseball.

Is it just me?

You need to get out more. Check out hoops on both levels and get a floor side seat and listen to Beheim whine and cry all night, or pros with players whine all night. On some power football games if you get a sideline pass you will here a lot at field level whining on holding and pass interference. Nobody watches the line in football as far as the fans. They only see an obvious clip or take down obvious hold. But, I think guys enjoy football the most because there are 5 or more working the game at HS and above and there is more fun in numbers. Soccer is whine and cry all night with players and the flopping.

I think you need some responses from the heavily involved guys though.

Go work volleyball swimming and curling for more fun.

Insanity is far less common in volleyball in these parts. The true loons are few and far between.

Coaches know there is the seat belt option if they get out of control or if the players on the bench act the fool. Coaches disagree on calls but they move on. A coach told me one time that the ball doesn't lie. Eventually the team that is better will come out on top.

Almost every ball handling situation is a judgment call and everyone gets it. Sometimes the call breaks your way and others it does not. Sometimes you get away with one and sometimes you do not.

And there is no film of Earl Weaver berating a volleyball official.

Volleyball surprised me when I started officiating it.  Watching my girls play, I knew the parents at our school were bad ... so I was kind of bracing myself.  But as an official for four or five years now, I’ve not had a single issue.  A few coaches that like to glower and scowl and try to get up on the court, but I was already aware of them and would keep them in check.  They don’t say much and they glower and scowl off the court too.

The only issue I have had was a grandfather right behind me who kept yelling “Four hits!” when there was a tip at the net followed by three hits.  I heard his wife finally tell him “tips don’t count.”  “Of course they do!” he proclaimed.  It started getting comical.  After the match I climbed down off the tower and heard him trying to get my attention.  I turned around and grinned at him; before he could say anything more I just said, “She’s right.”  The whole section around him busted a gut.

When my son played JFL in junior high ... complete insanity from the coaches and parents.  After two years both he and I had enough of it.

I still believe that baseball is as bad as it is simply because there's no real penalty before being ejected. Because of this, there's no cool-off situation. In football, you lose yards. In volleyball, you lose points. In basketball, the other team gets free shots at points. Yes, ejections can occur, but that's a last resort move with intermediary steps before that. Each of these steps gives a moment for the coach to reflect on whether they want to keep going.

Imagine if baseball had one of these penalties. You come out of the dugout to argue while on defense - BOOM - runners are awarded a base. On offense - BOOM - add an out.

Before it's mentioned - yes, I know FED has bench restriction. But that's a laugh and still means there's no "penalty" to the actions.

• Like 1

Has any other sport had the equivalent of "KILL THE UMPIRE!" as the accepted norm?

4 hours ago, LMSANS said:

Has any other sport had the equivalent of "KILL THE UMPIRE!" as the accepted norm?

Yup... or shall I say, “Sí”... Latin American (including Mexico and South America) soccer. There are real reports of referees being murdered after a match. Not rumors. Any time the ball gets near or within the 18-yd box, or a set piece (free kick or corner kick), I’m convinced that the referees say a prayer that any calls they need to make are blatantly obvious, because if they make a “controversial” call, they have courted death.

Want less morbidness but just as much vitriol? There’s an anecdote that the premier Italian soccer league, Serie A, dressed their officials in day-glo, neon yellow from Diadora so security officials could rapidly identify the referees and come to their rescue if an argument or fight broke out.

Major League Baseball could do themselves a massive benefit by either mic’ing the Crew Chief, or educating the stadium PA staff (the “voice” of their respective ballpark) on what the ruling signals are, or create a link between the Crew Chief and the PA staff. Something to explain, even briefly and succinctly, what the call / ruling is. The only trouble with mic’ing the Crew Chief directly actually isn’t the umpires, it’s the managers / players, and how foul-mouthed they are. Something is bound to be picked up off a hot mic.

I had a personal experience in this: I was doing a broadcast game, and I (as U1) had a U3K become lodged in / behind the catcher’s CP. It didn’t come loose or drop out when he stood up, but instead, he visibly reached into his CP to fish out the baseball. I called “Time”, said “That’s a lodged ball. You! (BR) First Base!”. DTM took a few steps out just to inquire what the call was, since he didn’t (quite) hear it. I explained it simply, and we returned to baseball. When I reviewed the broadcast, the announcers / commentators had absolutely no idea what I called, nor why I called it!!! They went on for two additional innings trying to figure it out, fumbling over conjecture on interference or hit-by-pitch, but ultimately, never getting it right.

So now take that, amp up that intensity by dropping it in the World Series, broadcast to millions of neophytes, and let blowhards like Alex Rodriguez explain it. Ugh. 

• Like 2

Blaming and berating umpires has been woven into the fabric of baseball for 150 years. Once the suit and top hat were cast aside, umpires transformed from gentlemen into ogres. Unfortunately, it ain’t gonna change anytime soon.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:22 PM, MadMax said:

Yup... or shall I say, “Sí”... Latin American (including Mexico and South America) soccer. There are real reports of referees being murdered after a match. Not rumors. Any time the ball gets near or within the 18-yd box, or a set piece (free kick or corner kick), I’m convinced that the referees say a prayer that any calls they need to make are blatantly obvious, because if they make a “controversial” call, they have courted death.

Want less morbidness but just as much vitriol? There’s an anecdote that the premier Italian soccer league, Serie A, dressed their officials in day-glo, neon yellow from Diadora so security officials could rapidly identify the referees and come to their rescue if an argument or fight broke out.

Major League Baseball could do themselves a massive benefit by either mic’ing the Crew Chief, or educating the stadium PA staff (the “voice” of their respective ballpark) on what the ruling signals are, or create a link between the Crew Chief and the PA staff. Something to explain, even briefly and succinctly, what the call / ruling is. The only trouble with mic’ing the Crew Chief directly actually isn’t the umpires, it’s the managers / players, and how foul-mouthed they are. Something is bound to be picked up off a hot mic.

I had a personal experience in this: I was doing a broadcast game, and I (as U1) had a U3K become lodged in / behind the catcher’s CP. It didn’t come loose or drop out when he stood up, but instead, he visibly reached into his CP to fish out the baseball. I called “Time”, said “That’s a lodged ball. You! (BR) First Base!”. DTM took a few steps out just to inquire what the call was, since he didn’t (quite) hear it. I explained it simply, and we returned to baseball. When I reviewed the broadcast, the announcers / commentators had absolutely no idea what I called, nor why I called it!!! They went on for two additional innings trying to figure it out, fumbling over conjecture on interference or hit-by-pitch, but ultimately, never getting it right.

So now take that, amp up that intensity by dropping it in the World Series, broadcast to millions of neophytes, and let blowhards like Alex Rodriguez explain it. Ugh. 

I never considered soccer a "sport", at the higher levels it is gang warfare and lower levels it is babysitting activity.:givebeer:

42 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

I never considered soccer a "sport", at the higher levels it is gang warfare and lower levels it is babysitting activity.

You’re not wrong at all! At the lower levels, it probably is the team sport that – contextually – requires the least amount of skill.

At the upper/elite levels, especially at the international level, soccer has become the stand-in for international warfare. Really! It is! Instead of invading a country, Germany just waits and trains for the upcoming _________ Cup and obliterates an opponent that way! Then, don’t even get me started on the Latinos and their fútbol. Point to ponder – the Aztecs were feared / infamous for playing a “game” that was a cross between soccer and basketball... and the losers were killed afterwards! The Latinos take soccer (way too) seriously!!!

When I was refereeing soccer while I was in high school. I got sent to do a game in an area I had never been sent to before. The players were maybe 14-15 and I was working solo, which wasn't unusual. I had multiple red cards for fighting. I ended up calling the game and left. Apparently a big fight between a forward and the goalkeeper was happening behind me. That I didn't catch on to immediately. I noticed it the players broke it up but as I'm issuing even more red cards I had a glass Gatorade bottle wiz by my head. I gave the three blows of the whistle called the game and left.

1 hour ago, Umpire in Chief said:

When I was refereeing soccer while I was in high school. I got sent to do a game in an area I had never been sent to before. The players were maybe 14-15 and I was working solo, which wasn't unusual. I had multiple red cards for fighting. I ended up calling the game and left. Apparently a big fight between a forward and the goalkeeper was happening behind me. That I didn't catch on to immediately. I noticed it the players broke it up but as I'm issuing even more red cards I had a glass Gatorade bottle wiz by my head. I gave the three blows of the whistle called the game and left.

This is an issue that far exceeds today's issues with everything on video and social media.  Accountability for actions has been out the window for years in all phases of society. Coaches are afraid to discipline their players in travel leagues because their team is a revenue producer and are afraid mommy and daddy will pull their kids.

Maybe a social contract needs to be signed by teams before entering leagues/tournaments with a zero tolerance stipulation in place.  I know the baseball tournaments we do in Western PA the rules state "umpires have final say" and if that is not listened to, they are excused from the tournament.  that includes players, coaches, fans.

I have yet to excuse a fan because I am fortunate to have good site directors at the fields I work at that will address it before i have to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GPblue said:

Maybe a social contract needs to be signed

My daughter played on a volleyball team for a few years and the coach made us sign a sportsmanship agreement and we had regular parents meetings. I thought it was great and to the best of my recollection we only had one parent/child "leave" the team for sportsmanship.

This was a great idea and I think would work great -- if enforced. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

The below is all you need to know about the why you are getting yelled at, in all levels today, starting right out of the crib with each human being. 

Are they, those in the article, going to get economic security in light of issues being raised elsewhere?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/11/17/nfl-looking-for-next-generation-of-stars-ages-9-12/40634127/